Jose

Marko

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Enrique the Habib Beye of a 2 years ago?

Where is Beye now? Oh yeah, rotting in Villa's reserves.

Not even close.

Habib Beye was past his best when he came to Newcastle. He was an excellent player for us because he read the game well and when he committed to a tackle he just about always pulled it off. At Villa there's very little reason to invest in Beye. He has a few years left at best. He's there simply to be cover in the event of injuries. Mind you in our side he'd waltz straight back into the right back position.

Enrique has been on the improve ever since coming to us, but always had the foundations to be an exceptional player. He's quick, he's strong, and he has a powerful left foot. His reading of the game has improved immensely, as has his ability to combine with the midfield on attacking raids down the field.

Habib Beye was a dimly shining light in a heap of absolute shit. This is now shown by the fact he is behind Nigel Reo-Coker in the Villa pecking order

Enrique is massively overrated by some tbh especially with people suggesting he is better than the likes of Bridge and Baines. He will be exposed for what he is should we return. Same with Coloccini

Shades of "Harper for England" ;)

Enrique was our best player last season for my money, better than Beye or Bassong (who faded in the second half of the season) and I can only remember him having a couple of bad games in the whole time he's been here (for some reason the media picked up on them and seemed to think that was the way he always played). Obviously the championship is a level beneath him (as it is for Colo and Taylor) but I expect he will go on to do well in the premiership should we go up and can't think of many left backs in the country that are better than him (Cole, Evra and Clichy being the ones that spring to mind but I think there would be an argument against any others).

Enrique is definitely good enough for top half of the premiership. Yes he's made to look better than he is by the paucity of talent down in this league, but he and Colocinni don't just look good (like Guthrie for example) they look like world beaters. He was a bit naive on his first eason for us, but he's come on leaps and bounds imo. Liverpool was mentioned earlier and I'd be surprised to see that, but not shocked Everton would be where I'd expect Ashley to sell him off to. Big strong, quick, decent on the ball and hard working.

Edited by The Fish

I remain to be convinced, tbh. Admittedly, you lot will have seen more of him than I, but I just wonder if he is that good. I do think he has a reasonably good partnership with Jonas, but what I saw didn't result in too much threat. When I've seen him this season, he had this habit of stopping on the ball in dangerous areas (particularly his bit of ground on the left hand side of the penalty area) and trying to out-fox the opposition. If he is still doing that - when he comes back - and continues to do it in the Prem (Allah willing - one for you there BR ;) ) he will get, raped, I think the popular expression is these days.

When will you lot ever give it a fucking rest with Jonas!!!!!

He is absolute shite. He was shite in the prem and has continued to do fuck all in this division apart from run around like a cat with a firework strapped to its tail.

Routledge has looked far more a proper player than Jonas has in the short time he's been here.

Rant over.

As for Enrique, Alex summed him up

he'd do well in a decent PL team, without really scaling the heights

Looking at him as just a defender, i think he is probably equal to the best left backs in the premiership. Looking at him as a left back and responsibility to get forward he has in his position, he has work to do. Age is on his side in the position he plays and experience gives you better judgement about these things.

Looking at him as just a defender, i think he is probably equal to the best left backs in the premiership. Looking at him as a left back and responsibility to get forward he has in his position, he has work to do. Age is on his side in the position he plays and experience gives you better judgement about these things.

I'd assume it's easier to learn when to get forward, rather than having to learn the defensive side of things. If you're tactically and positionally aware to begin with you'd be less likely to get yourself in trouble when you do decide to bomb on.

Of course I could be wrong.

His crossing is inconsistent, but defensively he is as fast as anyone and very strong too. I agree, generally, I think he is easily good enough to play for a top 6 team in the premiership.

Enrique is definitely good enough for top half of the premiership. Yes he's made to look better than he is by the paucity of talent down in this league, but he and Colocinni don't just look good (like Guthrie for example) they look like world beaters. He was a bit naive on his first eason for us, but he's come on leaps and bounds imo. Liverpool was mentioned earlier and I'd be surprised to see that, but not shocked Everton would be where I'd expect Ashley to sell him off to. Big strong, quick, decent on the ball and hard working.

Pretty much on the money here, though Coloccini still doesn't look comfortable against pace with the ball on the deck.

Enrique was definitely green when he first came to us, and had some injury problems coupled with a manager who seemingly refused to give him a consistent run in the side. As others have pointed out he's not yet at the top level in terms of attack from a full-back, but he's constantly improving in that regards. In terms of defense as I previously mentioned he's better than Baines. Bridge is decent, but in my humble opinion is terrribly overrated.

Whoever said that Enrique was continually exposed in the Premier League obviously didn't watch any/many games. He not only did his part, but also helped on many occassions to cover for the complete lack of pace that we had across the back (Coloccini and Taylor in particular are slow, and Beye is also not quick). I remember him largely nullifying an in form Aaron Lennon last season, something that not many fullbacks in the league would be capable of.

One thing that does concern me is that this season he's perhaps a little too confident on the ball - in that he'll keep the ball at the back because he's confident he will be able to beat the player trying to close him down. Just about without fail he does however in the Premier League against a much higher class of opposition he'll be doing it much tougher and the risk will become much much greater.

On the whole though he's not long been 24 and continues to show signs of improvement.

His crossing is inconsistent, but defensively he is as fast as anyone and very strong too. I agree, generally, I think he is easily good enough to play for a top 6 team in the premiership.

I'd agree with all of that.

He is absolute shite. He was shite in the prem and has continued to do fuck all in this division apart from run around like a cat with a firework strapped to its tail.

Frustrating as he is if you can't see the value of a player who can hold possession and continually beat and frustrate the opposition then you're on a different page altogether.

Frustrating as he is if you can't see the value of a player who can hold possession and continually beat and frustrate the opposition then you're on a different page altogether.

and appreciate the sheer number of freekicks he wins too, it'll be even more in the prem with the refs being a lot pickier about freekicks

if we get someone who can deliver a ball properly it'll be even more valuable with the height in the side

But he doesn't, he runs for 25 yards and then usually loses posession.

And the only people he frustrates is toon fans!

and appreciate the sheer number of freekicks he wins too, it'll be even more in the prem with the refs being a lot pickier about freekicks

if we get someone who can deliver a ball properly it'll be even more valuable with the height in the side

haven't got a clue what that last sentence is all about???

if we sign a player in summer who can actually take a good freekick then the number of freekicks jonas wins (which is probably more than anyone in the side) and the positions he gets them in (that left side around the box) will be incredibly useful in a relegation fight considering the size of most of our forward lineup

Until CT brought him up I don't think many people were casting much praise Jonas' way to be honest. Sounds like someone has a grudge ;)

Edited by The Fish

if we sign a player in summer who can actually take a good freekick then the number of freekicks jonas wins (which is probably more than anyone in the side) and the positions he gets them in (that left side around the box) will be incredibly useful in a relegation fight considering the size of most of our forward lineup

thats about the size of it. Still, the club has made massive progress in the last few years. ;)

Until CT brought him up I don't think many people were casting much praise Jonas' way to be honest. Sounds like someone has a grudge ;)

Inspector Fish, you deserve a promotion.

CT is a tiresome fellow on many levels and his Jonas obsession is almost as bad as Gemmill's Martins one. Jonas is not what he was hyped to be, but he contributes a lot to our team that the rest of our squad simply are not capable of doing. I remember several games where he had an absolute field day against the opposing right back - . Would I like to have someone better? Yes. Would I prefer to still have Milner? Yes. But considering the state we're in, he's one of the better players in the side.

Why didn't Mike buy us a better winger if Jonas is so shite? By the same token, why did he buy him in the first place if he's so shite? Oh, I know, because he was supposedly going to be on a free so Ashley could replace Milner and still make a profit (all for the good of NUFC and nothing to do with filling his own pockets of course.) Too bad that didn't work out either and we ended up paying for him as well, all thanks to the expert scouting staff employed by Ashley.

CT is a tiresome fellow on many levels and his Jonas obsession is almost as bad as Gemmill's Martins one. Jonas is not what he was hyped to be, but he contributes a lot to our team that the rest of our squad simply are not capable of doing. I remember several games where he had an absolute field day against the opposing right back - . Would I like to have someone better? Yes. Would I prefer to still have Milner? Yes. But considering the state we're in, he's one of the better players in the side.

Why didn't Mike buy us a better winger if Jonas is so shite? By the same token, why did he buy him in the first place if he's so shite? Oh, I know, because he was supposedly going to be on a free so Ashley could replace Milner and still make a profit (all for the good of NUFC and nothing to do with filling his own pockets of course.) Too bad that didn't work out either and we ended up paying for him as well, all thanks to the expert scouting staff employed by Ashley.

This is the problem though, people like you trot out this crap as highlighted above when the truth is more what I describe. What we have needed for some time is another Routledge on the left.

Jonas huffs and puffs but fuck all comes from it. Doesnt matter if he has a field day if the ball doesnt end up in the back of the net.

Personally I would have like to see Lua Lua brought into the team and given a run but can only imagine at some point he has bee caught in the showers with Mrs Hughton.

Jonas grafts his bollocks off, beats his man and assists in goals. He is the best we have in that position so why continually knock him.

Enrique not too sure I'm never too confident when he has the ball.

Bring xisco back is what I say

Until CT brought him up I don't think many people were casting much praise Jonas' way to be honest. Sounds like someone has a grudge :icon_lol:

I think you're spot on again.

Jonas grafts his bollocks off, beats his man and assists in goals. He is the best we have in that position so why continually knock him.

Enrique not too sure I'm never too confident when he has the ball.

Bring xisco back is what I say

Jonas stops more of our attacks than the opposition.

This is the problem though, people like you trot out this crap as highlighted above when the truth is more what I describe. What we have needed for some time is another Routledge on the left.

Jonas huffs and puffs but fuck all comes from it. Doesnt matter if he has a field day if the ball doesnt end up in the back of the net.

Personally I would have like to see Lua Lua brought into the team and given a run but can only imagine at some point he has bee caught in the showers with Mrs Hughton.

My point, CT, was that no one was banging on about Jonas until you said "Oh will you lot stop banging on about Jonas!"

I don't think Jonas gets half the praise you think he does, in fact I'd say people in general see him for what he is, and for what atp described. He's our best option on our left, but that's not saying much.

My point, CT, was that no one was banging on about Jonas until you said "Oh will you lot stop banging on about Jonas!"

I don't think Jonas gets half the praise you think he does, in fact I'd say people in general see him for what he is, and for what atp described. He's our best option on our left, but that's not saying much.

Fishy, have another look at page 2 then you will see where it came from.

I had commented that our midfield and forwards were not good enough for the prem to which Geordie lad said jonas was. Across the pond said the same and Leazes agreed.

A simple "fair enough" will suffice. :-)