Bill Gates buys stake in JJB

Jimbo

Shares in JJB Sports rose by 12pc yesterday after the retailer said that Microsoft founder Bill Gates had built up a 3.14pc stake in the company.

Mr Gates bought enough shares earlier this week to require that the size of his holding was disclosed. The shares were bought in his own name and via the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust.

Having one of the world's most famous – and richest – men on the share register was a further twist in a bizarre few weeks for struggling JJB. Last week its chairman Sir David Jones was embroiled in a row with Mike Ashley, owner of the rival Sports Direct chain, over a £1.5m personal loan that Sir David received from him.

News that Mr Gates had taken a stake in JJB led to speculation in the City that a £50m rights issue would be more likely to succeed. Observers said yesterday that Mr Gates could increase his stake and might participate in the issue.

JJB has been suffering recently because of falling sales and rising costs. Earlier this year Chris Ronnie, JJB's chief executive, was dismissed for "gross misconduct" after a controversial share sale. Sir David, who is known for reviving fashion chain Next in the 1990s, was appointed as chairman to turn the company around.

The purchase is not the first by Mr Gates in a small British retailer. In the spring of 2008, he took a small stake in Carpetright, the floorcoverings retailer.

Shares in JJB rose by 3 to 28p.

Nobody else laugh at the thought of Bill Gates doing one of those "Wacky" carpet ads that plague itv?

btw Bill Gates talks like Woody Allen in my head.

Shares in JJB Sports rose by 12pc yesterday after the retailer said that Microsoft founder Bill Gates had built up a 3.14pc stake in the company.

Mr Gates bought enough shares earlier this week to require that the size of his holding was disclosed. The shares were bought in his own name and via the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Trust.

Having one of the world's most famous – and richest – men on the share register was a further twist in a bizarre few weeks for struggling JJB. Last week its chairman Sir David Jones was embroiled in a row with Mike Ashley, owner of the rival Sports Direct chain, over a £1.5m personal loan that Sir David received from him.

News that Mr Gates had taken a stake in JJB led to speculation in the City that a £50m rights issue would be more likely to succeed. Observers said yesterday that Mr Gates could increase his stake and might participate in the issue.

JJB has been suffering recently because of falling sales and rising costs. Earlier this year Chris Ronnie, JJB's chief executive, was dismissed for "gross misconduct" after a controversial share sale. Sir David, who is known for reviving fashion chain Next in the 1990s, was appointed as chairman to turn the company around.

The purchase is not the first by Mr Gates in a small British retailer. In the spring of 2008, he took a small stake in Carpetright, the floorcoverings retailer.

Shares in JJB rose by 3 to 28p.

seems really clever to me. he buys shares in a small struggling company using his own name, the stock rises cos its him and people think he has some master plan, he then sells at a profit. am i missing something here??

btw, he'd make a fuckin Gr8 new owner!!!

:D

I've never really seen him as someone who would buy a football club. He goes around the world trying to influence rich people to give to the poor. The mad money in football would be something he really is against IMO.

If we can somehow get him to start giving to the piss poor too we might be in with a shout.

yep, Bill Gates makes harsh business decisions to make as much profit as possible.

he then gives away his fortune by spening it on the extreme poor in Africa, and malaria clinics, and water wells & stuff like that.

Respect to him.

yep, Bill Gates makes harsh business decisions to make as much profit as possible.

he then gives away his fortune by spening it on the extreme poor in Africa, and malaria clinics, and water wells & stuff like that.

Respect to him.

fucking mug :rolleyes:

Respect to him.

who. him or me?

if you mean me, then i'm not. Because he is using up his entire fortune through the Gates Foundation.

along with Warren Buffet, who gave away his entire fortune of £50 BILLION to the Gates Foundation.

if you mean him, then why is he a mug? he's got so much money, why wouldn't he want to help those less fortunate in the world?

Respect to him.

who. him or me?

if you mean me, then i'm not. Because he is using up his entire fortune through the Gates Foundation.

along with Warren Buffet, who gave away his entire fortune of £50 BILLION to the Gates Foundation.

if you mean him, then why is he a mug? he's got so much money, why wouldn't he want to help those less fortunate in the world?

I think he meant him but he was taking the piss.

Respect to him.

who. him or me?

Linky?

Because he is using up his entire fortune through the Gates Foundation.

Linky?

Gates likewise has said that over time, he will donate nearly his entire fortune to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which focuses primarily on improving health care, particularly in Africa and other parts of the developing world, and on reducing poverty.

Gates initially gave $126 million to the foundation in 2000, and by 2006 he and his wife had given it more than $26 billion. That made it the world's largest charitable foundation; as of this March, it had $37.3 billion in assets, thanks also to donations by investor Warren Buffett, a friend of Gates who has said he plans to give a total of almost $31 billion to the foundation.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/910...an_on_Microsoft

Announcing to the world that one intends to give away $31 billion as Bill Gates did, or $37 billion in the case of Warren Buffet is a pretty good effort in alpha male chest thumping. The poor little omega males are bound to be upset at this display of surplus wealth. Why, ask the cynics, don’t they do it in secret? There are two reasons not to do it secretly. One is transparency. Since Gates and Buffet are spearheading a movement that redistributes billions of dollars, it is imperative that it is done publicly. Given the power their money bestows, the obligation to give transparently is as great as the obligation to give.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinio...4250235152.html

there's loads of articles about it when they made the annoucement... just search on google news.

oh and i meant Dollars not £'s, and it seems the tabloids i read roudned it to 50 billion, rather than 30-40 billlion. unless the fortune changed due to stockmarkets tumbling.

Edited by ender4

Because he is using up his entire fortune through the Gates Foundation.

Linky?

Gates likewise has said that over time, he will donate nearly his entire fortune to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which focuses primarily on improving health care, particularly in Africa and other parts of the developing world, and on reducing poverty.

Gates initially gave $126 million to the foundation in 2000, and by 2006 he and his wife had given it more than $26 billion. That made it the world's largest charitable foundation; as of this March, it had $37.3 billion in assets, thanks also to donations by investor Warren Buffett, a friend of Gates who has said he plans to give a total of almost $31 billion to the foundation.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/910...an_on_Microsoft

Announcing to the world that one intends to give away $31 billion as Bill Gates did, or $37 billion in the case of Warren Buffet is a pretty good effort in alpha male chest thumping. The poor little omega males are bound to be upset at this display of surplus wealth. Why, ask the cynics, don’t they do it in secret? There are two reasons not to do it secretly. One is transparency. Since Gates and Buffet are spearheading a movement that redistributes billions of dollars, it is imperative that it is done publicly. Given the power their money bestows, the obligation to give transparently is as great as the obligation to give.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinio...4250235152.html

there's loads of articles about it when they made the annoucement... just search on google news.

oh and i meant Dollars not £'s, and it seems the tabloids i read roudned it to 50 billion, rather than 30-40 billlion. unless the fortune changed due to stockmarkets tumbling.

Tax breaks? :rolleyes:

Assley has shown how easy it is to be....... generous.... when you think you've got enough £$£$ to build a house out of, but when that amount starts to shrivel as fast as your scrotum/anal sphincter (when you realise you wealth is evaporating), it can be a very different thing indeed.

Why has he bought them anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Respect to him.

fucking mug :lol:

who. him or me?

Sorry I was pissed on pre holiday excitment and vodka. the fucking mug was directed at a mackem on a different thread alltogether. :icon_lol: