Hopes vs Expectations

OTF

You raise an interesting point there whereby Hughton (I'm on about next year btw) is probably the sort of bloke, due to his reputation as being a good coach but inexperienced manager is probably someone who could benefit from a DoF helping out whereas KK didn't need one. The former probably won't get one whereas the latter got one who undermined him from the off.

I think in this day and age, ALL clubs need one. However getting a good one is probably as difficult as getting a good manager.

None of the top clubs in this country have one and the top clubs in this country are, with the exception of Barcelona, the top sides in Europe so I'm not sure that's true. You just need a manager who is a good judge of a player. I'm not saying you can't have success with one but I don't really know how you can argue you need one.

Maybe they have different tags etc at other clubs but I cant see Ferguson or Wenger getting involved in the nitty gritty of contract negogiations, player contracts, etc etc

Whether they have better MD's who handle this I dont know.

Maybe they have different tags etc at other clubs but I cant see Ferguson or Wenger getting involved in the nitty gritty of contract negogiations, player contracts, etc etc

David Gill does it at Man U and David Dein used to do it at Arsenal. You'll notice how both these men had experience in football before being appointed to the post.

Also, they weren't involved in identifying players, this is left to the manager and his scouts.

David Gill does it at Man U and David Dein used to do it at Arsenal. You'll notice how both these men had experience in football before being appointed to the post.

Also, they weren't involved in identifying players, this is left to the manager and his scouts.

Had a quick search and found this re Arsenal...

Sam Wallace reveals in The Independent today that Arsenal have unofficially filled the role of director of football at the club, a position vacated by David Dein two years ago.

Wallace writes: "Dick Law, who helped bring Gilberto Silva and Carlos Vela to Arsenal, has become the club's fixer on transfer deals and the re-negotiation of contracts for existing players... The club are adamant that Law is not to be regarded as a director of football and that he is only a consultant to the club rather than a full-time employee. Law, a Fifa-licensed agent, has an office at the training ground and his main responsibilities are strategy, contract negotiations, administration and planning."

Whether they have the title or not I am sure each of the top clubs has people doing these roles. It really is such a big job these days made worse I guess by the number of foreign languages spoken by players.

Llambias is hopeless and Hughton inexperienced so I would say this role is a must for us. It always needs to be manager directed tho imo.

You raise an interesting point there whereby Hughton (I'm on about next year btw) is probably the sort of bloke, due to his reputation as being a good coach but inexperienced manager is probably someone who could benefit from a DoF helping out whereas KK didn't need one. The former probably won't get one whereas the latter got one who undermined him from the off.

I just think that CH clearly has some good qualities but also I think he'd be out of his depth back in the Prem. While I know experience will (you'd imagine) improve him, like you say I think a good DOF at this moment could be a huge step forward for the club. Given Llambias knows fuck all (about anything imo).

Hopes-

NUST (or a similar outfit) gets it's collective shit together and buy the club.

Expectations-

Another season of the club being for sale just before the transfer windows, then pulled as the window closes.

Hopes- The day after we win this league, Ashley announces we have been bought by a NUST/ Shearer/ Keegan consortium. Shearer is announced as manager, with Clarky his assistant, Keegan as DoF.

We finish respectably in the top 10, have an incredible Cup run and paste the mackems 9-0 in the final. ( the same day Sports Direct goes into receivership).

Expectations- £6-8 million spent in summer on 3 underwhelming signings. Struggle to get higher than 16th all season with an alarming dip at Christmas.

"More than two" credible bids of £300 million announced and then ignored. Hughton replaced in February by some sub- Kinnear joke.

hopes - a barnstorming return to the top flight echoing the last time we were promoted, free flowing attacking football, gate crashing the top 4, full houses and becoming everyone's second team again

expectations - hughton to get the sack before christmas, ashley to put the club on and off the market at least once, more pr gaffes from llambias, a season long flirtation with relegation concluding with squeaky bum spring time

thats about the size of it but add a managerial farce around christmas resulting in us appointing niall quinn as manager

I think in this day and age, ALL clubs need one. However getting a good one is probably as difficult as getting a good manager.

None of the top clubs in this country have one and the top clubs in this country are, with the exception of Barcelona, the top sides in Europe so I'm not sure that's true. You just need a manager who is a good judge of a player. I'm not saying you can't have success with one but I don't really know how you can argue you need one.

That's not really a Director of Football though in terms of what it has come to mean in this country or on the continent, i.e. someone who actually gets involved in the choosing of players. The stuff you're on about is a chairman's job, is it not? I can understand why you might want to remove this from our current one's responsibilties though :yes

Edited by alex

Fredde Sears cant score in the Championship. I wouldnt be sniffing around him.

I'd take Keane and O'Hara though.

He's got bags of pace, so would add that extra dimesion to the subs bench.

24 games this season, 0 goals, 1 assist

thats in the CCC

no thanks

24 games this season, 0 goals, 1 assist

thats in the CCC

no thanks

The only "goal" he did score was the one away at Bristol City that hit the back of the goal and came back out. Hilarious just to see Warnock go mad.

• 8 months later...