It Was Like Eastenders

Christmas Tree

:D

You'd rather be facing administration with the memory of an FA cup win?

Jesus.

Winning the FA Cup caused their current situation did it ?

So you DO think clubs shouldn't be striving to win tournaments ?

:icon_lol:

You can comment on the rest of the post that you clipped if you like, but I suspect you won't.

No they spent more money than they could afford, this enabled them to win the FA cup but then led to their current situation.

It isn't as simple as "spend money and you will be successful" which seems to be a magic formula. YES if you want to be successful you do need to spend money, you also need to make sure the money being spent is being spent right. Employing the right manager is essential in doing this which is something we failed to do since Sir Bobby.

Now I completely agree it isn't easy to employ someone who is guaranteed to be a success (which is why I think giving Hughton a chance isn't the worst idea in the world) but some of the appointments since Sir Bobby where clearly the wrong choice.

As has been mentioned on here, Souness was heavily rumoured to be jobless in the very near future when at Blackburn. They must have been taking it in turns in the boardroom to pinch each other when someone not only offered to take their manager away meaning they won't have to pay compensation but they were also going to RECEIVE money for it.

I still remember the day he was appointed and someone actually came up to me before I found out asking what the hell we were doing appointing him, I thought they were taking the piss.

We have been on a downward spiral from then appointing one poor choice to the next and that includes Mike Ashley and no amount of throwing money at the problem was going to fix it with the wrong people in charge. We were still digging the hole, the only difference is we were using a solid gold spade instead of the standard B&Q one.

Edited by Gejon

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Barrack Road
Stevie and Leazes you really are embarrassing yourselves. If you really believed in this exclusive local identity thing then you'd not cheer on the players who were from outside the area.

Move on, you look like a pair of tits.

What are you on about you fuckin stupid cunt? In this thread or for a long while I've never even made reference to local identity even though I believe it should be the single fundamental thing at a football club. Why involve me in that with regards to this post you total mug?

said with more style than me

You two both go for the "more local than you so I win the argument" line a lot, I can't believe you're going to pretend otherwise. The fact is I support Newcastle Utd and I always will. There are millions like me who pay money to the club via merchandising and Sky subscriptions. If you want to run the club on an income of 52000 x £40 every fortnight then you'll have to get used to watching football that's a lot worse than it is now.

I know you're both pissed off about not being allowed to stay in that B&B but don't take it out on me. :icon_lol:

Where have I in this post? Sometimes you have to pipe down.

Where did I say you said it in that post?

"Move on you look like a pair of massive tits" suggests I said something in the post for you to include me in it.

Jesus.

You can comment on the rest of the post that you clipped if you like, but I suspect you won't.

There's no point repeating myself.

Your position is that the only way to be successful is to spend money regardless of whether or not your club can afford to.

I'm saying you have to know when to spend and when not to.

Anything else is just repetition.

Stevie and Leazes you really are embarrassing yourselves. If you really believed in this exclusive local identity thing then you'd not cheer on the players who were from outside the area.

Move on, you look like a pair of tits.

What are you on about you fuckin stupid cunt? In this thread or for a long while I've never even made reference to local identity even though I believe it should be the single fundamental thing at a football club. Why involve me in that with regards to this post you total mug?

said with more style than me

You two both go for the "more local than you so I win the argument" line a lot, I can't believe you're going to pretend otherwise. The fact is I support Newcastle Utd and I always will. There are millions like me who pay money to the club via merchandising and Sky subscriptions. If you want to run the club on an income of 52000 x £40 every fortnight then you'll have to get used to watching football that's a lot worse than it is now.

I know you're both pissed off about not being allowed to stay in that B&B but don't take it out on me. :lol:

Where have I in this post? Sometimes you have to pipe down.

Where did I say you said it in that post?

"Move on you look like a pair of massive tits" suggests I said something in the post for you to include me in it.

I think it was probably you highlighting the "you live in Australia" / "so fuck off" parts if I'm honest. :D

Jesus.

There's no point repeating myself.

Your position is that the only way to be successful is to spend money regardless of whether or not your club can afford to.

I'm saying you have to know when to spend and when not to.

Anything else is just repetition.

and Newcastle United, with the 3rd biggest crowd in the country, and thanks to the Halls and Shepherd became something like the 14th biggest turnover in world football, can't afford to spend money on the top players ?

Something seriously wrong with your logic, as well as your ambition and expectations [successfully lowered by Ashley it would appear]

Edited by LeazesMag

Guest Barrack Road
Why do you think Leeds imploded Leazes? Was it because they didn't spend enough?

Leeds are a far more extreme case than we are.

Why do you think Leeds imploded Leazes? Was it because they didn't spend enough?

That's my point. Spending money they didn't have in the pursuit of success over and above all logic caused them to be where they are. They just did it in a more extreme way than us but in our wish to quickly get back to where we "deserved" to be we squandered millions and got nothing in return.

It's all very well giving the Halls and Shepherds credit for the Keegan/Robson years but they also blew a lot of yours and my and Leazes money on utter shite. It wasn't their money.

Success costs money. And NUFC have the support to be bigger than most clubs. Don't attempt to tap it and you are a waste of time. End of.

So shut the fuck up.

How is asking where the money would come from a unacceptable question LM?

What budget for transfers/wages do you think even a maximum level of STs and merchandise + TV Money gives? - I'd guess not enough for survival - maybe £20m.

So where would your money come from?

The alternatives are Ashley speculating which is a fair demand but unlikely and debt.

It looks like a few special cases aside, large debt would not be a possibility. A request for credit in 2010 is infinitely different to a request at anytime under Shepherd. Your suggestion that Ashley or anyone else could simply ask for £50m say is a non-starter. I think large debt being available now is unlikely as it was pre-Hall.

So Man City type purchase aside, maybe the only hope we have for the future is to concentrate on youth development etc - I've certainly accepted that the days of spending millions on players which you seem to suggest is feasible is a non-starter.

This isn't a defence of Ashley btw - I think he either needs to sell up quick or he really does need to speculate to make his money back - the halfway house we're heading for will result in relegation imo but we also have to consider what happens if he does go - a Barry Moat type takeover would just lead us directly to the scenario I describe above.

Excellent post...some very good points

Not all teams who have spent have gone as bad as Leeds - but West Ham, Boro, Sunderland, Villa to an extent and being harsh Newcastle are all in bad shape financially without anything but near misses to show for it.

I'm not saying its wrong to try but the spend and be damned attitude is coming home to roost now and I can see a lot more clubs struggling.

Guest Barrack Road

That's my point. Spending money they didn't have in the pursuit of success over and above all logic caused them to be where they are. They just did it in a more extreme way than us but in our wish to quickly get back to where we "deserved" to be we squandered millions and got nothing in return.

It's all very well giving the Halls and Shepherds credit for the Keegan/Robson years but they also blew a lot of yours and my and Leazes money on utter shite. It wasn't their money.

They all spent a lot of it extremely wisely, and FFS in particular apart from Toongate did nothing majorly wrong till 2004, quite the opposite.

Not all teams who have spent have gone as bad as Leeds - but West Ham, Boro, Sunderland, Villa to an extent and being harsh Newcastle are all in bad shape financially without anything but near misses to show for it.

I'm not saying its wrong to try but the spend and be damned attitude is coming home to roost now and I can see a lot more clubs struggling.

This summer will see alot of purses snapped shut and your right that a good fe clubs could be in the mire.

I read this post on NO

I think the mistake after the last promotion probably refers to the fact that we went into debt to buy ready-made top players in an attempt at quick success. We neglected the youth and scouting networks. Keegan himself referred to it as building a walls and roof of a house without any foundations. (or words to that effect) It's not sustainable long-term unless you have a benefactor who's a bottomless pit of money.

While you can argue over specifics, the truth remains that the foundations need to be in place for sustained success otherwise it all collapses as we saw under Fred. I hope this time we do build a brick at a time and gradually get ourselves back up to the top as a proper club with all the bits in place.

Though tbf to FFS, look at our academy now. Its a far better set up than we've ever had. Something we have to continue and MA has made investment in that. However, I cant help but think its so he can sell for a good mark up. It's up to him to break that belief I now have.

The talk on the radio today was that the next xx years will see the usual trend of the top players playing in Spain, Italy and England stop. Instead China or Booming Russia will attempt to re-create our success over there.

Players will ofcourse follow the way.

This will all follow the example set by the IPL

Will NEVER happen imo. We have what they never will have, we have a heritage in football which is beyond comparison, certainly our league system. It might not always be the best league, but it always be one of the best, and will always hold a lot of prestige for every young boy in every country who wants to become a professional footballer.

Couldn't agree more. The very fibre of this country is wound around a goal post. It's part of England and always will be. Russia and China haven't the grass-roots infrastructure and any attempt to fabricate a European style league system will falter as soon as the fad passes.

The reason the IPL woks in India is because of the clamour for everything Cricket over there. You couldn't recreate that fervour in, say, China. They simply don't love cricket like the Indians do. In the same way, a Russian Czar League won't have the same demand as the Primera Liga. Ever.

Also, no amount of money is going to have the best Brazilians, Argentinians and Africans plying their trade in the sub-zero tundra.

Russia and China may pump cash into their own football leagues, but they won't rival the spectacle of the European leagues, certainly not in our life time. Those reports are baseless suppositions, at best.

If you want to win, it costs money. Ever heard of the phrase "if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle".

Amazed at your dumbness. You sound just like some of the dicks on Newcastle Online

If you want to win, it costs money. Ever heard of the phrase "if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle".

Amazed at your dumbness. You sound just like some of the dicks on Newcastle Online

Again...so why didn't Leeds win? You sound like the bloke who spends his life savings at the bookies saying "If I don't put a bet on, how can I ever win?"

It's a nonsense argument. I've already said several times that you need to spend money but ONLY if that money is spent wisely and ONLY if you can afford the debt. We'd run out of credit and were going nowhere fast....or do you think we were on the verge of greatness before Ashley arrived. Seriously. I want you to answer the specific question.

Were we about to win something before Ashley came along?

Again...so why didn't Leeds win? You sound like the bloke who spends his life savings at the bookies saying "If I don't put a bet on, how can I ever win?"

It's a nonsense argument. I've already said several times that you need to spend money but ONLY if that money is spent wisely and ONLY if you can afford the debt. We'd run out of credit and were going nowhere fast....or do you think we were on the verge of greatness before Ashley arrived. Seriously. I want you to answer the specific question.

do you bet on the lottery ? How come you don't win every week then ? Your questions are getting dafter by the second.

Its piss easy this spending money wisely, in fact its so so soooooooo easy, how doesn't everybody do it :icon_lol:

By the way, for their spending, you got the 5th most qualified team for europe including the Champions League, the 5th highest average position, an expanded stadium full to capacity every home game [they must have done something right :D ],

world class footballers attracted to the club, 2 FA Cup Finals, and one of the highest turnovers in world football.

All on the back of bad appointments and wasting money. Not bad going eh.

We stopped buying raffle tickets and started investing in magic seeds when Souness came in.

if you get your mates on NO to behave like adults and not ban good posters for fuck all, you wouldn't need to follow me around on here so much you know.

As much as you want to believe it (like the attention and that) I am not following you around. I signed up here a long time ago (probably before you, I should have checked before I replied).

It is a much better place without your boring, predictable shite taking up every thread btw.

Anyway back to the discussion about the Halls, Shepherd and Mike Ashley.....

As much as you want to believe it (like the attention and that) I am not following you around. I signed up here a long time ago (probably before you, I should have checked before I replied).

It is a much better place without your boring, predictable shite taking up every thread btw.

Anyway back to the discussion about the Halls, Shepherd and Mike Ashley.....

In your opinion, but that is because you were one of the tosspots who insisted every step of the way that I was wrong, and now you know that I was right. It is very amusing the amount of people on there who can't admit that they were wrong and continue making excuses for Ashley, especially one or two who insisted that replacing Fred with anybody at all would be so wonderful. :D

Any message board would be the worse for losing posters such as me, Stevie, because we can educate southerners like you that know nothing about the football club, only if you listen though. Lets face it we tried once and you didn't want to know :icon_lol:

do you bet on the lottery ? How come you don't win every week then ? Your questions are getting dafter by the second.

Its piss easy this spending money wisely, in fact its so so soooooooo easy, how doesn't everybody do it :icon_lol:

By the way, for their spending, you got the 5th most qualified team for europe including the Champions League, the 5th highest average position, an expanded stadium full to capacity every home game [they must have done something right :D ],

world class footballers attracted to the club, 2 FA Cup Finals, and one of the highest turnovers in world football.

All on the back of bad appointments and wasting money. Not bad going eh.

I don't bet on the lottery. The odds of me losing a pound are loads loads loads loads loads loads higher than me winning a million quid (which btw is statistically more likely to wreck my life than improve it).

Now let's suppose for a second I DID play the lottery.

When do you think I should stop buying tickets and sort my life out?

When I'd lost my wife?

My house?

My kids?

Are you telling us all Leazes that in your opinion there is NEVER a time when you should stop spending money on a possible good outcome?