The Guitar Thread

Tom

Those new electronics sound class mind. I would only really use the lead mode & reverse phase.

I could fancy trying one now but I really can't afford another guitar at the moment! :lol:

They seem to have out some thought into it at least, getting rid of that locking jack, I've a mate with a 2008 standard with the locking one whose nearly broke his back stepping on his lead then standing up and being wrenched back down, surely preferable to just have the lead came out.

I had a Good look over the 7 or so right handers they had in stock and the finish and fit of everything seems a lot better than Gibson have been throwing out lately enough so that Im confident that playing the cherry one will translate to what I've ordered.

It's gunna be ages though, like I said there aren't any available in Europe never mind England. Guy at dawsons said Gibson will say "2-6 months" but that could mean owt from 2 weeks to 9 months. They already had one on order for general stock though so they've just stuck my name on that and halved the deposit fr it since it was already ordered which is pretty cool of them, can't fault the service so far.

I don't have lockign jacks like - as above - they are lethal!

I think the quality on new standards will probably be quite high after the criticism they have received in the past though given the amount of sales they make on name alone it's not surprising when it dips a bit.

To be honest they'd feel like tits having your deposit for nine months or whatever, it's normally about 10% depending on whether it's on tick or cash no?

• 1 month later...

Well, today was the day.

After many trials and tribulations, false starts and poor decisions I now own a Gibson Les Paul

2012 Standard, Trans Black, the top is stunning, I told myself ages ago I wouldn't get another black guitar but this lady blew me away.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

Guest CabayeAye

I used to play guitar a few years back and thought I'd take up the bass. Got mine today:

35147_l.jpg

Yamaha RBX 374 - Pictures don't do it justice, it's beautiful in the flesh.

Started playing and immediately realised that all my bad guitar habits that you shouldn't do on bass were still there. Still struggling to use my pinky rather than sliding up and down constantly!

Having a lot of fun playing with a pick though, the thick strings mean you can really hammer away with the pace. And Hysteria is a bit easier on bass than it is on guitar!

I used to play guitar a few years back and thought I'd take up the bass. Got mine today:

35147_l.jpg

Yamaha RBX 374 - Pictures don't do it justice, it's beautiful in the flesh.

Started playing and immediately realised that all my bad guitar habits that you shouldn't do on bass were still there. Still struggling to use my pinky rather than sliding up and down constantly!

Having a lot of fun playing with a pick though, the thick strings mean you can really hammer away with the pace. And Hysteria is a bit easier on bass than it is on guitar!

I've been playing for nearly 10 years. Great instrument! welcome to the club.

Guest CabayeAye

I've been playing for nearly 10 years. Great instrument! welcome to the club.

You have gone straight up in my estimation! 10 years?! Have you got this muting business sorted yet? It's all alien to me. Still trying to mute with a pick in my hand!

Guest CabayeAye

As in palm muting or muting strings after you've played em?

Muting strings after you've played them. WIth your thumb and ring finger apparently.

Any of you boys with fancy guitars write your own stuff? We should get a thread going where people can post their own music... I like to write the odd song but am more about the lyrics and singing than guitar playing due to my appauling guitar skills lol, so unless you want to hear someone thrashing the strings in an unrhythmic i'll not be the 1st to post owt lol :D

Guest CabayeAye

if you practice with a metronome. slap it at 70bpm on 6/8. and do triplets alternating opening strings. so E/A then E//D then E/G and back. you'll be good at it in two hours.

Any good metronomes to download?

thankye.

Gave it a bit of a setup (not that there was anything wrong with the factory one I just prefer a few other touches) strings changed (10's) and wrapped over the stop bar with that screwed right down to contact with the body, lowered the bridge a little bit to bring the action down slightly higher up the neck and shes a beauty.

For those of you who actually know what you are doing, I'd like to ask your opinions. Did you get "proper" lessons when you were learning, or did you teach yourself? If you got lessons, were they useful? Would you recommend them? Obviously people are different and different teachers will work for different people etc, but I'd like to get a general feel for what people who can actually play think. Looking to start learning, hopefully when I get positive results for my last (!) exam at the end of the month.

Edit:

Also, do you reckon something like this could actually work to teach people how to play guitar?

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-gb/home/index.aspx

Edited by Bonamental

well if I go to eurogamer next month I'll let you know about rocksmith, its going to be there.

as for lessons, I got them, the bloke who taught me did mostly songs rather than theory or technique.

depends what kind of playing you want to aim at I think though a healthy mix is good, if you learn to read tab then you can get songs from all over the 'net and learn whatever takes your fancy, aim for a teacher to give you the theory and technique to do it.

• 3 months later...