The Guitar Thread

Tom

On 05/01/2022 at 10:49, Gemmill said:

The Music Man would be my pick. 

And yeah I did go to Crimson on a 2 day maintenance course. I've since moderated my thoughts on it slightly - I came away feeling I'd learned loads but then had quite a bit of bother with my tele. 

I turned up and they recommended a full refret on a guitar that was maybe 6 months old (Fender American Original tele). I was there for the final two days of one of their 3 month guitar building courses, so there were about 6-8 lads finishing up guitars who had established relationships with the 2 instructors on hand. 

This meant that me getting the help I needed was not great. And a refret isn't a straightforward job, especially when you'd turned up expecting to learn how to do a really good setup. 

Things seemed fine for a bit with the guitar but gradually frets became a bit unseated and it became unplayable - buzzing all over the shop. I took it to my main man Dave in North Shields who sorted it and was disgusted that they had told me to refret a basically brand new £1400 guitar, and then not provided minute by minute direction to make sure it got done correctly. 

I'm absolutely certain I just had a bad experience cos of the clash with the end of that 3 month course, but it was still bullshit. I remember they were closing up on the Friday and everyone was trying to leave and one of the lads came over to me with his backpack on his back, garbled some instructions at me, and then fucked off. :lol:

Wait.

you play guitar!? 😳😁👍🏼

On 05/01/2022 at 20:04, Andrew said:

The Music Man was tempting until I found out how much the guy wanted for it :lol:

If you take the buy now of the Tele which I've set at a (admittedly fairly high) $6500 he wants to give me $500 plus the music man.

So hes valuing that at about £3000, reverbs price history on right handers of these hasn't got one selling for over $2750nz in over two years.

The white one is a Schecter Keith Merrow signature, which I am also pretty tempted by, of course that and the ibanez were the ones that particular person was least wanting to lose so hes having a think.

Are you the same Andrew that used to be on OJ? Did you move to NZ then? Are you in the games industry or was that a closed shop?

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah, I feel like you knew this in the past. Very much on an amateur basis, but since my teens. 

I don’t think I do remember but it was a while ago since I was on here much…

Are you still in the North East then? Is Brian’s guitar shop still there?

Newcastle was excellent for music shops, Guitar Guitar and a couple I can’t remember the names of

2 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

I don’t think I do remember but it was a while ago since I was on here much…

Are you still in the North East then? Is Brian’s guitar shop still there?

Newcastle was excellent for music shops, Guitar Guitar and a couple I can’t remember the names of

It is, aye. The one off High Bridge?

I had a shocking experience with that bloke though. :lol:

And yep, I'm still in the North East. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

It is, aye. The one off High Bridge?

I had a shocking experience with that bloke though. :lol:

And yep, I'm still in the North East. 

I don’t know… it was in a little courtyard place really central

did you! What happened?

He was pretty cool although I did buy about three or four expensive guitars off him so I guess he was just being clever 😌

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

I don’t know… it was in a little courtyard place really central

did you! What happened?

He was pretty cool although I did buy about three or four expensive guitars off him so I guess he was just being clever 😌

Aye that's the one. 

I took a newish guitar to him to get a setup. When I picked it up, he'd filed the nutslots so low that the open strings were buzzing off the first fret. Like unplayably bad. I honestly think that all he'd done to lower the action was file the nutslots down.

It's a vintage style fender where you have to keep taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod, putting it back on, checking, etc. And I think he just couldn't be fucked. 

He told me we needed to "sit down and have a talk" and then proceeded to patronise me about how I was wrong and he was right and I just needed to understand that that was what an electric guitar was like. And did I really think after all these years of working on guitars that he could be wrong about this. Like it was the first one I'd ever owned. 

I ended up just leaving and having to pay elsewhere - new nut required. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

That little courtyard place down from Jimi Savage’s studio!?

I used to get lessons off Jimi too. :lol:

He was going through a bad relationship at the time, and I shit you not, 45 minutes of every lesson for about 6 months was him telling me what was going on and asking my advice. "I hope you don't mind, I just don't have a lot of people to talk to about this."

It went on for ages and I just kept sucking it up and paying for the lessons, thinking he's going through a rough time, this will stop eventually.

Anyway, he used to give you a £5 a lesson discount if you paid for 4 in advance, which I always did. Then one week I couldn't go and postponed to the next week (gave days of notice etc). Anyway I turned up and he told me I owed him £20 for the lessons I'd paid in advance cos I didn't take the 4 prepaid lessons on consecutive weeks. :lol:

After I'd genuinely been getting 15 minutes of tuition a week while he used me as his personal agony aunt. 

So aye, that was the end of that. I gave him his 20 quid and never went back. 

• Haha 1

Aye, I had one lesson off him. The only lesson I ever had from anyone and never went back. I’d been playing for about 8 years as the time. :lol: 

He taught me alternative picking which helped after a long translational period. So it wasn’t a bad hour. 

• Haha 1

Levi Clay off YouTube is the best teacher I've ever had.

Big fan of himself, but a very good guitar teacher. And he's a professional music transcriber so the lesson materials you get off him are perfect. 

6 hours ago, Asprilla said:

Are you the same Andrew that used to be on OJ? Did you move to NZ then? Are you in the games industry or was that a closed shop?

I am! Aye moved out here three and a half years ago.

Havent been in games professionally for a while now, moved into software dev and into the financial industry with that which is what got me out to nz. 

25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I am! Aye moved out here three and a half years ago.

Havent been in games professionally for a while now, moved into software dev and into the financial industry with that which is what got me out to nz. 

Good for you man… how is life out there?

my brother went there about 30 years ago and said it was amazing. Just such a diverse country

6 hours ago, Tom said:

That little courtyard place down from Jimi Savage’s studio!?

I don’t know the name… I always had my own set up at home so didn’t use any of the local studios

but it could well be… it seems to be still open but I don’t know if it’s the same guy running it… their Facebook page hasn’t updated for a few years

6 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Aye that's the one. 

I took a newish guitar to him to get a setup. When I picked it up, he'd filed the nutslots so low that the open strings were buzzing off the first fret. Like unplayably bad. I honestly think that all he'd done to lower the action was file the nutslots down.

It's a vintage style fender where you have to keep taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod, putting it back on, checking, etc. And I think he just couldn't be fucked. 

He told me we needed to "sit down and have a talk" and then proceeded to patronise me about how I was wrong and he was right and I just needed to understand that that was what an electric guitar was like. And did I really think after all these years of working on guitars that he could be wrong about this. Like it was the first one I'd ever owned. 

I ended up just leaving and having to pay elsewhere - new nut required. :lol:

Fucking hell what a nightmare!! 😂😢

he could be a funny one for sure but I don’t have any bad stories from him luckily

6 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I used to get lessons off Jimi too. :lol:

He was going through a bad relationship at the time, and I shit you not, 45 minutes of every lesson for about 6 months was him telling me what was going on and asking my advice. "I hope you don't mind, I just don't have a lot of people to talk to about this."

It went on for ages and I just kept sucking it up and paying for the lessons, thinking he's going through a rough time, this will stop eventually.

Anyway, he used to give you a £5 a lesson discount if you paid for 4 in advance, which I always did. Then one week I couldn't go and postponed to the next week (gave days of notice etc). Anyway I turned up and he told me I owed him £20 for the lessons I'd paid in advance cos I didn't take the 4 prepaid lessons on consecutive weeks. :lol:

After I'd genuinely been getting 15 minutes of tuition a week while he used me as his personal agony aunt. 

So aye, that was the end of that. I gave him his 20 quid and never went back. 

Wtf!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Good for you man… how is life out there?

my brother went there about 30 years ago and said it was amazing. Just such a diverse country

Ah its beautiful, we're neck deep in summer at the moment which is looovely.

• Like 1

So I've done something completely unnecessary and stuck my entire rig (amp. kraken, pedal board) onto a wifi plug.

No more awkward reaching for the socket behind my drums :razz: just got to ask alexa to turn on my amp.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that you haven't been on the edge of your seat for the General Random  Conversation story of me setting up a smart plug in my garage that comes on when the temperature drops below a certain level, and goes off when it rises above it? 

It's the feelgood start to 2022 that everyone's been talking about. 

• Haha 1