FA Cup 4th Round / West Brom vs Newcastle

brummiemag1

Bitterly disappointed we lost today, I don't normally moan about the ref but today was one of the worst refs Ive seen for years.

There must have been 4,000 toon fans today most who care passionately about the FA Cup (unlike the majority of people on here and Newcastle online).

At least we played a strong team and went out with our pride intact rather than playing a reserve team and going out with a whimper.

I only speak for myself here..

I love the FA Cup and any other season id be rooting for us to have a good cup run but not this year, i just think with the squad we have if we were to have a prolonged run in either cup it would only see us tiring and possibly seeing a negative effect on our league form.

In theory a good cup run would breath confidence intp league form but only when you have a big enough squad to cope with an additional 15 games a season and sadly we dont.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets hope WBA progress and lose sight of the main goal of this season which is promotion. i'd take that (promotion) anyday over getting to the later stages of the FAC and being raped by a mid table prem table team.

sometimes realism is a bitch!

There must have been 4,000 toon fans today most who care passionately about the FA Cup (unlike the majority of people on here and Newcastle online).

The FA Cup has all the glamour, ending in a gala-like spectacle at Wembley, totally unlike the trench-like warfare of league-play where the winner can be established before the league season is even finished, and there is no gala-like ending at Wembley.

I know well of Cup glory 1950-55, I was 18 when we won the Cup in 1950, and I know of the Cup humiliations like Hereford United, but I think what you are reading in this topic are comments from folk who are desparate to regain a position in the Premier League and would sacrifice Cup glamour & glory, and prefer that to be the only target to aim for .....and I am one of them. I was disappointed we lost but at the same time glad, for now promotion is the only thing in the sights and there will be no distractions other than injuries......fewer games-fewer injuries.

The ITV highlights were near enough pointless. Fair enough they have a lot to get through, but with so many (or so I hear) controversial decisions then it is stupid to just ignore them.

I personally don't mind an FA Cup run, but at the same time I won't mourn being knocked out. Was sort of hoping that I would come back to find out it had finished 4-4 but oh well :)

Bitterly disappointed we lost today, I don't normally moan about the ref but today was one of the worst refs Ive seen for years.

At least we played a strong team and went out with our pride intact rather than playing a reserve team and going out with a whimper.

on like the majority of fans who would rather see us in the top flight than risk a small squad in a long cup run

do one with your assumptions would ya...

"oh you don't care about cups because your thinking about the long term/rest of the season"

Oh dear, please do shut the fuck up.

It surprises me that some still seem to think that there is much joy to be had in promotion. I can not see anything but regular hammerings and a swift exit.

Promotion and hope that someone will come and buy the fat fucker out. :)

Fair comments, but I suspect a lot of the people who say promotion is the priority this year, we have bigger fish to fry etc will be the same ones saying survival is the priorirty next year (if we get promoted) and so it goes on and on and the cup competitions will never be a priority which means at best all we're left with is year after year of trying to grind out results to stay in the premier league.

To me the cups are special and should always be given equal priority with the league. If they continue to be devalued year on year then their won't be a great deal left to look forward to

Edited by brummiemag1

Fair comments, but I suspect a lot of the people who say promotion is the priority this year, we have bigger fish to fry etc will be the same ones saying survival is the priorirty next year (if we get promoted) and so it goes on and on and the cup competitions will never be a priority which means at best all we're left with is year after year of trying to grind out results to stay in the premier league.

To me the cups are special and should always be given equal priority with the league. If they continue to be devalued year on year then their won't be a great deal left to look forward to

Agreed.

As for the highlights I didn't bother watching them, they were never going to focus on controversial decisions given yesterday in our game seeming it wasn't a big tie, or a tie in the latter stages of the cup. I suspect this ref will get away with his abysmal performance and nothing more will be said about it.

Its not about devaluing the competition, personally I would love to goto Wembley and see us lift the cup, everytime Ive been there its been heartbreak so the day it happens will be fantastic. I am however realistic and all I see from yesterday is us being battered by one of the only two teams to rival us for the league, they are buoyed by it and we are down. We now have a suspended player in a key position and 4 others who are another step closer to suspension. All our players are that little bit more tired and closer to injury than if they hadnt played.

Nothing good has come out of being in the 4th round.

Soopafan alert. I care more about the FA Cup than the people on here. Fuck off man. :) I bet you only went to the game because there was a public sale and you live down the road. There isn't a Newcastle fan alive who wouldn't love to see us win the cup either. Some of us are realists however.

Soopafan alert. I care more about the FA Cup than the people on here. Fuck off man. :) I bet you only went to the game because there was a public sale and you live down the road. There isn't a Newcastle fan alive who wouldn't love to see us win the cup either. Some of us are realists however.

The argument has got nothing to do with being a 'soopafan' as you call it so fuck knows why you mentioned that. FYI I go to plenty of Newcastle games (including Plymouth away in the 3rd round) not that I have to justify myself to soopa fan like your self

Its about priorities and yours are different to mine thats all. I'm a realist as well but I want to see us compete in the Cups no matter what our position is and if that means on occasion we pick up injuries etc then so be it, thats football, thats life.

Are you such a soopa fan that you think that no one who lives outside the area can comment?

The argument has got nothing to do with being a 'soopafan' as you call it so fuck knows why you mentioned that. FYI I go to plenty of Newcastle games (including Plymouth away in the 3rd round) not that I have to justify myself to soopa fan like your self

Its about priorities and yours are different to mine thats all. I'm a realist as well but I want to see us compete in the Cups no matter what our position is and if that means on occasion we pick up injuries etc then so be it, thats football, thats life.

Are you such a soopa fan that you think that no one who lives outside the area can comment?

Bollocks.

Your not realistic at all...idiolistic maybe.

Simple fact is, it isnt just injuries that are to be feared, its the fatigue and the expectancy that goes with a good cup run.

It's all fine and well having something to cheer about but if that costs us promotion would it be worth it?

I think not.

Edited by @sportsdirect.COCK

No. I'd say my point was pretty obvious tbh. I called you a soopafan because you were making out you were more passionate than most people on here when it came to the FA Cup. Giving the FA Cup equal priority this season would've been stupid though and that has nothing to do with me not caring about winning the thing.

Edited by alex

Soopafan alert. I care more about the FA Cup than the people on here. Fuck off man. ;) I bet you only went to the game because there was a public sale and you live down the road. There isn't a Newcastle fan alive who wouldn't love to see us win the cup either. Some of us are realists however.

No. I'd say my point was pretty obvious tbh. I called you a soopafan because you were making out you were more passionate than most people on here when it came to the FA Cup. Giving the FA Cup equal priority this season would've been stupid though and that has nothing to do with me not caring about winning the thing.

We disagree about priorities, thats all, whether I'm a soopafan or a shit fan has got fuck all to do with it, so there was no need to mention it.

The point I was trying to make was that for me, the FA Cup should be given equal priority with the league, this year and every year no matter what our position, whereas for you and many others promotion should be the priority and no doubt for many next year survival will the priority and for some there will sadly always be a better reason to concentrate on the league than the FA Cup and if that becomes the norm, which it is rapidly becoming with most clubs, then there really won't be that much to look forward to apart from, at best, year on year survival in the Premier League.

If thats what people want then fine, but not for me thanks

Before Ashley came along we always fielded full strength sides and went all out to win the cup so I'm not sure how you say 'there'll always be a better reason to concentrate on the league'. Also, no one is saying they don't want to compete for cups or anything like that or only want PL survival next year. You're either being deliberately obtuse or are too stupid to distuinguish between what people regard as realistic aims and what people would actually like to see happen.

Edited by alex

I will avoid resorting to personal insults, which you seem to use every time you respond to one of my posts.

I've made my point and I have to say that many of the Newcastle fans I speak to at away games agree with me. It will be interesting to see next season and in future seasons how many people on here want us to compete at full strength in the cup competitions or whether the usual arguments about other priorities, (promotion, survival, consolidation) will continue.

It may be many years before we are deemed by a lot of people on here to be in a suitable position to take the FA Cup seriously, and by that stage the FA Cup may be so devalued thats not worth winning in any case.

I will avoid resorting to personal insults, which you seem to use every time you respond to one of my posts.

I've made my point and I have to say that many of the Newcastle fans I speak to at away games agree with me. It will be interesting to see next season and in future seasons how many people on here want us to compete at full strength in the cup competitions or whether the usual arguments about other priorities, (promotion, survival, consolidation) will continue.

It may be many years before we are deemed by a lot of people on here to be in a suitable position to take the FA Cup seriously, and by that stage the FA Cup may be so devalued thats not worth winning in any case.

You should support Villa anyway as far as I'm concerned.

Get over yourself man ;) Personal insults. Obvious what I was saying tbh. Straw man stuff anyway on your part.

Edited by alex

There are four groups of teams in the FA cup as far as I see it

The Premier League top half - those teams who realistically have a chance of winning the thing, yes as we've seen this year sometimes the big boys get knocked out because they dont take it seriously enough at the early stages but get to the later ones and they'll always walk it.

The lower league teams - Those who getting to the 4th and 5th rounds to draw a Liverpool or Man U would be better for them than promotion or would even counter a relegation in terms of finance. For definite these are the 2nd division and non-league teams with some 1st division ones thrown in.

Most of the remaining teams who will be happy to go for it because its all thats going to happen to them this year. No chance of the league no real worries of relegation so what the hell lets have a cup run. The importance of that increases as the size of the club decreases getting you towards the 2nd group detailed above.

Bottom six of Premiership, top six of Championship. - These 12 clubs are the ones who can least afford the distraction, winning the cup is a slim possibility as long as luck is with you and Chelsea/Man U/ Liverpool/ Arsenal/ Spurs/ Man City have a real off day when you finally meet them (because you will somewhere down the line). Having it affect your chances of being in the Premiership next season and the absolute windfall that comes with it is just too great a problem.

There are four groups of teams in the FA cup as far as I see it

The Premier League top half - those teams who realistically have a chance of winning the thing, yes as we've seen this year sometimes the big boys get knocked out because they dont take it seriously enough at the early stages but get to the later ones and they'll always walk it.

The lower league teams - Those who getting to the 4th and 5th rounds to draw a Liverpool or Man U would be better for them than promotion or would even counter a relegation in terms of finance. For definite these are the 2nd division and non-league teams with some 1st division ones thrown in.

Most of the remaining teams who will be happy to go for it because its all thats going to happen to them this year. No chance of the league no real worries of relegation so what the hell lets have a cup run. The importance of that increases as the size of the club decreases getting you towards the 2nd group detailed above.

Bottom six of Premiership, top six of Championship. - These 12 clubs are the ones who can least afford the distraction, winning the cup is a slim possibility as long as luck is with you and Chelsea/Man U/ Liverpool/ Arsenal/ Spurs/ Man City have a real off day when you finally meet them (because you will somewhere down the line). Having it affect your chances of being in the Premiership next season and the absolute windfall that comes with it is just too great a problem.

Bob on if you ask me.