Should the FA CUP be embraced, and a run in it......

accadacca

to be looked forward to, or would an early exit at Plymouth be preferred ?

My view would be to go for it and not start resting players as it would take a catastrophic injury list to derail the title bid.

Having had more than a fair share of injury list pile ups over the last couple of seasons, better luck on that front is well overdue.

This season has been ok regarding that so perhaps Lady Luck will continue to smile.

There is one plus point to going for it, somewhere down the line, be it next round or the Final. We'll meet up with proper opposition and be given a lesson in football. Maybe, just maybe that will bring some people down to earth.

There is one plus point to going for it, somewhere down the line, be it next round or the Final. We'll meet up with proper opposition and be given a lesson in football. Maybe, just maybe that will bring some people down to earth.

If our first team got a complete spanking by a 'middle-to-top' Prem team, it could have a detrimental effect on them. Then again, if our first team got a spanking, putting out our 'second team' would result in a truly historical defeat in the history of football :( Better go with the first team!

We should absolutely try our hardest to win the FA cup (no matter how unlikely it may be) in this and any other season.

To be blunt we probably have f... all chance of winning the premiership in a Turtle's liftetime. So what is the height of our ambition - to clamber into the premiership and merely survive? Cups can be and are just occasionally won by unfancied sides. Failure to even try for a club our size is not pragmatism, its cowardice. And we've virtually been given a free path to the fourth round given the chasm between us and Plymouth this season. Assuming a third round win that would leave us with five games to win to get the hated trophy monkey off our back and who is to say we may not be helped on more than one of them by another kind draw (Home Park is an awful draw for travelling fans but not the team).

I adore the FA Cup and I would be seriously naffed off if we didn't give it a go. Cardiff and Milwall in recent times have shown that Championship teams can make it to the final and I'd like to think that we could do the same.

I'd be extra naffed off if we lost to a Championship side who will be at the foot of the table come Feb... They've got just got other concerns as well as us (ie staying up) so who's to say they won't put a weak side out.

Neither are hundreds of other teams, but they don't insult it by putting out a weakened team and neither should we.

I carefully neglected to say we should field a weakened team. But I think we should use it as an opportunity to use so of the other 1st team players who aren't necessarily first choice (i.e. Krul, Kadar, Geremi, etc.)

We should wholeheartedly give every competition we enter our best shot and enjoy the ride be it good or bad.

There will always be an excuse from some as to why "now", is not the time.

Trying to get promoted

Trying to stay up

Pushing for Europe

Bla Bla Bla

Bollox, all of it.

Football is not just about playing the games you can win.

Neither are hundreds of other teams, but they don't insult it by putting out a weakened team and neither should we.

I carefully neglected to say we should field a weakened team. But I think we should use it as an opportunity to use so of the other 1st team players who aren't necessarily first choice (i.e. Krul, Kadar, Geremi, etc.)

i.e. a weakened team.

We should absolutely try our hardest to win the FA cup (no matter how unlikely it may be) in this and any other season.

To be blunt we probably have f... all chance of winning the premiership in a Turtle's liftetime. So what is the height of our ambition - to clamber into the premiership and merely survive? Cups can be and are just occasionally won by unfancied sides. Failure to even try for a club our size is not pragmatism, its cowardice. And we've virtually been given a free path to the fourth round given the chasm between us and Plymouth this season. Assuming a third round win that would leave us with five games to win to get the hated trophy monkey off our back and who is to say we may not be helped on more than one of them by another kind draw (Home Park is an awful draw for travelling fans but not the team).

Agree 100%.

A lifetime scratching out a grim survival in the premier league, doing a Bolton, doesnt exactly inspire me. Lets get back into the top division and stay there, but not at the expense of the cup competitions.

Strongest team in all cup competitions every time for me. I'm going to Plymouth (its only half the distance for me but still £60 on the train) and I will be well pissed off if its not a full strength team.

i.e. a weakened team.

Subjective view point really. Weakened as it isn't ALL of our first choice XI - yes. Weakened as we're just sending the kids out and 'insulting' the tournament - no.

Some people have short memories. Already been down that route Craig.

1st time scraped through - (h) Huddersfield - Carling Cup Round 2

2nd time went tits up - (a) Peterboro - Carling Cup Round 3

Oh thats ok then we've got lady luck on our side.

Drop out now and concentrate on this pissing of the league, something which now looks increasingly likely, I cant quite get over just how shit this league is.

Totally agree.

Namely our wonderfully inept heirarchy. Good point. We need to see where our 'benchmark' is, but in saying that, it's not exactly rocket science! <_<

Anyway, back to the FA Cup. Longest running footy comp in the world, tradition all that etc. Putting out a weakened team isn't an option. Some priemership teams have that luxury (bigger fish to fry, CL etc)......we don't!. The Championship standard is :( . We need to send out a message that, barring a catastophic injury ravaged squad, we take ALL competitions seriously! Players get paid far too much as it is, for them to sit on their collective cotton-woolly pampered arses!

For the several thousand that will travel, it would be an absolute fucking disgrace if Hughton sent out the fringe players/reservists.

I believe he WILL do the right thing.

We should wholeheartedly give every competition we enter our best shot and enjoy the ride be it good or bad.

There will always be an excuse from some as to why "now", is not the time.

Trying to get promoted

Trying to stay up

Pushing for Europe

Bla Bla Bla

Bollox, all of it.

Football is not just about playing the games you can win.

:(

Also we really need a match against Premiership opposition (someone midtablish would be good) to remind us how poor our side actually is.

Guest Insider
this is the last season for diversions...... we still need another 43 point remember?

lets play a reasonable side but hope we go out early.............

Or let's not hope that we go out early, what about that?

Guest Insider

I'd love to see us put a decent cup run together. I would hate to see us get put out by a shit lower premiership club, it'd just strengthen the "you'll just go straight back down next season' brigade's argument.

The Cocaola should have taught us a valuable lesson in why we need to concentrating solely on getting promoted. I never did think I'd see a day when we missed Shola but his injury likely cost us a point or three. Fuck the Cup.

The team, Hughton put out at Peterborough made a mockery of the team he picked v Huiddersfield where daft long term injuries where picked up.

I'd love to see us put a decent cup run together. I would hate to see us get put out by a shit lower premiership club, it'd just strengthen the "you'll just go straight back down next season' brigade's argument.

The realists you mean? :icon_lol: