A serious question - not an attempted "wind up"!

The Owld Fecker

The point Im making though is that nobody will work under Ashley, we had no takers for the job last time except Kinnear and now we're in a bigger pile of shite than then. Simple fact of life is, its Shearer or Kinnear under Ashley.

I can see that viewpoint but please consider an alternative scenario, in the case of MA staying.

He has IMHO three choices.

1) To plough in more of his cash and risk losing that too. (I think unlikely)

2) Administration. (Again, I think unlikely)

3) To admit his mistakes and try to sort out the mess that he has created (Most likely in my eyes)

If he chooses option (3) then he will, obviously, need to be seen to be serious about doing it by any new manager and that would involve making it clear that he wanted to, drastically, reduce the liabilities, whilst improving the chances of success.

That would mean "biting the bullet" and clearing out the "deadwood" for the best deals that he can get, in terms of fees and any salary contributions that NUFC would need to make, to reduce outgoings to a manageable level - Not ploughing in yet more cash, in the form of a transfer "warchest"..

In short, having a "firesale" and bringing in the type of players to get you out of The Championship (upwards) - Forget The Premiership, for now, that would come if and when you get back there!

By waiting things can only get worse and if he stays I am sure he knows that.

If he can be seen to be commited to doing that then I'm sure that attracting the right manager would not be that difficult - after all, NUFC is a club that many managers would love to have on their C.V., knowing that if they "get it right" their reputation is set for life!

For me, if this was happening at SAFC, I would prefer an "up and coming" manager, who is desperate for the opportunity to prove himself at a BIG club, rather than someone who seems to believe that he is a "shoe in" and would be doing us a favour, on his terms!

As I said previously, for me Darren Ferguson would hit all of the right buttons!

From MA's perspective, if he gets you back to The Premiership, whilst getting the club back on an "even keel", then he can then recoup his losses (assuming that he would still wish to) and any investors would have in place a successful side with a proven manager.

Maybe you disagree?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't recall Shearer ever giving the impression he considered himself a 'shoe-in'.

As for his 'demands', my reading of that is that's what he and Dowie deemed necessary to get back into the PL.

As has been stated in previous posts, the only one to express an interest is Shearer.

Your 'perfect world' scenario laid out in the post above is pure fantasy. It assumes Fatty has an interest on running the club- he's already demonstrated that isn't the case.

The facts are that even of we got Alex Ferguson, never mind his son, we'd struggle to make an impact this season. Ashley has lumbered us with a heavy disadvantage before a ball has been kicked in anger.

Shearer and Dowie are, for me, the only credible option ,who have shown interest ,that we have.

And he's not the Messiah....

He's a very naughty.......

Nah, I won't. It's beyond jokes now. Just fucking infuriating.

Did you speak to any Newcastle fans or just get that from a variety of media outlets? A serious question btw :lol:

In part I was passing on the questions raised by a couple of United supporting friends of mine, who live in the same city, as me, in Thailand.

They seem, as much, puzzled by the clamour for a Shearer appointment (based on their contact with their friends/family at home) as I am.

So the only Newcastle fans you know in person don't agree with the the sentiments that Shearer is a messiah, and neither does anyone on this board? Yet somehow mysteriously their friends and relatives at home think this? Righto, of course you're not on a wind up.

Shearer and Dowie will have the right amount of experience and crowd backing to get us back up. Dowie has experience of getting promoted from the championship (which people seem to forget) and he will know the in and outs of the league. Shearer will have the players disciplined and acting like professionals so they aren't slacking and they understand they have an obligation to give their all.

At the moment the club needs galvanising and Shearer and Dowie will be as good as anyone to do it.

People just like to have a go at us due to this media invented,perpetuated and mocked messiah rubbish.

I don't see anyone criticising AC Milan's appointment of Leonardo...

This

Also the dude at Barcelona, I forget his name :lol:

Did you speak to any Newcastle fans or just get that from a variety of media outlets? A serious question btw :lol:

In part I was passing on the questions raised by a couple of United supporting friends of mine, who live in the same city, as me, in Thailand.

They seem, as much, puzzled by the clamour for a Shearer appointment (based on their contact with their friends/family at home) as I am.

So the only Newcastle fans you know in person don't agree with the the sentiments that Shearer is a messiah, and neither does anyone on this board? Yet somehow mysteriously their friends and relatives at home think this? Righto, of course you're not on a wind up.

I was reponding to this question, from Alex:

Did you speak to any Newcastle fans or just get that from a variety of media outlets? A serious question btw :icon_lol:

Obviously, I have read what is in the media but I have, also, read what is being said by many United supporters on your own forums.

In my reply I said that the two NUFC friends of mine ( they are both 50 plus) could not understand why there was such a clamour for a Shearer appointment (their opinion is that it would be the wrong appointment) based on what had been said to them (pro Shearer) when they spoke to friends/family at home (Tyneside).

They did not see the sense in it, whereas their friends/family did!

Maybe I did not make that crystal clear and if not I apologise!

I said it was not an attempted "wind up" and it is not!

I was reponding to this question, from Alex:

Did you speak to any Newcastle fans or just get that from a variety of media outlets? A serious question btw :icon_lol:

Obviously, I have read what is in the media but I have, also, read what is being said by many United supporters on your own forums.

In my reply I said that the two NUFC friends of mine ( they are both 50 plus) could not understand why there was such a clamour for a Shearer appointment (their opinion is that it would be the wrong appointment) based on what had been said to them (pro Shearer) when they spoke to friends/family at home (Tyneside).

They did not see the sense in it, whereas their friends/family did!

Maybe I did not make that crystal clear and if not I apologise!

I said it was not an attempted "wind up" and it is not!

Fair enough, but I am simply not aware of this 'clamour for Shearer' from anyone I know. There's responses on this thread as to why at this moment in time he may be a suitable candidate, perhaps the only candidate, which I won't bother repeating (but agree with). Even if you disagree with them, would you not agree they are reasoned responses and no-one is expecting, or even hoping for, miracles? This messiah stuff is a media-perpetuated lie, if you keep propogating it it's bound to wind us up, well me anyway.

some of us on here ight want to look behind the scenes a bit. if the team of shearer and dowie coe onboard, we should be prepared for a team that will play not neccasarily to win but to avoid defeats. ask qpr and charlton fans about dowie and whilst his record (considering the players they had at both places at the time) wasn't exactly abject, it could have been a whole lot better.

I definitely don't think shearer is the golden goose. he needs time to learn and a squad equipped for a long slog....

some of us on here ight want to look behind the scenes a bit. if the team of shearer and dowie coe onboard, we should be prepared for a team that will play not neccasarily to win but to avoid defeats. ask qpr and charlton fans about dowie and whilst his record (considering the players they had at both places at the time) wasn't exactly abject, it could have been a whole lot better.

I definitely don't think shearer is the golden goose. he needs time to learn and a squad equipped for a long slog....

I'm well aware of Dowie's record , and don't expect any miracles.

Once again tho- who else is there? JFK?

Fair enough, but I am simply not aware of this 'clamour for Shearer' from anyone I know. There's responses on this thread as to why at this moment in time he may be a suitable candidate, perhaps the only candidate, which I won't bother repeating (but agree with). Even if you disagree with them, would you not agree they are reasoned responses and no-one is expecting, or even hoping for, miracles? This messiah stuff is a media-perpetuated lie, if you keep propogating it it's bound to wind us up, well me anyway.

Thanks for that.

I used the word "Messiah" once in my opening post in inverted commas, to suggest that it was an ironic use of the word.

In the rest of that post and my replies since I have tried to convey the way that I would feel, if the positions were reversed, and what I would then wish to see happen.

At no time have I attempted to "take the p*ss" out of your situation, as I grew up in Newcastle at a time when the rivalry was not as bitter as it now seems to be and had a lot of good mates who supported United.

As a result of that, I feel sympathy for them (not of the patronising variety) - not derision.

Regarding the Shearer question, I don't think even he would accept it (under current circumstances) so he, only, becomes a possible candidate once these change and once that happens the field opens up to other (in my view) more suitable candidates.

My reason for posting on this board is that (unlike many others) most of the responses are reasoned!!

Put another way, it's like having a chat in the pub (no kids) with, sensible, none SAFC supporters

Thanks for that.

I used the word "Messiah" once in my opening post in inverted commas, to suggest that it was an ironic use of the word.

In the rest of that post and my replies since I have tried to convey the way that I would feel, if the positions were reversed, and what I would then wish to see happen.

At no time have I attempted to "take the p*ss" out of your situation, as I grew up in Newcastle at a time when the rivalry was not as bitter as it now seems to be and had a lot of good mates who supported United.

As a result of that, I feel sympathy for them not derision.

Again, fair enough. Forgive me for feeling a bit tetchy at the present moment in time. :lol:

For the record I thought Keane was a laughable appointment for you lot but he did the job (although it was over budget and not complete).

I would happily accept any manager now with any sort of track record, but the problem with NUFC is obviously much deeper than the manager.

Why didn't they ask their friends and family then? :icon_lol:

Why didn't they ask their friends and family then? :razz:

Eh?

Maybe, they had used up their "ask the audience" and "50/50" options!

:icon_lol:

Why didn't they ask their friends and family then? :razz:

Eh?

Maybe, they had used up their "ask the audience" and "50/50" options!

Well you said you know some Toon fans who couldn't work out why there was a clamour for Shearer. The clamour doesn't exist to my mind (although the press would make you think otherwise). You reckoned those Toon fans heard about this clamour from their friends / family. Seems logical they would ask them why to me.

Well you said you know some Toon fans who couldn't work out why there was a clamour for Shearer. The clamour doesn't exist to my mind (although the press would make you think otherwise). You reckoned those Toon fans heard about this clamour from their friends / family. Seems logical they would ask them why to me.

I think that most people overseas keep in, regular, touch with friends and family - by phone, email etc.

Now, ask yourself why Newcastle United would not be discussed when the guys here want to know what is going on?

Maybe, you think that they would/should only talk about things of no mutual interest?

:lol:

p.s. One thing that I did not mention earlier was that I won 10,000 THB (about £180) following a bet with one of them (based on last season's league placings) and he paid up like a gentleman!

I think that most people overseas keep in, regular, touch with friends and family - by phone, email etc.

Now, ask yourself why Newcastle United would not be discussed when the guys here want to know what is going on?

Maybe, you think that they would/should only talk about things of no mutual interest?

Not sure what you're on about there.

You're confused?

I'm baffled!

:lol:

If we'd been taken over 2 months ago i'd say Shearer should get the job. Give him ample opportunity to have a full crack at getting the club out of the shite and into the Premiership. If he's good then that's fantastic, if not then at least we know.

Now I just want a decent, proven manager (NOT JFK or Hughton) to steer us through the storm. Coppell, Curbs, Strachan etc. could all do a very good job IMO.

You're confused?

I'm baffled!

You seem to think I'm having a pop but I'm not. You seem sound tbf. I just don't know how you thought I was suggesting the people you've got your info from shouldn't discuss NUFC. I was saying if the Toon fans were confused about the clamour for Shearer the people at home were on about then they should ask the people at home about it. I know you were asking about it, but we've told you it doesn't really exist. Clearer? :lol:

Aye, bottom line is OF should ask someone who actually is 'clamouring' for Shearer, including his mates' mates and family, if they exist.

As an aside OF, do you know Major Major?

You seem to think I'm having a pop but I'm not. You seem sound tbf. I just don't know how you thought I was suggesting the people you've got your info from shouldn't discuss NUFC. I was saying if the Toon fans were confused about the clamour for Shearer the people at home were on about then they should ask the people at home about it. I know you were asking about it, but we've told you it doesn't really exist. Clearer? :lol:

I didn't think you were having "a pop" marra as you don't come across as that sort of guy.

You just confused me, so I will attempt to explain again.

The two guys I was talking about (having spoken to people at home) were confused about why people wanted Shearer and why anything that they may have said was disregarded with (my words) "You don't know how people here are feeling, Shearer is the only answer etc."

So, it became a topic of debate when in the pub, as neither of them could not understand why NUFC would appoint him, given the needs that you now have, nor could understand why the fans would want him "Great players don't often make good managers - look at RK", was one comment that springs to mind.

So, I posted their views on here.

I hope that now makes sense.

I didn't think you were having "a pop" marra as you don't come across as that sort of guy.

The two guys I was talking about (having spoken to people at home) were confused about why people wanted Shearer and why anything that they may have said was disregarded with (my words) "You don't know how people here are feeling, Shearer is the only answer etc."

So, it became a topic of debate when in the pub, as neither of them could not understand why NUFC would appoint him, given the needs that you now have, nor could understand why the fans would want him "Great players don't often make good managers - look at RK", was one comment that springs to mind.

I suppose it's more a case of Shearer being the only viable option. That's because of circumstances rather than (as you suggested in the OP) many people just assuming he'll be great.

We have to get the Shearer years out of the way tbh. I think given 5 to 10 years he could be amazing for us. But it might take 3 years for him to cut his teeth. Will the next tosspot owners give him, or anyone, that kind of time?

It's always been clear man. Point is, why don't your friends ask the people who are feeling that way rather than canvass opinion on here, where people don't? I'm sure some people may feel Shearer is the solution to all our problems, but I'm willing to bet they probably aren't even match goers. It's just a misperception propogated by the media and football fans who like to characterture us, that's all. Basically, it's bollocks.

Aye, bottom line is OF should ask someone who actually is 'clamouring' for Shearer, including his mates' mates and family, if they exist.

As an aside OF, do you know Major Major?

Sorry marra, you are now becoming tiresome.

Do you think that I am going to start, frantically, phoning/emailing people in the UK, in an attempt to establish some form of opinion poll, on NUFC?

No chance!

Even then, though, I reckon that you would wish to know the "sample" size, together with age and socio-economic groupings, etc. etc. etc., with the poll verified by an independent source!

I, posted what I was told and if you don't like it, don't believe it - TOUGH!

With regards to "Major Major", I recognise the name as a username on RTG but have no idea who he is in real life - In case you are thinking it might be me, it is not!!!