Newcastle defender Bassong stuns Toon: If we go down, I'm off

Craig

Defender Sebastien Bassong says he will leave Newcastle United if they are relegated to the Championship on Sunday.

The Magpies are locked in a battle for survival with Sunderland, Hull City and Middlesbrough and must get a result at Aston Villa on the last day of the season to avoid the drop.

But Bassong, 22, who was sent off in Newcastle's 1-0 defeat at Fulham last weekend, has confirmed he will be not be around to help Alan Shearer's side bounce back up if the worst happens at Villa Park.

'In the case that Newcastle go down, then I would have to hold talks with the club after the last game of the season,' Bassong told Setanta.com.

'Everybody knows that I am an ambitious boy, and playing Championship football never crossed my mind.

'You have to have a plan for your career, and playing in the second division would be a step backward.'

The Frenchmen, however, says he hopes temporary boss Shearer stays at St James' Park on a permanent basis next season.

'I hope that Alan Shearer will stay, whatever happens on Sunday,' Bassong added. 'I understand that he likes the job and is enjoying his time as manager.

'Of course he uses his charisma, status and experience as a player, but it helps him transmit his message to the squad.

'Obviously some managers are more about tactics than him, but he makes you forget his so-called lack of experience as a coach thanks to his experience on the pitch.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...f.html?ITO=1490

It doesn't say that at all you lying cunt! All he has said is that playing Championship football has never crossed his mind. Doesn't once state that he'd not hang around.

That said, I'd be surprised if he did.

He more or less says it though, without actually saying it.

He says he's ambitious and his ambitions are not to play in the championship.

I'd hope that could be said of any player who plays in the Premiership tbh.

It's supposition on the part of the reporter.

I bet Ashley can't wait to cash in, buy young and cheap and sell on at a proffit, that was the business model he had for the club.

Guest alex
I bet Ashley can't wait to cash in, buy young and cheap and sell on at a proffit, that was the business model he had for the club.

'Funny' how the only one it looks like it'll work with wasn't even signed as a result of his soopa-doopa recruitment team.

Unfortunately for him it's turned out to be the equivalent of driving to Spain to get cheap petrol. :lol:

Even if he "makes" £10 million on Bassong, the rest of his asset's value's gone down the shitter. Genius.

Guest alex

Unfortunately for him it's turned out to be the equivalent of driving to Spain to get cheap petrol. :lol:

Even if he "makes" £10 million on Bassong, the rest of his asset's value's gone down the shitter. Genius.

Fine, if you live in the Algarve ;)

Nice analogy though.

they'll all be up for sale if we go down. relegation is going to cost the club about £100m so the wage bill will have to be slashed plus bassong is one of our few saleable assets. i'm sure we'd get mroe for him than collocini

Guest alex
they'll all be up for sale if we go down. relegation is going to cost the club about £100m so the wage bill will have to be slashed plus bassong is one of our few saleable assets. i'm sure we'd get mroe for him than collocini

Exactly. Therefore, he's away. I think he'll be away even if we stop up.

How long is his contract? I can't see Shearer accepting his sale if we stay up like.

Mind, I think Bassong is a cheeky fucker here. A tiny bit of loyalty isn't too much to expect, surely? He's had one good season, and even that's been marred by his inexperience making itself apparent with a couple of red cards (lucky not to get more), which could directly figure in our relegation. But I guess that's football today, sickening.

Guest alex

How long is his contract? I can't see Shearer accepting his sale if we stay up like.

Mind, I think Bassong is a cheeky fucker here. A tiny bit of loyalty isn't too much to expect, surely? He's had one good season, and even that's been marred by his inexperience making itself apparent with a couple of red cards (lucky not to get more), which could directly figure in our relegation. But I guess that's football today, sickening.

Assuming Shearer isn't away irrespective of our safety / relegation, that is. Re: Bassong, keep your fucking mouth shut until the season's over.

From the Chron:

SEBASTIEN Bassong is angry at claims he has upset the applecart ahead of Sunday’s crucial game with Aston Villa.

The Chronicle understands that Bassong is desperately hoping that the Magpies avoid relegation to the Championship and is heartbroken that his one-match ban was not rescinded by the FA.

And it isn’t a foregone conclusion that he will automatically quit the black-and- whites if they are relegated at Villa Park.

Bassong was quoted saying he had no desire to play in England’s second tier.

However, a source close to Bassong said today: “Somebody asked him if he wanted to play in the Championship.

“And, naturally, because he is ambitious like any young player should be, he said he didn’t want to.

“He knows that this isn’t the time to talk about contracts because of the position of the team.

“He will be hoping that Newcastle can do it without him on Sunday because he wants them to be in the Premier League again next season.

“And he wants to play for Newcastle again next season.

“He will be right behind his fellow players and the staff on Sunday, and that’s all he is thinking of at the minute.”

Contract talks between Bassong and United will start on Monday.

But sides interested in the 22-year-old Frenchman would have to pay the going rate in any case, with Bassong having another year left to run.

Newcastle would be stupid to accept anything less than £10m for the former Metz defender who has been the player of the season in the eyes of many fans.

And given that Bassong’s wages are so low there would be no reason to want to shift him off the wage bill if Newcastle were relegated, with substantially bigger earners certain to be moved on first.

It has also emerged that Dennis Wise almost blew the chance of signing Bassong. The controversial transfer chief sent out his scouting network to the Toulon tournament last summer where he was playing for France Under-21s.

But after Bassong played twice against Holland and Japan in defeats, while he was carrying a knock, Wise didn’t follow up with any interest.

And it was Keegan who offered the player a trial before a £500,000 bargain fee was pushed through.

The source added: “It was Kevin who was offered the chance to look at the player on trial and he was very impressed with him.

“Afterwards, Dennis was unhappy and angry that he hadn’t been consulted first.

“But it was Keegan’s signing.”

The last bit amused me, just clarifies Wise's scouting talents for me.

And Llambias' lies / contempt for the fans.

DL: "Bassong, he's good yeah? Aye that was a Dennis signing"

Fans: "what about Xisco though?"

DL: "is he the shit one? Keegan then yeah it was Kev"

Can't really blame him for wanting away even if we do stay up. Not many footballers have any sort of loyalty to clubs and after the shit he's had to put up with on and off the pitch this season I can see why he'd leave.

Not that it'll stop me calling him a useless French cunt after he goes though.

Guest alex

He doesn't actually say he's away, even if it is implied, and no one is stunned by the suggestion anyway. Headline writers, eh?