"You are not going to take the piss out of this football club and you are not going to take the piss out of this city."

dbsweeney

not going to take the piss out of this football club and you are not going to take the piss out of this city."

I'm sure that these words have been written else where on the board, but I've only just read them.

"You are not going to take the piss out of this football club and you are not going to take the piss out of this city." With these words Alan Shearer addressed a small gathering of malingering Newcastle United players one morning last week at the club's Benton training ground.

With all the bitching we're hearing about from the players ... and the lack of any real structure etc. these words do fill me with real hope, whether we are relegated or not.

I think that everyone would agree that our club has been run into the ground pretty much since SBR left, therefore including under the guidance (I use that word loosely) of both Fat Freddy and Fat Mike.

No due diligence done on purchases of players (indeed, little or no scouting of any real quality at all if SBR conversation with Ashley is true:

Wise, his cohort Tony Jimenez and Kinnear were all out of their depth and that is why the club are in such a mess and relying on an unlikely result at Liverpool today to keep their Premier League survival hopes alive.

I remember asking Ashley soon after the club signed Kevin Nolan in January what homework had been done on the player?

I wanted to know how many times he had been scouted and what reports had been done of him. Ashley shrugged, he genuinely didn't know the answer.

I told him I'd be more careful about spending his next £4.5 million! Who would have thought such a successful businessman would be so trusting.

A series of VERY rash decisions made on the hiring and sacking of board members, training staff, players and especially managers.

Rules, regulations and simply just a culture of being lax and simply just not giving a rat's arse about things (especially, as is now being found out, with the players and their culture of apathy).

Stevie summed it up very well in his terrific post a few days ago:

We have had many many years, of the club being devalued, and by that I mean somewhere along the line club lost it's meaning in the pursuit of being a Champions League winner. With the sacking of Robson, the club sold it's soul, by paying overrated players more money than they are worth. When you become a club like that you become an agents dream, the players who are here are not interested primarily in where the club come in the league but more what the club can do for their earning potential and their career, fuck the club itself, that's how they think. When a club bastardises itself like that, there is mass contempt, players take their contracts for granted and they lose all sense, of what this fuckin club should be all about.

Now, all of the above is nothing that hasn't been said before by most of us in a multitude of ways.

---

What I'm saying is this.

In what Alan says:

"You are not going to take the piss out of this football club and you are not going to take the piss out of this city."

We have a basis to try and stop ALL of this rot.

The players taking the piss.

The board taking the piss.

The media taking the piss.

Other clubs taking the piss.

I do honestly believe that Shearer is here for the long run, relegation or not.

At our lowest ebb in 19 years, we can seize this shitty season and try to make something of it.

Shearer has been talking about walking the corridors of SJP and finding it rotten to the core.

I believe he is the man who can be a catalyst to clear house.

Ashley will sell next year, relegation or not--his sports company is haemorrhaging MASSIVE amounts of money. He can't afford the play thing any longer. Reports are saying that he is willing to sell below what he's spent and to suffer the loss just to get out.

At a lower price that Geordie group of investors that people talk about can take over (or, who knows, maybe that rich Indian bloke).

Anyway, what we have to do is lower our expectations (as if they can be lowered any further), and give the club time to build once again from the ground up so that maybe five to ten years from now we can once again achieve what this club and its supporters so desperately deserve.

I agree with you, unfortunately I think it will take Relegation to make us all do that last bit. Lowered expectations and a long time scale are the only way this club will rise again into any kind of football force.

Unfortunately, every season that Fat Ash is here will put us back 3 or 4 seasons in that plan.

I respect Alan Shearer deeply and I'm grateful for everything hes done and tried to do for us, but words mean nothing if he doesnt have the ability to help us win football matches.

Obviously its a little early to judge him yet, but being good with the press and having the gift of the gab with the players only goes so far.

I respect Alan Shearer deeply and I'm grateful for everything hes done and tried to do for us, but words mean nothing if he doesnt have the ability to help us win football matches.

Obviously its a little early to judge him yet, but being good with the press and having the gift of the gab with the players only goes so far.

True. But if given the correct Board to work with (and I don't mean a multibillionare, just someone who is willing to take the time to fix things), what he has in mind (to build from the ground up) is the correct way to approach things.

He won't make rash decisions and, most importantly of all, he will seek out decent individuals to confer with or to take on roles in which he has no experience.

As for winning games, I agree with you to a point. But I do think he was the right choice at the time ... possibly just too little too late on the part of Ashley and Llambias for Shearer to really shape things.

To be fair it's always going to be difficult getting any results with the shower of shit players we have at the moment who really don't give a toss. Rather than going at it like a bull in a china shop I think Alan's got the right mentality to clear out the deadwood and hangers on and replace them with player of true conviction - once we get a few of those we should start to pick things up again at long last. Sadly I don't think it'd matter who was manager if players and staff are allowed to take the club for a ride with no worry of any come back to them.

agree with every word, superbly put

Yes. 5 games is more than enough time to turn our shower of shit around. Let's get....er.....MOURINHO next!!! idea.gif

Yeah it puzzles me why everybody is saying he's failed already.

What were they expecting?

:lol:

I just think we have to stick with Shearer because I just can't see any better options. Let's give him the same courtesy we gave Keegan and let him have the time to turn things around.

Yes. 5 games is more than enough time to turn our shower of shit around. Let's get....er.....MOURINHO next!!! idea.gif

read it properly

read it properly

:lol:

Fair enough.

AS has the tools to be a good manager, but these things take time. Hope he stays on ( I think he will).

So do I. I hope he gets the time he needs if he does stay.

Guest alex

If this is his going to be his mantra it's exactly the sort of attitude the manager of this club needs whether we stay up or not because the amount of players who have taken the piss out of the place is the last few years is fucking ridiculous.