Owen has lost his bottle...

bawan

MICHAEL OWEN'S Premier League commitment was last night called into question by Wigan chief Dave Whelan.

The striker is desperately looking for a top-flight club after being relegated with Newcastle.

But Whelan wondered if Owen still has the bottle.

He said: "Would we be interested in him? No. Firstly, his wages are too expensive. Then has he got the urge, the bottle and drive to do what the Premier League wants you to do? It's a big question."

Owen's contract with Newcastle ends this month. His agents have sent out a glossy 34-page brochure to various clubs - but not Wigan - reminding them of how good the England striker, 29, has been.

Whelan added: "He has been a great player. But he's looking a bit injury-prone. That's only my opinion. Everton and Liverpool might think differently.

"For us to pay someone over £25,000 a week is a hell of a lot. His wages will have to come down.

"I'm not criticising the lad. He has been a magnificent player and can still do a hell of a job for somebody.

"Anyway, I would think he will want to go to a much bigger club than Wigan."

Whelan DID try to buy Owen four years ago when he was frozen out by Real Madrid. The striker joined the Toon instead for £16million.

Whelan explained: "When I tried to sign him I wanted him to be available to play for England. It was the World Cup.

"I was thinking about Wigan to a degree but I wanted England to benefit from Michael Owen."

I wish Dave Whelan would just shut the fuck up!

Dave Whelan is spot on. Although he does have a tendancy to pull apart anything that is remotely connected to Mike Ashley for obvious reasons...

Dave Whelan is spot on. Although he does have a tendancy to pull apart anything that is remotely connected to Mike Ashley for obvious reasons...

Must be absolutely loving all this like. Don't blame him either.

He tried to sign owen from R Madrid!!!

:scratchchin:

Thought it was common knowledge. They'd just been promoted. There was plenty in the press about it although I don't think they were ever considered a serious destination for him at the time.

I wish Whelan would fuck off the old wanker. Stop fucking sticking his nose into other stuff the Red Rosed CUNT

It's not like Owen is our business any more tbh. Wigan's probably one of the places his agent has been targetting too.

Edited by alex

He tried to sign owen from R Madrid!!!

Thought it was common knowledge. They'd just been promoted. There was plenty in the press about it although I don't think they were ever considered a serious destination for him at the time.

Didn't they offer the same amount as Liverpool?

I can imagine the calls now....

Mike? its Dave, Dave Whelan....just wondering mate, when the Toon play here next seas......oh fuck! shit sorry mate I forgot. Anyway when you go to Blackpool, do you want to call in for a coffee? tea? coca cola? shiiiiit sorry done it again.

I can imagine the calls now....

:razz:

Mike? its Dave, Dave Whelan....just wondering mate, when the Toon play here next seas......oh fuck! shit sorry mate I forgot. Anyway when you go to Blackpool, do you want to call in for a coffee? tea? coca cola? shiiiiit sorry done it again.

:scratchchin::razz:

i would take a lot of pleasure in seeing owen go to a club like wigan and then them releasing him because he isn't up to it anymore.

knowing our luck though he will rediscover his form next season and earn an england recall

Edited by Dr Gloom

i would take a lot of pleasure in seeing owen go to a club like wigan and then them releasing him because he isn't up to it anymore.

knowing our luck though he will rediscover his form next season and earn an england recall

At least take faith in the fact hes not going to knock a hat-trick in against us.

At least take faith in the fact hes not going to knock a hat-trick in against us.

Unless we get some freakishly unlucky cup draw. :scratchchin: