Baseball

JonTheMag

Isn't there more drugs in the MLB than in the NFL and IAAF combined?

Lots of steroid and growth hormone abuse I think. It's a very gruelling schedule they play mind, something like 162 regular season games, not that that is any excuse of course.

Lots of steroid and growth hormone abuse I think. It's a very gruelling schedule they play mind, something like 162 regular season games, not that that is any excuse of course.

The number of games is just amazing. They're on at different times as well, so sometimes there'll be a game at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon, how is the average working man supposed to get to that game???

Do people have season tickets even though they know they'll miss a load of games?

I think it's a really good sport. I've only been to one (Yankee) game but I really enjoyed it.

The number of games is just amazing. They're on at different times as well, so sometimes there'll be a game at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon, how is the average working man supposed to get to that game???

Do people have season tickets even though they know they'll miss a load of games?

I think it's a really good sport. I've only been to one (Yankee) game but I really enjoyed it.

The day games are almost always on weekends.

They play a staggering amount of games, but t for most of the 3 hours or so most of the players are either sitting on the bench or standing in the outfield doing nothing. Same deal with basketball - the constant substitutions mean that any one player is not playing all-action for 3 hours at a stretch and then being expected to go and do it again tomorrow and the next day.

Interesting enough sport that's seen a lot of change even in the years I've been over here but I've got no time to watch a 3-hour game that's mostly waiting, a few spurts of action, and shite American commentators jawing on about statistics. Going in person is even worse for the prices the Yankees (my local team considering I live in the Bronx) want. I'd rather pay $20 and go see Red Bull NY.

The new Mrs Jimbo is a huge Astros fan, she's taking me to a game next month in Houston, cannot wait !!!

The new Mrs Jimbo is a huge Astros fan, she's taking me to a game next month in Houston, cannot wait !!!

Are they any better than the toon? or is it a fair swap?

I've got a astro glass from when mrs khay was over.

Funny you should say that she was talking me through their recent history last night and judging by their over spending and poor choice in players and under achievement it seems the Astros are the baseball equivalent of Newcastle lol

Funny you should say that she was talking me through their recent history last night and judging by their over spending and poor choice in players and under achievement it seems the Astros are the baseball equivalent of Newcastle lol

Chicago Cubs are the baseball NUFC. No trophy for 102 years, no appearance in the world series since 1945.

I was a huge baseball fan when I was younger, but the strike in '94 got me out of the habit of following. I'm not mad at it or anything and go to a Cardinals game every couple of years with family or the in-laws, but it's just such a looooong season and the playoffs and World Series are always into October and that being the start of the NHL season, I'm rabid for hockey at that time, not baseball.

When I was a little kid, seeing a Cards game was part of the standard "We're going to St. Louis" loadout. Planetarium, mall, Cards game. I remember one of those games (probably around 82-84) somebody got caught with a corked bat. Or at least everyone suspected he had a corked bat. Somebody on the visiting side, no idea who it was now. Remember they stopped the game for like an hour while somebody presumably ran the bat to a local hospital for x-rays. I just remember asking my dad what was going on because everyone was just standing around instead of playing.

Was living close to there in '98 when Sosa and McGwire were having their home run contest. I remember telling everyone that I thought it was strange that Maris' record had stood for as long as it had and now there were two guys looking like they'd break it in the same season. Seemed fishy to me at the time...

Chicago Cubs are the baseball NUFC. No trophy for 102 years, no appearance in the world series since 1945.

Youre both wrong!

The baseball equivalent of NUFC are definitely the New York Mets, at least going on the last few years. It hasnt been easy supporting both of these teams.

The good thing is though, is that just as Newcastle's season is wrapping up, baseball season starts!

I've been! It's a nice stadium actually, but baseball is fairly tedious.

Make sure she takes you to some Texas BBQ place for your tea.

Hey Jimbo, for info: if you go to the US on the usual visa waiver program (what pretty much anyone going on holiday does) you can't change your status to permanent while you're there. If you go on a tourist visa you CAN change your status to permanent on that visit - so you could go over on the tourist visa, get married, and never have to leave.

Just saying like.

Hey Jimbo, for info: if you go to the US on the usual visa waiver program (what pretty much anyone going on holiday does) you can't change your status to permanent while you're there. If you go on a tourist visa you CAN change your status to permanent on that visit - so you could go over on the tourist visa, get married, and never have to leave.

Just saying like.

cheers for the heads-up, I "may" have to look in to this......

Yeah I'm pretty sure the tourist visa is a piece of piss to get. I know a lad from Australia who moved over there on a tourist visa with a plan to marry his American bird whilst there on "holiday". He did so and is still there now. Completely circumvented the nightmare that is the US work visa issue. Obviously you get a green card too at which point you're free to get a job etc.

• 2 years later...

Just saying like.

Gemmill: changing lives, one post at a time.