The Guitar Thread

Tom

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Are you honestly trying to tell me that you haven't been on the edge of your seat for the General Random  Conversation story of me setting up a smart plug in my garage that comes on when the temperature drops below a certain level, and goes off when it rises above it? 

It's the feelgood start to 2022 that everyone's been talking about. 

Oh. No sorry :razz: I've had smart lighting set up in my house for 6 years or so, ashamed it took me so long to think of this tbh 

I'm pretty fucking sure Hendrix and Rory Gallagher got on just fine without smart plugs for their amps.

Ah I jest. Actually not a bad idea, but I'm too fucking lazy to turn off my rig at the main socket so wouldn't make a huge difference. I quite like my smart-home devices but for the most part it's just for childish novelty value ("play my entrance music" etc.). Even the actual really quality of life improvements end up just me being childish ("Alexa, it's like a fucking lizard house in here/it's fucking freezing", "let there be light" "Alexa, get this cunt off my fucking telly" etc.)

9 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I'm pretty fucking sure Hendrix and Rory Gallagher got on just fine without smart plugs for their amps.

Ah I jest. Actually not a bad idea, but I'm too fucking lazy to turn off my rig at the main socket so wouldn't make a huge difference. I quite like my smart-home devices but for the most part it's just for childish novelty value ("play my entrance music" etc.). Even the actual really quality of life improvements end up just me being childish ("Alexa, it's like a fucking lizard house in here/it's fucking freezing", "let there be light" "Alexa, get this cunt off my fucking telly" etc.)

The only reason its any use to me is that the kraken and pedal power supply dont have their own "off" switches, the kraken in particular is just on, with valves, if its plugged in which ive always thought was a design flaw. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

The only reason its any use to me is that the kraken and pedal power supply dont have their own "off" switches, the kraken in particular is just on, with valves, if its plugged in which ive always thought was a design flaw. 

Ah okay I get you. For what it's worth I'd imagine kraken isn't heating those tubes up to anywhere near the same level a tube amp would, they'll likely be cold-plated if just they're running off anything up to 18V DC . But yeah, even with that in mind it's totally fair to want a way to turn it off to save the life span of those valves.

Edit: ignore that cold-plating talk, I was talking shite and based it on misguided assumptions. Probably really wise to cut power to that when it's not in use. Those weird tubes will get fucking hot on even 12V if they've got enough current. 

Edited by Blastronaut

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

Are you in one of the big cities or somewhere off the beaten track?

Christchurch, so technically one of the big cities but its not as hectic as Wellington or Auckland. It's a very chill place really, sort of hipstery, fits me like a glove.

• Like 1

If you can solder you're probably only talking about £2 in parts to add a power switch to your pedal board. Totally unnecessary now since you've got Alexa on the case but might be useful if your WiFi goes down or something. Just two DC jack sockets with a switch between.

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Are you honestly trying to tell me that you haven't been on the edge of your seat for the General Random  Conversation story of me setting up a smart plug in my garage that comes on when the temperature drops below a certain level, and goes off when it rises above it? 

It's the feelgood start to 2022 that everyone's been talking about. 

Thermostats have managed this without the need for an internet connection and smart plug for longer than I've been alive man.

30 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Christchurch, so technically one of the big cities but its not as hectic as Wellington or Auckland. It's a very chill place really, sort of hipstery, fits me like a glove.

Nice! 👌🏼 that sounds perfect

have you been back to England since you moved out or has Covid scuppered that?

2 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Nice! 👌🏼 that sounds perfect

have you been back to England since you moved out or has Covid scuppered that?

Not been back no, we were planning to come back in September 2020 while we waited for some visa stuff to happen but in the end we cancelled the tickets.

Good job really as the visa process slowed right down and we wouldn't have been allowed back yet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Not been back no, we were planning to come back in September 2020 while we waited for some visa stuff to happen but in the end we cancelled the tickets.

Good job really as the visa process slowed right down and we wouldn't have been allowed back yet.

So are you applying for residency or citizenship? and when you say we is there a  Mrs Andrew then? (obvs just ignore or PM if you don’t want to say all that stuff here!)

3 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

So are you applying for residency or citizenship? and when you say we is there a  Mrs Andrew then? (obvs just ignore or PM if you don’t want to say all that stuff here!)

Yeah residency, its a long ol' process, we applied just about 2 years ago now.

And yes, there is indeed a Mrs A, been married for 5 years now, moved out to NZ in mid 2018.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yeah residency, its a long ol' process, we applied just about 2 years ago now.

And yes, there is indeed a Mrs A, been married for 5 years now, moved out to NZ in mid 2018.

Congrats dude! Wow it’s been longer than I thought since I spoke to you :lol: 

good for you man, sounds like a great adventure

• Like 1

I have actually! I'd forgotten about it. 

Here actually, here's a question for you lot. I bought an Epiphone SG on Reverb. Intention was to use it to piss about on - refret etc, basically practising the stuff I was terrible at at Crimson. 

Anyway I can't be fucked, but the guitar has a huge gouge out of one fret towards the top end of the neck - like can't bend a string on any frets around that one, so to my mind it's unplayable and unsellable (even though it was sold to me like that). 

I just want rid. What would you do with it? Feels bad taking it to the tip. 

57 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Have you got those Waza Airs yet? PULL THAT TRIGGER! 

Not yet. Still weighing it up but they’re probably gonna to get got tbh. At the moment I have quite a bit of leeway with the neighbours though so I’m gonna use that as much as I can :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I sell quite a bit on reverb but weirdly have never bought anything there yet. What's up?

Bloke selling a nice Les Paul junior in Watford, not particularly well priced but open to offers.

Its been on the website a year and he has zero feedback. 😐

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Here actually, here's a question for you lot. I bought an Epiphone SG on Reverb. Intention was to use it to piss about on - refret etc, basically practising the stuff I was terrible at at Crimson. 

Anyway I can't be fucked, but the guitar has a huge gouge out of one fret towards the top end of the neck - like can't bend a string on any frets around that one, so to my mind it's unplayable and unsellable (even though it was sold to me like that). 

Send a picture. Sounds repairable! 

If not, set it up for slide! :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If it's just one fret, the cowboy approach would be to spot fill the gouge with silver solder and then level it with the frets on each side. Bit harder than other solder types, might get you a several months playing depending on how much you use it before you wore the solder down. Pretty unnoticeable too if it's done right but will wear down a lot faster than an actual fret.

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Bloke selling a nice Les Paul junior in Watford, not particularly well priced but open to offers.

Its been on the website a year and he has zero feedback. 😐

For what it's worth you've got buyer protection through both reverb and paypal. Even if the seller doesn't accept returns reverb will step in and basically force them to refund you if it arrives damaged or not as described so long as you report it in the first week after its delivered. 

Just give it a good inspection when it arrives and pray the seller hasn't done something like I just suggested to Gemmill.

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Fuck that's what I should have done with this SG when it turned up unplayable. 

Aye, contact the seller. If they tell you to fuck off just go to reverb support and they'll force the seller to refund. At least that's how it should work. Pretty sure reverb policy is it has to be reported to the seller within 7 days. If it doesn't get resolved directly with the seller you should still be able to escalate it to reverb support outwith that 7 day window but there's probably a time limit.