If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

'Hold on' indeed. This battle for survival is far from over. We have to believe that victory will keep us in the Premier League and we have to believe that victory is achievable.

If that isn't enough then we can applaud the team from the pitch, knowing that failings elsewhere ultimately let us down but anything less than three points on Sunday will prove that the men charged with saving this club weren't up to the job.

If those lucky enough to have tickets don't back the team to the hilt, then they have also failed in their duty and will be culpable for what follows. If we give up then that allows the players to do the same.

If our encouragement isn't enough then - and only then - can we look at others whose efforts may have been lacking.

This will be a day to show some pride - whatever the outcome - to treat triumph or disaster exactly the same, to hold our heads up high and keep the black and white flag flying. To keep the faith.

No tears, no moping, no recriminations, no regrets.

All for one and one for all. United.

If we can all do that, then:

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And - which is more - you'll be a Mag, my son!

It's not up to us though, it's up to a load of twats who couldn't care less either way.

Aye, gonna throw my ticket away and watch it on a stream I think.

It's not up to us though, it's up to a load of twats who couldn't care less either way.

PM?

I can't face the hope, so I've convinced myself we're down. If we fluke a result, I'll be delighted, but I haven't got any more blind optimism left.

I recommend the "Pont" if its nice out. :lol:

Fucking hell this weekend just turned a whole lot more coincidental. I've already mentioned it was going to be an emotional one with me leaving school on the Friday and then watching Newcastle try and avoid relegation on the Sunday, and then this poem goes and pops up. Only about 5 hours ago was I in our School Hall watching our specially arranged Leavers Assembly when this exact poem was read out by our student appointed heads. Yeah, I understand that this is a famous poem that fits well with both events, but nonetheless it seems a little odd that this would happen in such a way...

If it makes anyone feel any better, there were none of the tears I expected there to be today, possibly meaning there will be none on Sunday? That either means I will be celebrating us staying up, or that I will be too drunk to care as the Referee blows for full time.

I'm not sure I really like the tone of that .com piece and the bit that follows it. The implication is that relegation is on a par with armegeddon ("lose to Villa = oblivion").

The club is bigger than Ashley, Shearer, Keegan, all the players that have played for it, play for it and will play for it, bigger than the fans who are no longer with us, who support it now, and will come to support it. It came back from relegation before and will come back from relegation again, if things don't go our way on Sunday. Of course relegation will be a disaster, but it is disaster the club will survive, and come what may we will be kicking off in August somewhere - be it a Premiership ground or not. Defeat at Villa Park, if it happens, will not be the funeral of this club, so we should not mourn. It will only be the latest turn on the winding road this club careers along at breakneck speed. But we're not there yet, we're approaching a fork and we can still take the other road.

:lol:

I'm not sure I really like the tone of that .com piece and the bit that follows it. The implication is that relegation is on a par with armegeddon ("lose to Villa = oblivion").

The club is bigger than Ashley, Shearer, Keegan, all the players that have played for it, play for it and will play for it, bigger than the fans who are no longer with us, who support it now, and will come to support it. It came back from relegation before and will come back from relegation again, if things don't go our way on Sunday. Of course relegation will be a disaster, but it is disaster the club will survive, and come what may we will be kicking off in August somewhere - be it a Premiership ground or not. Defeat at Villa Park, if it happens, will not be the funeral of this club, so we should not mourn. It will only be the latest turn on the winding road this club careers along at breakneck speed. But we're not there yet, we're approaching a fork and we can still take the other road.

<_<

This may be the finest post in the history of this forum. ;):rolleyes::D :D <_<

<_<

Well said Luke.

<_<

This may be the finest post in the history of this forum. ;):rolleyes::D:D<_<

<_<

I hope it reads well on Sunday evening.

I'm having that

word

;)

Be interesting to hear your views next season, if it is as bad as it can possibly be. And in 5 years time for that matter.

Not sure some people appreciate what a genuinely idiotically run club + relegation can mean, the club isn't at all likely to disappear (they very rarely do no matter how big or small - although with Ashley ruling anything out is unwise), but that doesn't mean it will be anything like the last 17 years. :lol:

Guest alex

:rolleyes:

Be interesting to hear your views next season, if it is as bad as it can possibly be. And in 5 years time for that matter.

Not sure some people appreciate what a genuinely idiotically run club + relegation can mean, the club isn't at all likely to disappear (they very rarely do no matter how big or small - although with Ashley ruling anything out is unwise), but that doesn't mean it will be anything like the last 17 years. ;)

Fuck off man :lol: What are you like?

:D

Not sure some people appreciate what a genuinely idiotically run club + relegation can mean, the club isn't at all likely to disappear (they very rarely do no matter how big or small - although with Ashley ruling anything out is unwise), but that doesn't mean it will be anything like the last 17 years. :rolleyes:

Fuck off man :lol: What are you like?

Realistic. ;)

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

Rudyard must mean 'pigeon toss' eh, Tom? :lol:

Rudyard must mean 'pigeon toss' eh, Tom? B)