Joey Barton set for Toon comeback

N17

Controversial Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton could make a surprise return for the Magpies in a pre-season friendly against Shamrock Rovers on Saturday.

Barton's Newcastle career looked to be over after his sending off at Liverpool in May led to a dressing-room bust-up with caretaker manager Alan Shearer.

The 26-year-old was suspended but with Shearer's future at the club unclear, Barton has returned to training.

The former Manchester City player has been linked with a move to Birmingham.

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is still trying to sell the club leaving the future of some players uncertain. Barton, who has played once for England, was a controversial figure at City before joining Newcastle for £5.8m in 2007.

He has started only 26 matches for the Tyneside club, with another six appearances off the bench.

In July last year, Barton received a four-month suspended sentence for assaulting Ousmane Dabo in a training-ground incident while both players were at City.

Barton was banned by the FA for 12 matches - six of which were suspended - and fined £25,000 after admitting a violent conduct charge in relation to the Dabo incident. He also spent two months in prison after admitting assault and affray.

Earlier this month Barton said he wanted to stay at the club, but he conceded that if Shearer does return as manager then the decision could be out of his hands.

"I don't know what is going to happen with the club or with the manager situation," he said.

"I'm just looking forward to going back and my intention is to stay at the club and help Newcastle back into the Premier League.

"If Alan Shearer takes the job and if he doesn't want me then my hands are tied. All I can do is try and get as fit as possible, but I have got to prepare for all eventualities."

Meanwhile, Chris Hughton, who took the caretaker reigns back from Shearer at the end of last season, has been putting the Newcastle squad through pre-season training.

"I plan to use all the players here," said Hughton.

"I won't be looking to play anyone for 90 minutes. My main concern is not so much the performance, but getting through the 90 minutes with no injuries," he said.

"Each individual player has got to get something out of the game. If we have no injuries, we will be halfway there."

The Magpies get their Championship campaign underway against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns on 8 August.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/8143433.stm

Not wanting to rattlle an old cage, but why are so many people anti Barton.

He's our best player by a mile and has kept his nose clean since leaving prison!

He's our best player by a mile and has kept his nose clean since leaving prison!

Didnt he get himself sent off for a horrible tackle and then rant on about the squad and shearer being shit? Or was that someone else?

Very subtle.

Hopefully he'll be gone as soon as we get took over, I'm sick of him making his returns and then fucking up again, then returning.... and fucking up again...

Seems like Shearer is the only one who had the bottle to do what needs to be done.

He is our best CM by a countrymile though, but I'd rather be rid of him instead of sitting and waiting for him to fuck up again.

He signed for the mackems? Great news.

I still think that if hes set on staying then he should show us exactly how much.

Agree a contract for this season thats on a hugely reduced wage but has good bonuses for staying out of bother. Things such as £10k for completing a game without a card etc. Plus an agreement that he stays out of trouble off the field otherwise the contract is mutually terminated.

Oh and cancel that fucking image rights agreement, whichever idiot agreed that should be shot with shit :unsure:

Quite rightly, if we're paying him then we're playing him.
He will be fucking awesome in the Championship
For £60k a week you would expect it!

all these things

• 2 weeks later...

he's been given sooo many chances though.

at some point you have to say enough is enough.

and keeping him whilst he's on £60k/week, and the image rights deal as well, thats stupid.

there are many players who are top championship players, who would fight & work hard for the team, who would cost less than half that.

You can't have one law for the likes of coloccini and one for Barton when it comes to contracts. Or at least you shouldn't have. Plus, Barton on 60K will be a hell of a lot better player than coloccini on 60K and I'll take anything to get back to the premier league at this point.

he's been given sooo many chances though.

at some point you have to say enough is enough.

and keeping him whilst he's on £60k/week, and the image rights deal as well, thats stupid.

there are many players who are top championship players, who would fight & work hard for the team, who would cost less than half that.

Presumably if someone wants to buy him he'll be sold. Other than that why should the club make some ridiculous moral stance no other club would take by sacking him (assuming that's legally possible) and, therefore, paying for his indiscretions?