Severe threat to the UK

AgentAxeman

"UK terror threat level rated severe

Alan Johnson said the threat to the UK from international terrorism has been raised from substantial to severe

The threat to the UK from international terrorism has been raised from substantial to severe - meaning an attack is "highly likely".

Announcing the move, Home Secretary Alan Johnson said although the threat had increased there was no intelligence to suggest an attack was imminent. But he urged people to be vigilant.

He added that it was not specifically linked to the Christmas Day plane bomb plot or any other incident, although it comes ahead of a major counter-terrorism conference in London next week.

Mr Johnson said: "The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre (JTAC) has... raised the threat to the UK from international terrorism from substantial to severe. This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely, but I should stress that there is no intelligence to suggest that an attack is imminent.

"JTAC keeps the threat level under constant review and makes its judgments based on a broad range of factors, including the intent and capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas."

He added: "The highest security alert is critical and that means an attack is imminent, and we are not at that level."

The minister said more measures had been taken to protect aviation since the alleged failed bomb attack on a plane at Detroit at Christmas. "We have a very adept and very focused counter-terrorism facility in this country and people should be reassured by that."

The Christmas Day bomb plot has moved the focus of the fight against terror onto the Yemen, where suspect Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab has reportedly claimed he was supplied with explosives.

The Home Office said that the change in threat level would not cause "any discernable difference" for members of the public taking flights or going about their normal business.

Rather than triggering additional security checks at airports or putting more police onto the streets, the new assessment will send a signal to police and security officials to step up their activities behind the scenes."

thoughts people?

(source MSN website)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Announcing the move, Home Secretary Alan Johnson said although the threat had increased there was no intelligence to suggest an attack was imminent. But he urged people to be vigilant.

If there is no intelligence, why raise the threat level? Genius! :)

No response from anyone, really. It's a non-story.

Apart from the expected absurd comments from the expected absurd idiots who have zero idea of security and will be the first to moan about the security services the next time a bomb goes off.

:)

What about:

Severe TREAT to the UK ????

Perhaps the government will send everyone a peach melba through the post.

That doesn't seem particularly severe though. Maybe it could be a peach melba scattered with glass shards.

What about:

That doesn't seem particularly severe though. Maybe it could be a peach melba scattered with glass shards.

That's just preposterous, M. :)

I do like the idea of not only applying boundries to some abstract notion but publicising it too. It's completely bizarre.

If we can do that with top-down threats like Global Terrorism, I think we should introduce some kind of meter or gauge for the real problem facing Britain and its society, namely specific and everyday threats like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_y...ire/8472265.stm

It'd probably be off the scale by now though.

What about:

Hm, true, the glass shards would negate the "treat" aspect. Maybe each household gets several hundred peach melbas then they send round the heavies to make you eat them all in one night.

In all seriousness, I was discussing airport security with colleagues recently.

I fly quite a lot. Alex flies at least twice a week. Rob W has his own private jet. And most everyone else flies to/from holiday now and again.

But has ANYONE been in an airport and heard an announcement over the pa for 'Will so-and-so please go to check-in/security/information/whatever' because their bag has been suspect once it's been checked in??? I don't know of a single person EVER having to go and show his bag to security due to it being suspicious, once it's been checked-in. Sniffer dogs are used, yes, but SURELY they must get one in a thousand, or so, wrong ???? Or are we to assume all is not really as it should be???

What about:

Hm, true, the glass shards would negate the "treat" aspect. Maybe each household gets several hundred peach melbas then they send round the heavies to make you eat them all in one night.

But then you and your ilk would be demonstrating in Trafalgar Sq due to the govt. wasting countless billions of pounds on millions of peach melbas! I think we should re-think the whole peach melba idea, 'fore the govt get wind of it and bring out a white paper.

I fly quite a lot. Alex flies at least twice a week. Rob W has his own private jet. And most everyone else flies to/from holiday now and again.

But has ANYONE been in an airport and heard an announcement over the pa for 'Will so-and-so please go to check-in/security/information/whatever' because their bag has been suspect once it's been checked in??? I don't know of a single person EVER having to go and show his bag to security due to it being suspicious, once it's been checked-in. Sniffer dogs are used, yes, but SURELY they must get one in a thousand, or so, wrong ???? Or are we to assume all is not really as it should be???

Better than the system in some foreign airports where you have to have your bag scanned before checkin, that's a fucking hassle.

I got a massive tube of toothpast through last flight back from Deutschland. Didn't even know it was in there....They kept the Zippo cunts. :)

keep in mind these stats are for flights for the states

any given day there are 87,000 flights in the air over the US, so thats 31755000 per year (source http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/bythenumbers.msp )

how many planes are blown up every year, I have no idea and could find no info but for the sake of argument lets say 100 which seems high I think we'd all remember if there were 100 planes blown out of the sky every year.

that gives a .000003 percent chance of being blown up by a terrorist every time you step on a plane.

i have to say i like those odds, and i like them enough to say that i don't want any of the freedom that i enjoy taken away because the terrorist color of the day has changed from yellow to orange.

but then what do i know....... :)

Edited by tooner

any given day there are 87,000 flights in the air over the US, so thats 31755000 per year (source http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/bythenumbers.msp )

how many planes are blown up every year, I have no idea and could find no info but for the sake of argument lets say 100 which seems high I think we'd all remember if there were 100 planes blown out of the sky every year.

that gives a .000003 percent chance of being blown up by a terrorist every time you step on a plane.

i have to say i like those odds, and i like them enough to say that i don't want any of the freedom that i enjoy taken away because the terrorist color of the day has changed from yellow to orange.

what the fuck are you babbling on about :razz: Do u want airport and terrorist security or not :D

what the fuck are you babbling on about :D Do u want airport and terrorist security or not :nufc:

pretty clear from my post... :razz: