The Guitar Thread

Tom

I think you underestimate these thieves. The brazenness of this screams "phones theft gangs branching out to higher value goods" rather than junkies trying to tide themselves over for a few days. This guitar will be getting prepped for overseas shipping hoping to slip through customs in the Xmas rush. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/kurt-cobain-jag-stang/0141030340.html

New Cobain Jag-Stang. Fucking weird looking guitar. They're not taking the piss on price anywhere near as much as I was expecting when I clicked the link. 

Speaking of having the piss taken out of you I think price, I've got my lass getting me some Boss Waza Air Headphones for Christmas. I'm canny excited. :lol:

• Like 2

The ultimate offset for me is the Squier Ryan Jarman signature. They only made 250 off this and 250 off the bass. (It’s a musuar, so mustang + jag, heavily Cobain inspired)

I use the bass for live stuff when I’m not using the Ibanbacker but I wish to god I’d bought one of the guitars. They weren’t particularly dear either but go silly money now. 

Hoping for a reissue. 

AA6068E7-1E79-42F0-9E38-1939DD8DFA34.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tom said:

The ultimate offset for me is the Squier Ryan Jarman signature.

Plain old Firebird for me. Just like how they look so much I'm prepared to overlook the fact they all just feel like someone took a railway sleeper and put strings on it.

I played a firebird once as I was looking to buy one but Christ I could barely play it. :lol: 

Very reasonably priced as well as it was at a guitar festival. Also could have got a Rickenbacker 330 for £800 & but opted against. 

REGRET :lol: 

Aye Firebirds look and sound great (those mini humbuckers are the bollocks) but feel totally  unwieldy. Sure I read somewhere that what we think of as the Firebird is actually the reverse-Firebird and vice-versa. Someone early on apparently went "fuck playability, it looks much better reversed, let's just pretend that first line didn't happen".

Don't reallly have much experience with Rickenbackers tbh, they look and sound great (especially the bass's) but strike me a tech's worst fucking nightmare. 

Edited by Blastronaut

4 hours ago, Tom said:

The ultimate offset for me is the Squier Ryan Jarman signature. They only made 250 off this and 250 off the bass. (It’s a musuar, so mustang + jag, heavily Cobain inspired)

I use the bass for live stuff when I’m not using the Ibanbacker but I wish to god I’d bought one of the guitars. They weren’t particularly dear either but go silly money now. 

Hoping for a reissue. 

AA6068E7-1E79-42F0-9E38-1939DD8DFA34.jpeg

So it's a Mustang with a Jag/Jazz floating trem and one of Fender's terrible humbuckers?

Belinda Butcher from My Bloody Valentine has been playing one of those, without the hummbucker since the late 80s.

Bilinda+Butcher+Coachella+Valley+Music+A

I just love a Jaguar, 67-69 if I can choose, with a block and binding neck.
Fano make a Firebird shape with a Jag/Jazz tremolo that is special as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Don't reallly have much experience with Rickenbackers tbh, they look and sound great (especially the bass's) but strike me a tech's worst fucking nightmare. 

They are a luthier's dream guitar, necks are always fucked and the slightest hint of humidity and they can't hold tune for more than a moment.

39 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Aye Firebirds look and sound great (those mini humbuckers are the bollocks) but feel totally  unwieldy. Sure I read somewhere that what we think of as the Firebird is actually the reverse-Firebird and vice-versa. Someone early on apparently went "fuck playability, it looks much better reversed, let's just pretend that first line didn't happen".

Aye it was the most uncomfortable guitar I’ve ever picked up , but aye they do sound class tbh. :lol: 

The 330 I tried was a little too small for me I suppose but I feel like a different player these days and would get the best out of it now. 

I play a Ibanez 4003 lawsuit from 1976 and it’s supposed to be better than the Rickenbackers. Certainly for tech issues.

40 minutes ago, sammynb said:

They are a luthier's dream guitar, necks are always fucked and the slightest hint of humidity and they can't hold tune for more than a moment.

Thought most of them had two truss rods? You'd think that would make them more stable but I guess i can see how it would lead to confusion and potential issues if they're not adjusted properly. Maybe I just dreamt that.

Two truss rods, two jack sockets, weird proprietary bridge and some extra knobs for good measure. Easy to understand why they didn't become more mainstream.

15 hours ago, sammynb said:

So it's a Mustang with a Jag/Jazz floating trem and one of Fender's terrible humbuckers?

Belinda Butcher from My Bloody Valentine has been playing one of those, without the hummbucker since the late 80s.

Bilinda+Butcher+Coachella+Valley+Music+A

I just love a Jaguar, 67-69 if I can choose, with a block and binding neck.
Fano make a Firebird shape with a Jag/Jazz tremolo that is special as well.

I liked that Johnny Marr Jag I had but it was so temperamental. Shit just buzzing for no reason one day. It looked absolutely mint though - I love anything in Olympic White. 

I've found my level with a tele I think. A plank of flat wood with 6 strings, two pickups and 2 controls. I've stuck locking tuners and a Mastery bridge on it and it's perfection.

I’ve been playing my Epi 61 Les Paul Custom (basically an SG) a lot recently. Had the guitar since I was 14 and only just figured out that the bridge and middle pickup are out of phase. :lol: 

Lovely guitar when you play it properly. 

Ah cool. I never really digged into the whole 3 humbucker wiring. Mind my local shop when I was a kid had a beautiful black LP with three humbuckers that Iusted after, always wondered what fucking use it was if the pickup switch was still three way.

Guess that's my bedtime reading tonight sorted. Bit unconventional for a Tuesday night wank but I'm not complaining.

Anyone familiar with the 70's Jen Jumbo Fuzz? Hadn't heard of it until a few months back, totally oddity of a pedal. Basically a V1 Triangle Big Muff but gated, except a lot of them were sold with the parts from the circuit missing making it essentially just another Big Muff. 

Really interesting take on a fairly common pedal circuit. Apparently the gated version is all over the Misfits album Static Age. 

Some totally fucking useless trivia for you all there.

On 09/12/2021 at 19:04, Blastronaut said:

Anyone familiar with the 70's Jen Jumbo Fuzz? Hadn't heard of it until a few months back, totally oddity of a pedal. Basically a V1 Triangle Big Muff but gated, except a lot of them were sold with the parts from the circuit missing making it essentially just another Big Muff. 

Really interesting take on a fairly common pedal circuit. Apparently the gated version is all over the Misfits album Static Age. 

Some totally fucking useless trivia for you all there.

Im not but if it costs hundreds of pounds and features an 80p germanium transistor Im in! 

Also this Paul Gilbert Christmas album :lol: 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Im not but if it costs hundreds of pounds and features an 80p germanium transistor Im in! 

Also this Paul Gilbert Christmas album :lol: 

Originals seem to go for fucking silly money but it's essentially a Big Muff with an additional germanium tranny that makes it gated.  Had a custom order for one and found its really easy to mod to control the gating so it goes from stock V1 Big Muff to stupid amounts of unusable gating. Not my cup of tea tbh but there's admittedly some usable sounds in between.

As for the Paul Gilbert Xmas stuff....I'm not listening to any of it again by choice but he gets a free pass for being Paul Gilbert.

> 80p Germanium transistor.

If I mind right this was the military spec 308v (or 308B?) from your Fuzz Factory? I've just got a few hundred of these for about 13p each. Dunno what I'm doing with them yet but they're really low leakage and great for Rangemasters, so worst case scenario I'll retire to a house in the woods built from Rangemaster pedals.

Edited by Blastronaut
  • Like 1

I think it was “Russian military” aye :lol: 

https://www.zvex.com/guitar-pedals/fuzz-factory-7-guitar-effects-pedal-rus

This lad, absolutely love it tbh. Although currently my favourite pedal is the NUX “Steel Singer”. 

Once you hit the right settings on that it sounds absolutely unbelievable. Instant Hendrix or SRV, whatever just a awesome driven strat.

Honestly if you haven’t bought one of those NUX Steel Singers you need to. This thing is the fucking tits :lol: 

Cheapest pedal on the board, but offers by FAR the best tones.

(apart from maybe the Keeley Caverns but that was dear)