Carling Cup Round

Christmas Tree

The draw for the third round of the Carling Cup takes place at 12.15pm today. The teams in the pot are:

1. Arsenal

2. Aston Villa

3. Barnsley

4. Birmingham City

5. Blackburn Rovers

6. Blackpool

7. Bolton Wanderers

8. Burnley

9. Cardiff City

10. Carlisle United

11. Chelsea

12. Everton

13. Fulham

14. Hull City

15. Leeds United

16. Liverpool

17. Manchester City

18. Manchester United

19. Newcastle United

20. Nottingham Forest

21. Peterborough United

22. Port Vale

23. Portsmouth

24. Preston North End

25. Queens Park Rangers

26. Scunthorpe United

27. Stoke City

28. Sunderland

29. Tottenham Hotspur

30. West Bromwich Albion

31. West Ham United

32. Wolverhampton Wanderers

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal v West Bromwich Albion

Aston Villa v Cardiff City

Barnsley v Burnley

Bolton Wanderers v West Ham United

Carlisle United v Portsmouth

Chelsea v Queens Park Rangers

Hull City v Everton

Leeds United v Liverpool

Manchester City v Fulham

Manchester United v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Nottingham Forest v Blackburn Rovers

Peterborough United v Newcastle United

Preston North End v Tottenham Hotspur

Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Stoke City v Blackpool

Sunderland v Birmingham City

Ties to be played during the week commencing 21st September 2009

Edited by Christmas Tree

Not sure about this. We're not going to win it and I don't think the money will make a difference. I guess field the kids again and see how it goes. If it looks like, with more experienced players brought on, we could win it then fine, but if we'd be chasing a lost cause, keep Strola and the like on the bench.

Sad to say it but the Carling Cup isn't our concern this year. Naturally I want us to do well but we've got much bigger fish to fry.

Sad to say it but the Carling Cup isn't our concern this year. Naturally I want us to do well but we've got much bigger fish to fry.

This is the problem, i don't want us to lose any individual match but we won't win the cup and the more fixtures that pile up the more it wrecks our promotion bid which is all that matters. So i'd be playing the kids and if we lose, so be it, but we need to rest key players and also avoid them picking up injuries.

And, since we have such a small squad, we need the kids to get experience at first team level because they will be needed this season in the league.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Not sure about this. We're not going to win it and I don't think the money will make a difference. I guess field the kids again and see how it goes. If it looks like, with more experienced players brought on, we could win it then fine, but if we'd be chasing a lost cause, keep Strola and the like on the bench.

Fuck me Fishy, get yerself on Ebay and buy this......

stop_worrying_and_start_living.gif

Listen, Christmas Twat, I've said exactly the same as everybody else. League cup isn't our priority, not even close, so play a few kids and see how it goes, but don't risk any first teamers. We need to win League games, everything else, Everything Else, is ancillary.

So, zip it.

Fuck me Fishy, get yerself on Ebay and buy this......

stop_worrying_and_start_living.gif

Is this honestly coming from the man who's bragging about posting our tie the quickest? :lol:

I honestly couldnt give a fuck about the Carling Cup, didnt care when we were a nice, safe mid table Premiership club, seriously couldnt give a fuck about it now were relegated

I'm sure alot share your view and I'm equally sure alot will change that view should we reach the semis or even wembley.

And it's a shame also, because as happy face, I think, said earlier, it was one of the best matches and st. James for a few years.

People should just enjoy their footy. The politics will be sorted eventually and no amount of pointless fretting is going to make a scrap of difference.

I'm sick to death of reading "don't worry, next week," etc by a certain twat, so please don't take this as support for their bullshit Ashley arse licking PR.

But Burnley managed two decent cup runs last season and were promoted.

They were absolutely arse raped by Chelsea earlier today but unlike us they're in the top flight and have the opportunity to offer their arse to the likes of Chelsea.

Problem is Ashley will gut us like a fish and we will barely be able to field a senior first team 11 come end of Jan 2010.

People should just enjoy their footy. The politics will be sorted eventually and no amount of pointless fretting is going to make a scrap of difference.

Its nothing to do with politics, its keeping your arse safe for the more important things such as staving off another relegation or (hopes) pushing for promotion, things such as this for little clubs such as ourselves are a distraction that we cant afford.

Its time people got into the real world and realised we are no longer competition, we didnt win this competition when we were a force to be reckoned with, now we're just some other championship club then we're there for the arse raping once we get one of the bigger boys in the shower that is the Carling Cup.

I for one, dont want us to miraculously get as far as the quarters with lucky draws only to find we lose three of four of our players due to injury and the additional games to then draw Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U and be given a lesson in just how far we have dropped.

But pud, we haven't been "competition" as you put it many years, but you can still enjoy each match as it happens.

The big difference is there are some on this board who seemed to have lost reality with the game of football. For me it's about the build up to matchday, the match, the phone ins etc.

Why worry. I mean really, what is the point. All these cups and games and Injuries will happen regardless and all we can do is enjoy the ride match by match.

We haven't won a domestic cup in my lifetime so getting beat in the cups is nothing new.

The only thing you and some of the doom merchants on here can change is how you feel about the situation. You can either worry and always be concerned with what might happen or take each game as it comes and enjoy your footy.

But for me its a sense of guarding what we can and not causing ourselves any further complications.

Is it not best though, to put out a decent starting 11, hopefully win and maintain our momentum. One defeat, even with a reserve side out can easily wreck a good run.

Just look at what happened to Aston Villa after they played a team of kids in the UEFA Cup last season.

But for me its a sense of guarding what we can and not causing ourselves any further complications.

but my point is "we" can't guard anything. You do websites, I drive a cab. Nothing either of us can do so stop worrying!

What will be , will be ... Que sera. :-)

but my point is "we" can't guard anything. You do websites, I drive a cab. Nothing either of us can do so stop worrying!

What will be , will be ... Que sera. :-)

He's entitled to his opinion about what sort of team we should play though. And I agree. We've such a small squad, we need to bring kids through and league cup is the time to do it. It's also folly to flog our first teamers to death when they're so many games to go. I don't think that's being a doom and gloom merchant, it's just common sense.