The Guitar Thread

Tom

Yeh I've seen them on the 'robot guitars'.

I just tune by ear or if I'm using an open tuning I'll use the tuner on my phone. Someone slap me if I ever get to the stage where I need a guitar that tunes itself :lol:

:up:

• 4 weeks later...

As stated in the 'What Mood are you in and why' thread I bought myself a Ditto X2 Looper which is a quality little bit of kit. I've been after a looper for years but the only ones worth buying were very, very expensive for what you get and this little box does more for less.

If you're new to lead guitar it's also pretty handy as you can play over your own rhythm pieces etc. The sound quality is pretty decent and you can record up to five minutes with unlimited overdubs which is pretty insane. It also has a 1/2 speed feature and a reverse feature which is mental. If you record in 1/2 speed and go back to normal it plays it in double speed so it's full of tricks too. :lol:

I've been doing a lot with it recently including getting some awesome Led Zeppelin tones from it via double tracking my Les Paul - you can real start to hear what they were doing. In addition it works really well for harmony too - it's pretty amusing although I'm finding harmony difficult at times because if there's 3 guitars in the solo it can be hard to find out what is supposed to harmonize with what!

In the background of the Vine below you can hear sweep picked arpeggios Cm,Em & Fm reversed at half speed with chords played over the top. It's 'Bliss'' by muse but it had been pretty messed with by then so sounds a little trippy https://vine.co/v/M7051n36Udg

Endless fun for £145 :up:

That looks and sounds like a pretty interesting toy Tom. I remember back in the day when I picked up a Digitech EchoPlus with 8 sec digital delay / sampling. Always wanted to play like Brian May on the live version of Brighton Rock. Never quite got there ;) Sadly I burned out the EchoPlus a few years back, loved that thing. I'll have to look around for this Looper.

On a side note, I pulled my old Ibanez out last week. It's an old "golden era" RG560. After playing pretty much nothing but my mandolin for the past year, that neck felt HUGE! I've still got the bug for a Gibson, but am actually thinking about a Les Paul now instead of an ES series.

My strat is a 1954 reissue and the neck is tiny on it. Feels like I'm choking a chicken.

Still want a Les Paul but can't really justify getting a proper one. Have been thinking about getting an epiphone LP Custom or Black Beauty but don't really know enough about them.

Very true Tom :) Does your LP have the slim 60's neck?

Gemmill I think I have seen the Les Paul Futura's in the 1k USD range. Not sure how much more than an Epiphone that is. The Futura has the 'modern' weight reduction - not sure if that affects the tone. Also not sure what the quality of the pickups are, but it does have the slim 60's neck. I've been thinking about one of those.

My strat is a 1954 reissue and the neck is tiny on it. Feels like I'm choking a chicken.

Still want a Les Paul but can't really justify getting a proper one. Have been thinking about getting an epiphone LP Custom or Black Beauty but don't really know enough about them.

I think it's all about timing. Gibson seem to release a lot of shite most of the time and it's generally overpriced. Occasionally you'll find a run of Les Paul's worth buying or you could settle for a standard at a time when the price is reasonable. I got mine for £999 and the same guitar retails at £1400 now. Of course you could buy it on tick but personally it's not something I would do.

Very true Tom :) Does your LP have the slim 60's neck?

Gemmill I think I have seen the Les Paul Futura's in the 1k USD range. Not sure how much more than an Epiphone that is. The Futura has the 'modern' weight reduction - not sure if that affects the tone. Also not sure what the quality of the pickups are, but it does have the slim 60's neck. I've been thinking about one of those.

Aye mines the slim neck. Although it's not really a Slim neck - it's just slim for a Les Paul and of course the heel is ridiculous as usual.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reminded this morning how much I hate the Floyd Rose floating trem. Forgot what a pain in the arse it is to change strings - and not break them. Time for a fixed bridge rig I think. I never used the ole whammy much anyway.

I think mine's an Edge III which is Ibanez's own version. I originally had a fuck on when I first got an Ibanez years ago but now I just change one string at a time - that seems to work well.

Incidentally I've been guitar shopping today in my hunt for a Fender Telecaster. I very, very nearly parted with money for a Fender Telecaster 'Cabronita' but didn't as there's no tone control - only a master volume - which frankly baffles me. Other than that it was beautiful and it had one of the nicest necks I've played on a Tele. There was another issue in parting £600 for a Mexican made guitar - for some reason I can't get past that however good the guitar - which is bat shit.

Anyway the telecaster search goes on. :up:

I've actually heard that some of the Fenders coming out of Mexico are pretty good, but it's hit or miss on whether you get a good one so you have to play it as opposed to going through Sweetwater, Zzounds, etc.

Odd that they have a Tele with no tone control. You see that on some of the new metal and prog guitars like some of the Iron Label series from Ibanez. Wouldn't think of a Tele as a metal unit.

Good luck on your search! MIne has just been made a bit more difficult. I stopped in the shop this week to get a feel for a Les Paul. Wanted to see how I liked the weight and bulk. While I was there, I noticed one of the new Ibanez Prestige units and had to check it out. It's one sexy beast. Also considering something with active pickups like the EMG 60/81 setup on the new Ibanez rigs. Thought I was pretty determined to get a Gibson, but the new Ibanez Prestige and Iron Labels are grabbing my attention a bit. Still have some time to think while I wait for my bonus check :lol:

The pickups are basically Fender's version of a Gretsch filtertron - so in retrospect I think they have enough dynamic range to get by without a tone control - plus I think you'll get enough control out of the tone just with the volume and some clever playing. So rather than a standard telecaster setup which can cut through a thick mix I think they had a different sound in mind.

I was after a standard telecaster setup mind - which this is not but I reckon I'm so enamoured with this guitar I'm going to have to buy it and I'll plug the regular tele gap at a later date. :lol:

Not sure whether to get it in white (you can see the grain a bit) or gold - which is a funny colour for a guitar.

I think you can actually get Les Paul's with active pickups but you probably aren't going to find one that is as accessible as an Ibanez for comfort etc. It might be worth just polishing your old Ibanez up and trying something new :up:

Nice, congrats on the new toy Tom. Yeah, I got my old Ibanez sorted last night. I think the main thing is that it has an S S D setup and a nice bluesy sound, so my next will be on the other end. Humbuckers of some flavor bridge and neck with some nice crunch.

I'm going to try it again first but I've had the shop order it in for me :D

A lot of Ibanez's sound lush for whatever reason - on a budget too.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha I'm not really after a 'dream guitar' as much as I am accruing them out of habit :lol:

Though you can't go wrong with a Les Paul :up: