Things are looking up!

Flair

Grow up

nobody is pretending anything. You can't blame Ashley for writing cheques period. It is not his fault managers and others tasked with spending that money made a fuck up of it.

With regard to his reign, an unemotional analysis would be needed but that won't happen here and now. However his reign was decent in my eyes untill it went tits up.

I like mort (as most did at the time), I liked the links they tried to develop in the community with regard to family sections, singing sections etc. I liked the three year deal, I liked that they tried to put some structure into a very unstructured club. I liked an owner who didn't want to spout shit all the time. I liked that he brought keegan back.

Had that last decision being better (as much as I liked it), I think we would be in a lot better position today.

:( Fucking hell. That's like saying Diana was having a good night out until the chauffeur bumped the car.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from the catastrophic decisions made by Ashley, he's also responsible for signing all the high wage earners we have, isn't he? Just the owner we needed :(

don't think Ashley signed any of them.

Smith, Nolan, Guti, Collocini, all high earners and all signed under Fat Mikes watch.

not by him.

He just wrote the cheques. (which normally a chairman would get praise for)

Don't pretend you don't understand what's being said, pedantic twat. Ashleys reign is pretty much indefensible.

Grow up

nobody is pretending anything. You can't blame Ashley for writing cheques period. It is not his fault managers and others tasked with spending that money made a fuck up of it.

With regard to his reign, an unemotional analysis would be needed but that won't happen here and now. However his reign was decent in my eyes untill it went tits up.

I like mort (as most did at the time), I liked the links they tried to develop in the community with regard to family sections, singing sections etc. I liked the three year deal, I liked that they tried to put some structure into a very unstructured club. I liked an owner who didn't want to spout shit all the time. I liked that he brought keegan back.

Had that last decision being better (as much as I liked it), I think we would be in a lot better position today.

:) Golden!

Apart from the catastrophic decisions made by Ashley, he's also responsible for signing all the high wage earners we have, isn't he? Just the owner we needed :(

Smith, Nolan, Guti, Collocini, all high earners and all signed under Fat Mikes watch.

not by him.

He just wrote the cheques. (which normally a chairman would get praise for)

Don't pretend you don't understand what's being said, pedantic twat. Ashleys reign is pretty much indefensible.

Grow up

Yet the previous regime are blamed for wasting money .....

Mort was just Ashleys mouthpiece. No club appears in europe as often as we did and signs the players we did without a positive direction and "a structure". Did you like an owner who obviously went down into pubs in the city centre yet at the same time knew that he wasn't going to show the ambition they expected and tried to gain affection by trying to be "one of the lads". Amazingly, he took everybody in too, they all believed it to be genuine. An owner who thinks it is OK to go into boardrooms in replica tops and dance like an idiot in there after we beat the mackems ?

Some of us never expected Keegan to last, once he realised what was not going to happen.

I said all of this at the time, and was roundly condemned for it.

Edited by LeazesMag

Grow up

:( Fucking hell. That's like saying Diana was having a good night out until the chauffeur bumped the car.

:)

The statement was Ashleys reign is undefensable.

I clearly disagree, it started very well untill the keegan appointment. Up until then most supporters ( most) were quite happy with what was going on.

Fair enough. You can count me among those that were not.

I saw it for what it was when Mort made his comments, Allardyce was unhappy at his lack of support on a day to day basis, and Ashleys stupid PR stunts for what they were. It all took about 6 weeks - and I knew.

I clearly disagree, it started very well untill the keegan appointment. Up until then most supporters ( most) were quite happy with what was going on.

Whilst I agree a lot were happy up until that point, lets not lose sight of the fact that the milestone you're referring to was only 8 months into Ashley's ownership. It was still the fucking honeymoon period man! :(

Whilst I agree a lot were happy up until that point, lets not lose sight of the fact that the milestone you're referring to was only 8 months into Ashley's ownership. It was still the fucking honeymoon period man! :(

Exactly. And even during that 'golden era' there were rumours in the press that a lot of us, myself included, chose to ignore.

Exactly. And even during that 'golden era' there were rumours in the press that a lot of us, myself included, chose to ignore.

I'm with you on that one - I chose not to believe them because I never thought Ashley would be that stupid to employ Keegan and then try to undermine him. Surely a self-made billionaire wouldn't be that lacking in savvy? :)

Surprised at you for that tbh, because he didn't look happy, the same as Allardyce !!!!!

Surprised at you for that tbh, because he didn't look happy, the same as Allardyce !!!!!

I think a lot of us were blinded by the euphoria of KK being back - can't see the woods for the trees and all that....

Even prior to KK coming back, there were stories going around that suggested that ashley was clueless or was going to do things on the cheap. I think a lot of us ignored them, or dismissed them as paper talk, or said it was the jealous national press having a go at us because we'd landed a billionaire. I admit I'm guilty of giving ashley the benefit of the doubt initially, but his true colours came out soon enough.

I suspect you're being deliberately obtuse because I've highlighted the flaw in your logic. If you mean the manager signed the actual players that's one thing, but you were saying Ashley was the owner we needed and by extension, praising him from a financial viewpoint. Are you suggestion he didn't rubber stamp the contracts people got who were signed after he bought the club? The likes of Alan Smith and Joey Barton, for example. Massive wage earners given a contract by the current owner. And in Barton's case he effectively paid his Man City loyalty bonus too. The only reason we're now being frugal is because he's fucked up, got us relegated and is now skint. Don't make out like it was some sort of master (5-year) plan.

I think it's a tad unfair to lay all the blame at Ashleys door.

My original point was had fred remained we could still be in the prem but in a much worse position (financially) or even worse, relegated and still financially fucked ( no interest free loans from freddy).

I think the points you make about big wages, bonus payments etc only show an owner who at that time was prepared to sanction big deals. I think it went tits up with the KK appointment (which seemed rediculously rushed through).

Had a proper appointment being made at this point in time then I think we would be in a much better situation today.

As much as I love KK he was definately the wrong man.

as evident by his results?...no

by the way he got us playing?...no

so what then?

Probably by virtue of the fact that he had the 'brass neck' to question the action those above him - something that wasn't without precedence as Sir John Hall can testify.

In other words, he had a pair of bollocks - something that Hughton most definitely does not.

as evident by his results?...no

by the way he got us playing?...no

so what then?

Probably by virtue of the fact that he had the 'brass neck' to question the action those above him - something that wasn't without precedence as Sir John Hall can testify.

In other words, he had a pair of bollocks - something that Hughton most definitely does not.

Playing chicken where neither man is going to swerve only ends in bloodshed.

My original point was had fred remained we could still be in the prem but in a much worse position (financially) or even worse, relegated and still financially fucked ( no interest free loans from freddy).

I think the points you make about big wages, bonus payments etc only show an owner who at that time was prepared to sanction big deals. I think it went tits up with the KK appointment (which seemed rediculously rushed through).

Had a proper appointment being made at this point in time then I think we would be in a much better situation today.

I only made the points about big wages because you were making a point about Ashley being the owner we needed, i.e. from a financial viewpoint, insinuating (it would seem) he was putting the club right even though all the big wage earners are on contracts he approved. Again, I'm sure you got all that but pretended otherwise.

I only made the points about big wages because you were making a point about Ashley being the owner we needed, i.e. from a financial viewpoint, insinuating (it would seem) he was putting the club right even though all the big wage earners are on contracts he approved. Again, I'm sure you got all that but pretended otherwise.

a further point being that if we want to challenge the [other] top clubs again, ever again, we are going to have to pay top dollar again.

A fairly basic point which still gets ignored ........

a further point being that if we want to challenge the [other] top clubs again, ever again, we are going to have to pay top dollar again.

And we're even going to have to spend a significant amount to guarantee survival next season, assuming we go up. The striking options and central midfield we have have relegation written all over them unless things change.

And we're even going to have to spend a significant amount to guarantee survival next season, assuming we go up. The striking options and central midfield we have have relegation written all over them unless things change.

.......... back into debt ............

the moral is ?