Pleasing deluded fans has turned Newcastle in to a joke.

TheMoog

APPARENTLY, Newcastle United first learnt that their talented Canadian centre-back David Edgar had joined Burnley when they saw the news reported on television. They then rang the player to find out if it was true. “Um.....yes, really.....sorry, bye....” Edgar replied. I don’t suppose they were daft enough to ask him why he had left, although one underestimates the stupidity of the club at one’s peril.

In the same week the players who haven’t quietly slipped away from St James’ Park while no one was watching returned to training, including a certain Joey Barton who had been told by his manager, Alan Shearer, that he should not bother to come back. But Shearer is no longer the manager. Or at least he might be, who knows. If he is, then Joey should get on a train to Birmingham sharpish and start lamping people at St Andrews. If not, maybe he has a gilded future at the club.

You would need a heart of stone not to fall about laughing at the present plight of Newcastle United — and just wait until mid-August, when they step out at the Hawthorns in their new second strip, inset, which resembles the sort of pineapple cheesecake served in Italian restaurants in the early 1970s, a fabulously hideous yellow and cream concoction. I wonder how many they have sold.

Nobody knows who will eventually own the club, only that it is for sale at the unfeasibly high price of £100m. There are persistent rumours that Freddy Shepherd has his cheque book out, but also there are mysterious Malaysians hanging around who, you assume, are considering buying it for a laugh. My guess is that the average Toon fan would rather the club be sold to Kim Jong Il than Freddy Shepherd — but, as ever, a fairly large number of them still believe that Newcastle will waltz the Championship and that the team has had imposed upon it a level of opposition not befitting to its status as the greatest football club the world has ever seen.

There was one Geordie, writing on a messageboard, cheerfully looking forward to Newcastle’s Premier League challenge in the season 2010-11. You wonder, sometimes, how come Tyneside has a better supply of Class A drugs than anywhere else in the country. Football fans are almost always wrong; wrong about team selection, wrong about the manager, wrong about suitable owners and so on. The best clubs ensure that the supporters don’t have to pay too much to get in and are decently treated while watching their team, but otherwise ignore the demands from the terraces.

Newcastle United’s main problem has been that there are so many of their loyal, committed and utterly deluded supporters that they are inclined, all too often, to listen to them. Hence the ludicrous procession of managers, always following the same pattern: first, sensible man with experience of performing adequately with scant resources (Joe Kinnear, Glenn Roeder) then, when relegation is competently avoided, delusions of grandeur set in and a Messiah is demanded (Kev, Al). I have nothing at all against Alan Shearer and I’m sure that one day he will make a fine manager. But what on earth convinced the supporters that he was the man to rescue them from oblivion with eight games to go? The fact that he once scored a lot of goals? The fact that he is more articulate on Match of the Day than Martin Keown? Or is it just that he is a famous Geordie? Someone probably could have rescued Newcastle with eight games to go — one of those managers the fans don’t think quite big enough for them, most likely. Shearer brought to the club belief, without doubt — but belief manifested in an unjust cause, unfortunately.

I’m thinking of putting a bid in for Newcastle. I have only £400 in the bank right now but that seems to me a realistic estimation of the club’s worth. The temptation is to continue running it as a situation comedy, giving pleasure to millions and millions of people across the world. But the trouble is I would like the northeast of England to be a force in football and it certainly ain’t going to be Boro or Sunderland — so, the necessity is to resuscitate Newcastle.

The first task, then, is to find a suitable manager and give him a three-year contract that will be stuck to no matter what happens. And it should be a manager who is adept at stabilising floundering football clubs and getting them up and out of the Championship.

Neil Warnock springs to mind, so too a revisited Sam Allardyce. The fans don’t like the style of play? Lump it, in both senses of the term. Alan Shearer, meanwhile, will be offered the job of assistant manager just down the road at Hartlepool (I’m buying them too) for a year or two, to see how he gets on. Fellow members of my new board — and the new manager — will be enjoined to take absolutely no notice of the fans, even though there are a lot of them, on any issues other than stewarding, ticketing and the quality of stottie cakes sold on matchdays. The realistic target for the coming season, assuming there are any players left, is the top 10 with an outside bet of the playoffs. Once that is accomplished, we’ll take it from there.

I'd like to say I haven't read such a clichéd, inaccurate pile of shite for a long time but it's just another of the same load of drivel which seems to float out of crap journos like this fella on a regular basis when they think it's going to get them some column inches. The guy's obviously a complete prick ;)

APPARENTLY, Newcastle United first learnt that their talented Canadian centre-back David Edgar had joined Burnley when they saw the news reported on television. They then rang the player to find out if it was true. “Um.....yes, really.....sorry, bye....” Edgar replied. I don’t suppose they were daft enough to ask him why he had left, although one underestimates the stupidity of the club at one’s peril.

In the same week the players who haven’t quietly slipped away from St James’ Park while no one was watching returned to training, including a certain Joey Barton who had been told by his manager, Alan Shearer, that he should not bother to come back. But Shearer is no longer the manager. Or at least he might be, who knows. If he is, then Joey should get on a train to Birmingham sharpish and start lamping people at St Andrews. If not, maybe he has a gilded future at the club.

You would need a heart of stone not to fall about laughing at the present plight of Newcastle United — and just wait until mid-August, when they step out at the Hawthorns in their new second strip, inset, which resembles the sort of pineapple cheesecake served in Italian restaurants in the early 1970s, a fabulously hideous yellow and cream concoction. I wonder how many they have sold.

Nobody knows who will eventually own the club, only that it is for sale at the unfeasibly high price of £100m. There are persistent rumours that Freddy Shepherd has his cheque book out, but also there are mysterious Malaysians hanging around who, you assume, are considering buying it for a laugh. My guess is that the average Toon fan would rather the club be sold to Kim Jong Il than Freddy Shepherd — but, as ever, a fairly large number of them still believe that Newcastle will waltz the Championship and that the team has had imposed upon it a level of opposition not befitting to its status as the greatest football club the world has ever seen.

There was one Geordie, writing on a messageboard, cheerfully looking forward to Newcastle’s Premier League challenge in the season 2010-11. You wonder, sometimes, how come Tyneside has a better supply of Class A drugs than anywhere else in the country. Football fans are almost always wrong; wrong about team selection, wrong about the manager, wrong about suitable owners and so on. The best clubs ensure that the supporters don’t have to pay too much to get in and are decently treated while watching their team, but otherwise ignore the demands from the terraces.

Newcastle United’s main problem has been that there are so many of their loyal, committed and utterly deluded supporters that they are inclined, all too often, to listen to them. Hence the ludicrous procession of managers, always following the same pattern: first, sensible man with experience of performing adequately with scant resources (Joe Kinnear, Glenn Roeder) then, when relegation is competently avoided, delusions of grandeur set in and a Messiah is demanded (Kev, Al). I have nothing at all against Alan Shearer and I’m sure that one day he will make a fine manager. But what on earth convinced the supporters that he was the man to rescue them from oblivion with eight games to go? The fact that he once scored a lot of goals? The fact that he is more articulate on Match of the Day than Martin Keown? Or is it just that he is a famous Geordie? Someone probably could have rescued Newcastle with eight games to go — one of those managers the fans don’t think quite big enough for them, most likely. Shearer brought to the club belief, without doubt — but belief manifested in an unjust cause, unfortunately.

I’m thinking of putting a bid in for Newcastle. I have only £400 in the bank right now but that seems to me a realistic estimation of the club’s worth. The temptation is to continue running it as a situation comedy, giving pleasure to millions and millions of people across the world. But the trouble is I would like the northeast of England to be a force in football and it certainly ain’t going to be Boro or Sunderland — so, the necessity is to resuscitate Newcastle.

The first task, then, is to find a suitable manager and give him a three-year contract that will be stuck to no matter what happens. And it should be a manager who is adept at stabilising floundering football clubs and getting them up and out of the Championship.

Neil Warnock springs to mind, so too a revisited Sam Allardyce. The fans don’t like the style of play? Lump it, in both senses of the term. Alan Shearer, meanwhile, will be offered the job of assistant manager just down the road at Hartlepool (I’m buying them too) for a year or two, to see how he gets on. Fellow members of my new board — and the new manager — will be enjoined to take absolutely no notice of the fans, even though there are a lot of them, on any issues other than stewarding, ticketing and the quality of stottie cakes sold on matchdays. The realistic target for the coming season, assuming there are any players left, is the top 10 with an outside bet of the playoffs. Once that is accomplished, we’ll take it from there.

I'd like to say I haven't read such a clichéd, inaccurate pile of shite for a long time but it's just another of the same load of drivel which seems to float out of crap journos like this fella on a regular basis when they think it's going to get them some column inches. The guy's obviously a complete prick ;)

"talented Canadian Centre Back David Edgar" - says it all really about the article

nuff said

Actually I've just read he's a Millwall fan who was brought up on Teeside... that explains a lot, his opinion really can be taken with a pinch of salt, chump.

Actually I've just read he's a Millwall fan who was brought up on Teeside... that explains a lot, his opinion really can be taken with a pinch of salt, chump.

I read it, alot of negativity towards a small club..unfortunately the writer is neither articulate or accurate

YES I'M DELUDED! PLEASE GO AHEAD AND WRITE A POINTLESS ARTICLE ALL ABOUT ME AND SAYING I LIVE IN NEWCASTLE I MUST BE APART OF THE GEORDIE NATION!

Pig-sick of this bullshit.

"talented Canadian Centre Back David Edgar" - says it all really about the article

nuff said

While the article would be shown up by a splattering of dihorrea on some paper, Edgar is a decent low-end Premiership player whose preferred position is centre back even if he rarely plays there. So given its talented by Championship standards, I don't see what the problem is with that statement is.

Ron Piddle more like.

It's now totally acceptable to cane us, so if you're short of copy, just whizz out a load of old bollocks about deluded fans and stupid Geordies. Then you can stay in the pub all afternoon, with your silly haircut for company.

Other clubs have done much worse than we have over the last 20 years. Every club has hopelessly over-optimistic fans. Every club wastes money on useless players. We've been spectacularly mismanaged and worse than many but it's the fans that have suffered for it.

Liddle would do well not to bite the hand that feeds. Whilst he's falling over himself to point the finger and hoot at real football fans, attendances will continue to fall and the disillusionment will grow. My sense from what I read and hear from a distance is that people are drifting away from top flight football all over the country. Rather than being deluded, I expect people are realising what a rip off it is and how little they matter to the clubs, administrators and pundits. And gits like Liddle will be lamenting the lack of atmosphere and loyalty from the fans that people like him, Sky and the premier league did so much to alienate, as the whole damned party collapses in on itself.

Wasn't this already posted?

I'd be very happy to see a forum ban on anything written by that cretin. It's written solely for the purposes of getting a reaction...didn't that sort of thing used to be beneath "journalists"?

Caught a bit of SSN earlier saying that Real Madrid expect a capacity crowd tonight at the unveiling of of Ronaldo - I look forward to the articles referring to 90000 Spanish fuckwits are whatever the phrase is.

Caught a bit of SSN earlier saying that Real Madrid expect a capacity crowd tonight at the unveiling of of Ronaldo - I look forward to the articles referring to 90000 Spanish fuckwits are whatever the phrase is.

Good point