The Guitar Thread

Tom

Here are some pics. She's a '12 MIJ 62 reissue. I have always been partial to the Japanese builds. Overall quality and tone are great. I'm so comfortable with my late 80's Ibanez RG (great Japanese build also), that I was hoping the new fiddle wouldn't be too much of a change. I have to say, only having it for a day, she feels like an old friend. Love the neck on this thing. I think they shipped it with 9's so I will switch up to 10's, but I am pleased with how great this thing feels. Only adjustment I will need to make is where I post - which will probably be on the flange of the tray I suppose.

Tele_1_s.jpg

Tele_2_s.jpg

Tele_3_s.jpg

Tele_4_s.jpg

I went through Ishibashi music and they were great to deal with. They are limited to only selling used gear overseas, but they have quite a selection. This is a '12 and I have been looking very hard to see signs of wear. Hard for me to believe it was picked up more than once or twice. Great condition.

:boogie:

Very nice. I've got a MIJ strat 60s reissue that I got in about 89 or 90. Can't remember the exact reissue year - it's got a really thin maple neck though and was really easy to learn on because of how thin the neck was. I always thought the MIJ Fenders were a bit ropey, but when I looked into it a few years back, turns out they're quite well sought after because of the build quality.

Looks class Graing! Personally I prefer block colours or stain to quilted tops but that's just me.

The Japanese guitars are class but I'm yet to get my hands on one! I've played a few like!

• 2 months later...

Recently I've been listening to a lot of Howlin' Wolf so made the decision to put some Flatwounds on the ES339. After however many years of playing roundwounds I've really enjoyed the difference, the sound is really strange and they are class for blues or for more percussive guitar playing. Definitely worth a go if you haven't used them before, although having been a user of 09s forever stepping up to 11s feels like a big ask, they don't quite bend as well as I'd like and it takes a lot of effort to go a couple of notes up - though as a consequence of that the vibrato comes easier, so every cloud! Also it's like £18 a set - which frankly is obscene.

Anyway the guitar sounds class with them - bends are a lot harder but alt picking etc is a lot easier. I'm going to try the La Bella 09s that Joe Bonamassa uses next and hope they're a bit more flexible.

• 4 weeks later...

I've ended up buying a Cort MBC1, which is Matt Bellamy's (MUSE) signature guitar. It was designed by Matt & Hugh Manson & whilst I've wanted a Manson guitar for a while I simply don't have £4000 to spend, in addition to that they take about a year to make!

I'd heard there was a Cort model coming out but didn't know exactly when - turns out it was last year and I'm really lame at paying attention. So anyway it sprung up on Guitar Guitars website yesterday and I pretty much clicked ''add to basket'' straight away, although I did at least scour some reviews before clicking confirm. Obviously get its 5/5 in pretty much every review & it's received a few awards etc.

So often when you're reading you'll come across reviews suggesting the quality of the guitar is superior to it's price class etc etc but I always take that with a pinch of salt as whilst these lads are taking about 'price class' their guitar was clearly free.

Anyway it's a pretty cool telecaster shaped thing with contours around the body to make it a little more comfortable. It has locking tuners and staggered pegs - this means it doesn't need a string tree which is very important for the sound of the guitar. There's also a kill switch. I've used the style a lot but not without screwing a few pick up selectors & obviously this is a lot quicker so it should be great for those Tom Morrello moments & general daftness.

I've already got a Zvex Fuzz Factory & an Orange Rocker 30 - both used on Origin of Symmetry so I should be coming out with some pretty solid Muse sounds.

The Original guitar was a Matte Black finish which looked cool but the glitterly red one sold me straight away, it's very unique!

Anyway, delivered tommorow. I cant wait.

cort-mbc-1-matt-bellamy-signature-red-spcort-mbc-1-matt-bellamy-signature-red-spcort-mbc-1-matt-bellamy-signature-red-spcort-mbc-1-matt-bellamy-signature-red-sp

• 1 month later...

Wow, the gold top for £700 sounds pretty decent! 

You'll have to link the pedal show by the way :lol:

It does doesn't it, if Lee Anderton is to be believed in the comments then all models will be available in left handed at the end of the year too (though stops short of saying all finishes) in which case I keep thinking "oo I like that blue standard/the green traditional" or "I could get an Explorer or a firebird! They don't come round that often".

That Pedal Show! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnUXq8mGmoHt0e6ItuTs10w

Video on Distortion pedals featuring one of my favourite current players

I've had a pedal board and a few pedals for ages, never really got to grips properly with them really until watching some of these on setting up amps to go with them and all that jazz.

Jesus I really want a metalzone now, I'm a Zvex Fuzz Factory stalwart but that sounds amazing!

I very much want the amptweaker, given that its a lot more affordable than a brand new Gibson it may well be my next buy

I write and record my own stuff but on a personal basis - a lot of the time I'll give songs to friends but as I have a spare room in the house now I'm going to make a home studio with everything I need in. The aim is to put an album together. 

I've played session stuff before and been in bands but at the moment it's purely recreational. 

I'm not in a band, pretty much as pure a bedroom player as you're going to find to be honest.

I act a bit and stuff for my fix of being on stage, playing is just for me and for playing along with my other half who sings.

I just like gear tbh, I'm a geek in all things I do, this is no exception

Looks pretty good! There's a lot going on mind! 

There is, I like that though, wouldn't bother with its built in effects loop (to start with) but I like the idea of the EQ and the gate, and the mid scoop option for being silly with, and just the pure amount of filth that can put on top of a clean amp, its ridiculous

Well, you guys put my hobbies of gaming and work to shame, anyway. Fair play, was just curious really. Thanks for sharing.

You could always join us on the dark side, we've got no money because we spend it all on gear and stuff but we can make loud noises!

:lol:

I actually do own an electric guitar (no idea which kind, I'm a total guitar philistine) so maybe I'll try giving it a go again soon. Pretty sure I can get the 'making loud noises' bit down. Coherency would be where I fall down.

There is, I like that though, wouldn't bother with its built in effects loop (to start with) but I like the idea of the EQ and the gate, and the mid scoop option for being silly with, and just the pure amount of filth that can put on top of a clean amp, its ridiculous

Yeh it does seem to be a top bit of gear - I'm not big on effects loops either tbh. I'll have to add it to the want list :lol:

Nice. What genre?

You should put up a sample of the stuff when you have the album together ;)

Very difficult to put it into a genre, I'd say 'miserable guitar music' or as the aesthetes would put it 'shite'. I'm hoping to publish anyway so it should be on spotify/itunes.