I can't believe this album is 20 years old

Jimbo

Is that the one that had me, myself, and I? My college roomate was really into De La.

Dude- here's another (can't really be, can it?) 20 year old album for ya...

Nin-pretty_hate_machine.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Hate_Machine

That album put me on my ass. Still remember driving around hearing Head Like A Hole on the local college station and going, "What the fuck is that?"

Another great album of 1989 I still listen to...

BeastieBoysPaul

Edited by Cid_MCDP

A mate of mine liked them and we sometimes used to listen to that on the way to matches - I always thought they had something but it just wasn't my thing.

Frightening scan through "albums of 1989" on Wiki also reveals Disintegration and Doolittle.

This album came out before I was even born :lol: It makes me laugh when tubes reckon Green Day invented Pop Punk in the mid 90s

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Oh I dont know. Theres an argument that the Ramones got there first, but they were more aligned with the punk scene. The Descendents are name checked by everyone from Green Day in the early 90s, to Blink 182 in the late 90s, to Fall Out Boy in the 00s.

That the one with Groove is in the Heart on? Got it on me playlist for when I'm driving and love it when it comes on. Must of come out two years before I was born then :\

314.jpg

20 years since that too and it still sounds class. And Faith No More's debut, I think

The Real Thing came out in 89, but they'd had a couple of albums before that, although The Real Thing is absolutely :lol:

314.jpg

20 years since that too and it still sounds class. And Faith No More's debut, I think

The Real Thing came out in 89, but they'd had a couple of albums before that, although The Real Thing is absolutely :lol:

I always thought TRT came out around 91 or so but you're right. Every day's a school day. And aye, it's such a class album. The cover of War Pigs especially.

That the one with Groove is in the Heart on? Got it on me playlist for when I'm driving and love it when it comes on. Must of come out two years before I was born then :\

Groove is in the Heart is by Deee-Lite (1990)

Then I have by far messed up my album art >_<

De La Soul = Magic Number?

If you want to know who Green Day's "Fathers" are listen to Stiff Little Fingers - who were 70s.

Again though, they are more straight up punk than the pop-punk that is around today. I still reckon the Descendents were the first truly Poppy punk band

Oh I dont know. Theres an argument that the Ramones got there first, but they were more aligned with the punk scene. The Descendents are name checked by everyone from Green Day in the early 90s, to Blink 182 in the late 90s, to Fall Out Boy in the 00s.

For the true Grand Daddys of Punk, dare I suggest The Monks?

Bunch of GIs in Germany around 1963/64.

Check out Black Monk Time.

Mental.

Mental.

In a similar vein to mid 60s origins, 'You Really Got Me' is quite "pop-punkish"

Mental.

In a similar vein to mid 60s origins, 'You Really Got Me' is quite "pop-punkish"

thats interseting.....someone once claimed to me that Ray Davies had actually invented heavy metal with that song.....the short, choppy gutitar chords, left hanging in mid air etc, but as you say it is more reminiscent of punk...

You can't really compare modern Green Day with that of Stiff Little Fingers and The Descendents.

Modern Green Day has it's own sound and trademarks and the influences you pick out tend to be (from 21st Century Breakdown) pointing more towards Queen and The Who, there's even some of The Doors in there! It's also aesthetically influenced by the Clash in the sense they will sometimes go out of their way to do something different and they often pull it off.

There's a few things about Green Day that are easy to reproduce but they aren't easy to reproduce well. Green Day songs are really hard for people to pull off well believe it or not. Cool is such an awesome drummer for a start, Billie Joe's guitar technique would cripple most normal guitar players and they wouldn't get through the show!

I think Green Day's individuality outweighs their influences, which is fairly rare for a punk band.

I have listened to them for about ten years and it's easy for people to say 'They just copy/sound like blah blah blah'. The bigger they got the easier the target they were.

Their class is evident and most bands of the genre and scene they were involved in got nowhere and weren't going anywhere.

Even the bands that done alright such as Rancid will never get as far as Green Day because they don't have enough about them. Operation Ivy for instance were class but we only ever going to be an unheard side note on that scenes obituary.

Plus not many bands are capable of half the live show Green Day are.