your thoughts on our manager

Dr Gloom

hughton has done a better job than any of us would have expected at the start of the season. but how many of you think he has a long term future at the club?

he deserves a lot of credit for guiding us to the top of the table. no one expected that. if he takes us up, surely he deserves a chance to manage in the top flight? i think if he takes us up, he would deserves a crack at it. but i'm torn.

i can't get rid of nagging doubts at the back of my mind. we've been playing horrible football all season, we're lucky to be where we are in the table; the standard of football in this division is so awful - is he good enough to manage in the top flight? and if we go up, will he simply be so happy to be in charge of a premier league club that he turns into another ashley puppet?

like i said, i'm torn. what do you lot reckon?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long's he got left on his contract? Another 12 months or so? I can see Ashley sticking with it until the bitter end. I mean, it took Joe Kinnear having a fucking heart bypass operation to get him off the books so Hughton languishing in the relegation spots won't get him sacked.

As you say he'll probably be manager next season (to start with anyway) due to his contract running until the end of it. A bit like the players, he's not the answer but we're unlikely to get better with Ashley in charge. Meant to be a good coach MickMartin alludes to.

Also, a bit like the players a lot of what he has done has been a result of the quality of the rest of the division. Fair play to him for getting on with things in a dignified manner etc. but no decent PL team would even think about employing him as manager imo.

Allardyce without the offensive personality.

Actually I think he keeps it simple while Allardyce tried to be too clever before he'd even got the basics right.

He deserves a modicum of credit for getting on with things without really knowing what the future of the club is. He's made quite a few mistakes regarding team selection but I don't think he's completely clueless.

At the end of the day I'm not convinced he'll ever be a top flight manager and if I had my way I wouldn't risk finding out if we go up next season.

He deserves a modicum of credit for getting on with things without really knowing what the future of the club is. He's made quite a few mistakes regarding team selection but I don't think he's completely clueless.

At the end of the day I'm not convinced he'll ever be a top flight manager and if I had my way I wouldn't risk finding out if we go up next season.

I he keeps picking the strong characters in their preferred positions (Smith, Nolan, etc.) to the detriment of the younger players like Guthrie. That doesn't bode well for next season when it's inevitable that we'll have to sign some 'egos' if we're to have much hope of avoiding relegation.

Hopeless.

This team should have been head and shoulders above the others and I cant recall the last time I watched us play really well.

Nothing will change however while Ashley is in charge.

Fuck me its depressing.

I think that's harsh like. What side do you think he should be putting out?

Hard to complain about him really.

I keep wondering when his contract expires, as I reckon, if promoted, he'll get us relegated. I also think he'll be unable to attract a decent calibre of players, or motivate a squad when things go badly.

On the other side of that, he's working with shit players, a small enough budget and had all the Ashley out stuff to deal with. He also played 4-5-1, which I thought was a hugely defensive tactic, but it got Nolan a rake of goals and us a lot of points. He also seems to know which parts of the team need strenghtening(nice for a change).

I was thinking last night, when Sir Bob was on charge, we had 2 players for every position, (Harper/Given, Griffin/Hughes, Zog/Robert, Ambrose/Nobby etc.) now though, I couldn't think who'd play on the left of midfield or left back with Jonas/Jose injured.

if we sack him before we go up, it will fuel the media scorn about us not giving our managers enough time.

doesn't he deserve a chance if we go up?

i'm saying this based on the achievement (if it happens) of getting us promoted at the first time of asking combined with how low our expectations were pre-season, not on the performances that have got us to where we are.

if we sack him before we go up, it will fuel the media scorn about us not giving our managers enough time.

i'm saying this based on the achievement (if it happens) of getting us promoted at the first time of asking combined with how low our expectations were pre-season, not on the performances that have got us to where we are.

Well I'd suggest you're using the wrong criteria.

Hopeless.

This team should have been head and shoulders above the others and I cant recall the last time I watched us play really well.

Fuck me its depressing.

I dont think its easy as saying what side you'd put out but I would certainly have Krul in ahead of Harper, particularly with his confidence on collecting crosses.

Its the old scenario were I think a proper manager would get more out of the current squad. (And thats not his fault because he's really a coach)

There is a squad there that should be able to go out and tear some of these teams apart and for whatever reason he either cant put that together in training or motivate the performance.

Exact same with Roeder.

Would have been harsh to give him the boot despite doing a fairly decent job under difficult circumstances.

Most fans knew he wasn't going to be good enough though.

Hopeless.

Fuck me its depressing.

I dont think its easy as saying what side you'd put out but I would certainly have Krul in ahead of Harper, particularly with his confidence on collecting crosses.

Its the old scenario were I think a proper manager would get more out of the current squad. (And thats not his fault because he's really a coach)

There is a squad there that should be able to go out and tear some of these teams apart and for whatever reason he either cant put that together in training or motivate the performance.

I don't think they would get much more out of it tbh. I think he's largely playing to our strengths given the lack of creativity and solid defence (of which Harper has been a key part imo). There's barely a decent 'footballer' in the side and we've got the best GD in the league and we're 3 points clear with a game in hand.

Well I'd suggest you're using the wrong criteria.

i'm trying to play devil's advocate a little bit. it would be very harsh on him to sack him if he took us up

I've been told that he gets influenced by senior members of the squad who intimidate him into doing things their way. Nolan, Butt, Taylor, Smith pretty much have his ear.

He is in no way shape or form good enough to avoid a mackem-esque 19 points if he were to remain in charge next season (if we go up!)