Wayne Routledge signs

Ketsbaia

Interesting signing but I'd rather we'd signed Jerome Thomas, although I doubt we would have got him.

See Sammy you're one of the few guys who knows what the fuck they are talking about on here. :)

Bearing that in mind this lad is a step in the right direction imo.

Only some days Parky, only some days.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

68816592.jpg

That's possibly the most punchable face I've ever seen

phil-lynott.jpg

Same guy

Tom thats the same person! good spot

Seeing one is Irish and deed and the other plays bass, yeah twins no doubt :)

Good to see the boys are ....

WAYNE Routledge believes a move to Newcastle United will signal the end of his days as a footballing nomad – and give him the perfect platform to fulfil the potential that once saw him tipped for an England call-up.

The 25-year-old, capped at England under-16, under-19 and under-21 levels during the early parts of his burgeoning career, has eight different clubs on his CV including spells at Tottenham, Aston Villa and Fulham.

It has been a frustrating career path for Routledge, who freely admits the constant changes have dented his reputation as one of the Football League’s most promising talents.

He believed that moving to cash-rich QPR in 2008 would be the move that would give him stability, but the incredible circumstances at Loftus Road – which Routledge diplomatically opted not to talk about – meant he was always likely to be on the move in January.

“I know I have had a lot of clubs but it’s not like I have not been trying to settle over the last few years,” he said.

“I thought QPR was going to be the answer and I would be staying there for a while. I signed for them and thought that would be it but things happened that were out of my control. I wanted stability but there is only so much you can do about it.

“I don’t really want to talk about the politics there because this is a fresh start for me and a huge opportunity at a massive club. I’m excited and this is the perfect place to put down roots – I’d have been mad to turn it down.

“I’ve signed for three-and-a-half years and I intend to see that out and be a Premier League player with Newcastle by the start of next season.

“Everyone wants to play at the top level and this is a huge chance for me to do that at one of the biggest clubs in the country.”

It could have been different for Routledge, who consulted former team-mate Jermaine Jenas before making the switch to Tyneside.

Newcastle made their move on Monday – beating Middlesbrough and another Championship club to the punch. Once he talked to Chris Hughton, there was only one option.

“Newcastle came in really, really late and I had spoken to other clubs and thought I was going there,” he said. “No offence to them but as soon as I knew Newcastle were coming in for me, my mind was made up. I was excited the minute I heard their name mentioned – and that sort of reaction convinces you that the move is right.

“I also know Chris from his time at Tottenham and have a lot of respect for him. He’s a great guy to work with and you can tell from talking to the other players that he’s a good manager.”

If Newcastle supporters were surprised about the Routledge signing, they will be even more shocked about the man who recommended the club to him.

Jenas famously regarded the club as a ‘goldfish bowl’ and left after struggling to cope with the attention placed on him – but it turns out he has delivered glowing references about the club.

“One of the big people that I know who has a Newcastle link is Jermaine Jenas and he couldn’t speak highly enough of the place,” Routledge said.

“He talked about it with the highest respect and said it was a great club and a brilliant place to play your football.

“Of course I know a bit about Newcastle United anyway, everyone who knows football knows about this club. I’m delighted to be getting the chance.”

Routledge’s signing is an important sign of intent from owners who have been reticent to back their managers during January transfer windows.

Whatever your opinion of Ashley and company, however, it must be recognised that sanctioning the purchase of the pacey winger is admirably forward thinking.

It had been assumed that United’s owner would only fork out to bring in players where there was a dire need for cover, but right-winger Routledge has arrived despite the presence of Danny Guthrie and the unproven Fabrice Pancrate in the squad.

Quick and attack-minded, he has the potential to offer the kind of offensive options that will excite Newcastle fans, who will remember him as their chief tormentor when QPR put the frighteners on them at St James’ Park earlier in the season.

“I hope I can be the kind of player who gets the fans off their seats. I know the supporters round here appreciate attacking football from the Kevin Keegan days and I am a player who likes going at defences with the ball at my feet,” he said.

“I like to create goals and score goals and with the attacking options that this squad has got, I can’t wait to get out there.

“There’s some frightening talent in the squad. I was introduced to them yesterday morning and everywhere I looked there were internationals, guys with Champions League experience – all of them top, top players. The quality is definitely there to get us out of the Championship.

“I have joined a proper club that gets huge crowds. It is a mad football town which I know from playing here for other clubs. In my mind I have joined a Premier League club playing in the Championship – and the potential is frightening.”

NEWCASTLE United will look to sign two more players this week to add to the impressive capture of winger Wayne Routledge from QPR.

Routledge will add some much needed pace and creativity to Newcastle’s midfield after the Magpies moved quickly to steal him from under the noses of local rivals Middlesbrough. Boro boss Gordon Strachan had believed he was close to finalising a deal for Routledge only for United to persuade him to sign a three-and-a-half year contract with them.

Although United boss Chris Hughton has publicly focused on the need for a centre-back and a striker before the close of the window, he has sensibly looked to strengthen his wide positions with Fabrice Pancrate struggling to prove he is worthy of a first team berth.

Hughton told The Journal: “We are absolutely delighted to get him because it’s not necessarily one we thought would happen this month.

“We have moved very quickly, he has been linked with a few clubs, but he wanted to come here, he is the right age and I think he is a player who will have a big impact at Newcastle.

“He is not a young player any more and he has gained a lot of experience at some big clubs. He gives the squad a lot of options.

“People primarily think of him as a wide player but he can play in two or three different positions and he has really developed over the last few years. He is quick and he has a lot of energy.”

Routledge – who is thought to have cost just under £1million – is an intriguing acquisition. The 25-year-old was once talked about as an England international, but in an exclusive interview with The Journal he admits he has failed to realise his early potential.

The former Crystal Palace prospect – who will make his Newcastle debut against his former club tonight – has played for eight clubs in as many years and hopes a move to the North East will bring him stability and the chance to re-ignite his career.

Routledge only signed for QPR from Aston Villa in the summer, but he had become disillusioned by the upheaval at

Loftus Road which has seen two managers – Jim Magilton and Paul Hart – both part company with the west London club this season.

United were also expected to finalise Mike Williamson’s move to Tyneside yesterday but, despite the delay, the club expect to confirm the transfer before tonight’s Championship clash with Crystal Palace.

Hughton said: “I am very, very confident on that one. It’s just a case of crossing the Ts and dotting the Is I believe and that will be done.”

The Journal has also discovered talks are at an advanced stage with another player – possibly Everton striker James Vaughan – and Hughton confirmed things have been moving quickly behind the scenes.

He said: “We have been very busy over the last couple of days and there is a lot going on. All I can say at the moment is we are still looking to bring in another couple of players before the window closes.”

It could have been different for Routledge, who consulted former team-mate Jermaine Jenas before making the switch to Tyneside.

Iiiiiinteresting.

Yeah.....so's this....

Routledge only signed for QPR from Aston Villa in the summer, but he had become disillusioned by the upheaval at

Loftus Road which has seen two managers – Jim Magilton and Paul Hart – both part company with the west London club this season.

:)

hope he's not come here expecting a quiet life :razz:

Whatever your opinion of Ashley and company, however, it must be recognised that sanctioning the purchase of the pacey winger is admirably forward thinking.

It had been assumed that United’s owner would only fork out to bring in players where there was a dire need for cover, but right-winger Routledge has arrived despite the presence of Danny Guthrie and the unproven Fabrice Pancrate in the squad.

Aye, because we had a plethora of options on the right wing, either push Guthrie out of position or stick in the shite Frenchman. Which idiot wrote this piece?

Hmm, wonder if he was 'got rid' by QPR due to being involved in the Magilton 'business' ??

The aticle up there /\ : "...the unproven Pancrate..." Is that right??????? From what I've been reading, the proof is out there!

Someone told Routledge Newcastle was closer to London than Meedelsbrough, part 2 ;) ;) B)