Takeover talk

donaldstott

Sky Sports News understands that the investment bank representing Mike Ashley is in talks with an unnamed consortium regarding a possible takeover of Newcastle United.

Keith Harris, the chairman of Seymour Pierce, is believed to have travelled to the North East on Tuesday to hold talks with an anonymous group that is interested in buying the relegated Premier League club.

Harris was appointed to sell the Magpies last September as owner Ashley unsuccessfully looked for a way out in the wake of a backlash from fans, who had been angered by the departure of former manager Kevin Keegan.

A number of parties showed an interest in the Tyneside outfit, but a deal was not struck and Ashley ended his attempts to sell his ownership.

However, in the wake of the club's fall into the Championship, the millionaire businessman is again looking to end his association with Newcastle, and talks are reported to be ongoing.

Meanwhile, boss Alan Shearer returned to Newcastle's Darsley Park training ground early on Wednesday morning to continue discussions with managing director Derek Llambias.

The former Magpies and England captain returned to his hometown team on a temporary eight-game basis at the beginning of April, but both parties are thought to be keen to extend the deal.

Shearer has not held back in his criticism of Newcastle's infrastructure in the wake of relegation, and he is considered to be the man to help regain a place in the top flight.

I'm sure Keith Harris has relations in the Mitty family.

Just Cuddles and Orville I think.....

Guest alex

Chez was on to something when he asked if we wanted to be bought by someone who could afford a championship club btw.

Can't see Ashley coming out with last nights statement if he was on the verge of selling.

I agree, but him even making that statement underlines the scale of his problems, I'm sure he'd bail out given half the chance.

Guest alex

If he wasn't such a mong you'd think he had two choices - sell and cut his losses or spend to make the money back by coming up. He'll have a come up on the cheap plan somewhere in the back of his mind though.

don't the people who own QPR want to buy a proper club? :wub:

have you seen what they want to do with it.

3 managers this season have left because flavio rather than them picks the team. season ticket prices have gone up. all the loan players don't work in championship football ( they are all from spain and from places like real madrids youth team for example).

if he could be hands off then yes absolutely i'd take him, but he can't...

If he wasn't such a mong you'd think he had two choices - sell and cut his losses or spend to make the money back by coming up. He'll have a come up on the cheap plan somewhere in the back of his mind though.

Exactly this. If we spend significantly more than we recoup I will be amazed.

don't the people who own QPR want to buy a proper club? :wub:

have you seen what they want to do with it.

3 managers this season have left because flavio rather than them picks the team. season ticket prices have gone up. all the loan players don't work in championship football ( they are all from spain and from places like real madrids youth team for example).

if he could be hands off then yes absolutely i'd take him, but he can't...

Sounds like the kind of thing that could really work for us. :lol:

Anyone else fear that this may have an element of truth in it, that we'll have to go through the whole due dilligence phase preventing Shearer getting the assurances he's demanding with him ending up back on the MOTD sofa?

I know Man City & Chelsea's purchases went through pretty smoothly but c'mon, this is Newcastle United we're talking about.

Chez's comment through Alex worries me too.....

So, DL is in talks with Shearer while we're looking to sell the club?

Something doesnt add up. You would not install a new manager if you were in the middle of a sale, its just not a good idea and not something that the new people would agree to. If they want Shearer then they would (quite rightly) want to sit down with him themselves and discuss terms, conditions, spends etc.

Whats going to happen here? DL agrees to pump in £500 trillion per season in transfer fees, Al agrees and then new people turn up and say "we cant afford that!"

So either, the sale is bollocks or DL is just going through the motions with Al to make it look like they actually care.

Anyone else fear that this may have an element of truth in it, that we'll have to go through the whole due dilligence phase preventing Shearer getting the assurances he's demanding with him ending up back on the MOTD sofa?

I know Man City & Chelsea's purchases went through pretty smoothly but c'mon, this is Newcastle United we're talking about.

Chez's comment through Alex worries me too.....

Yes.

Thought the SSN newsreader said Keith Barrett was leading a consortium.

Silly me :lol:

:lol::aye: Yes Please

Go on Keith, they can't ban you if you own the fucker!

Geordie mafia out :aye: