Ashley to allow spending spree in summer

loonyTOON

Precisely my point, theres no point constructing a plan when we dont know Ashleys intentions, obviously I was regarding to the same transfer market which you've provided us with, which is relevant to the track record. The track record which consitutes of a profit acheived in every transfer window in the Premier Leauge.

That is what got us relegated.

Although if we were to get relegated again and FMA would receive another parachute payment, it is not rocket science to know that being in the PL brings more money in than any parachute payment.

Yes the pressure and expectancy is higher in the PL but i dont think many would tolerate another year in the wilderness.

So too save his arse, get a few more people on board and make his life a little bit easier you would think that this time, this summer, he will do things the way they should be.

I hope he has learned his mistakes, if he hasnt then he is an even bigger idiot than ever conceived before. A fool that doesnt deserve his millions.

This summer is make or break for him, he knows it, if he isnt willing to stump up whats needed (25mil) then he will put up for sale again.

Mike Ashley created a three year plan which would represent the Arsenal model, this was when he took charge, now look at our current predicament, it's not rocket science to see that this 'plan' has been a miserable failure.

ah..

"Planning". Very much trumpeted a few years ago as the way forward ........

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leazes you cant just wing it...there HAS to be some sort of base plan to follow, targets to strive towards....

of course. The minimum target is to play in europe, for a club like Newcastle. We should not be playing by the same rules as small clubs like Bolton etc and counting money in the bank first.

And appreciate people who run the club like this when we have them.

Thing about "planning" is it was made out to bring certain success. Basically, the only "plan" you can make is to appoint a manager who knows what he is doing. Unfortunately all the other clubs have the same "plan" and keep getting in the way.

Leazes you cant just wing it...there HAS to be some sort of base plan to follow, targets to strive towards....

I agree totally, there must be a plan, by that LM I dont mean knowing which players you'll buy and which you'll sell in those years but a concrete "in year 1 we will look to spend £xm which should get us to around top ten, 2nd year another £ym which will lift us into a Europa spot. At the same time we will fund this by increasing corporate sponsorship, moving into the Asian market and whatever the fuck else a football club can do to increase revenue".

I believe Shepherd had these plans in the earlier years (2000 - 2004) before it all started to go to shit. We were one of the first clubs to link with clubs in Asia and Australasia to tap into their academys. We worked hard at getting these markets interested in both the Premiership and more importantly Newcastle. Get that right and you've got a captive audience lapping up your games and more importantly walking round in your shirts.

At the same time, as in any business you need a contingency plan, if your main one starts to fail and instead of getting top ten you're sitting in a relegation threatened position come January then you need to invoke the contingency and be ready to spend.

I agree totally, there must be a plan, by that LM I dont mean knowing which players you'll buy and which you'll sell in those years but a concrete "in year 1 we will look to spend £xm which should get us to around top ten, 2nd year another £ym which will lift us into a Europa spot. At the same time we will fund this by increasing corporate sponsorship, moving into the Asian market and whatever the fuck else a football club can do to increase revenue".

I believe Shepherd had these plans in the earlier years (2000 - 2004) before it all started to go to shit. We were one of the first clubs to link with clubs in Asia and Australasia to tap into their academys. We worked hard at getting these markets interested in both the Premiership and more importantly Newcastle. Get that right and you've got a captive audience lapping up your games and more importantly walking round in your shirts.

At the same time, as in any business you need a contingency plan, if your main one starts to fail and instead of getting top ten you're sitting in a relegation threatened position come January then you need to invoke the contingency and be ready to spend.

yes but as I said earlier, football is different. In reality, most clubs "fail" in terms of not winning trophies. "Planning" doesn't guarantee anything in football. It is results driven, and reactive. Any "plan" will fail if the team starts to lose games, forcing you to change the manager, with different ideas and different ways of doing things. No other "business" changes personell like football clubs.

In terms of the links in the Far East, you are quite right. Unfortunately most people either didn't know this or even take note of it if they did. They did most things right until appointing Souness, which perfectly illustrates my point.

Edited by LeazesMag

yes but as I said earlier, football is different. In reality, most clubs "fail" in terms of not winning trophies. "Planning" doesn't guarantee anything in football. It is results driven, and reactive. Any "plan" will fail if the team starts to lose games, forcing you to change the manager, with different ideas and different ways of doing things. No other "business" changes personell like football clubs.

Agreed however that comes into the contingency planning, if things go wrong and we've given manager A money and hes not getting anywhere then we get rid and turn to manager B, if manager B doesnt want it then manager C etc, a list of potential candidates who you've scouted and already decided you would want to employ. Who are then approached as soon as you know you're sacking a manager. The merry go round we had with Souness and then Roeder was not conducive to a strong team or morale. It also doesnt help you find the right one when you're panicking.

Agreed however that comes into the contingency planning, if things go wrong and we've given manager A money and hes not getting anywhere then we get rid and turn to manager B, if manager B doesnt want it then manager C etc, a list of potential candidates who you've scouted and already decided you would want to employ. Who are then approached as soon as you know you're sacking a manager. The merry go round we had with Souness and then Roeder was not conducive to a strong team or morale. It also doesnt help you find the right one when you're panicking.

me and you basically agree that appointing Souness is when things started to go wrong. That doesn't change the fact that they backed their appointment, which is what a good board does. They also changed him when it was obvious he had to go, too late, but they did.

Roeder, like Hughton now, did well and was given the opportunity. Some people agreed, some didn't, just like some people now say Hughton deserves to keep the job and some say he doesn't appear to have enough in him to do well against what is now going to be all the best managers.

I go with the latter but obviously hope he turns out to be a trophy winner for the club and does a good job which goes without saying. Time will tell. One thing is for sure though, if he isn't given the tools ie backing/money, then he doesn't stand much of a chance.

me and you basically agree that appointing Souness is when things started to go wrong. That doesn't change the fact that they backed their appointment, which is what a good board does. They also changed him when it was obvious he had to go, too late, but they did.

Roeder, like Hughton now, did well and was given the opportunity. Some people agreed, some didn't, just like some people now say Hughton deserves to keep the job and some say he doesn't appear to have enough in him to do well against what is now going to be all the best managers.

I think maybe you're mistaking my comments as slating the previous board, thats not what I was meaning. Shepherd was at fault purely because he reacted too soon and didnt have that magical plan in place for replacing managers. Backing them as he did was exactly what should be done although I do criticise him for not kicking Souness squarely in the nuts when he finally did get shot.

I think maybe you're mistaking my comments as slating the previous board, thats not what I was meaning. Shepherd was at fault purely because he reacted too soon and didnt have that magical plan in place for replacing managers. Backing them as he did was exactly what should be done although I do criticise him for not kicking Souness squarely in the nuts when he finally did get shot.

no mate, I understand what you say and I agree, apart from saying that they had a replacement lined up to replace Bobby Robson who changed his mind and left them in the shit, basically. With hindsight appointing Roeder was also not the right choice but at the time he had done well, just like Hughton. Ashley will give Hughton a chance and lets face it, not too many managers would have done better than he has so far, if they had appointed someone else who had done similar we would all be saying how great an appointment it had been. And thats coming from me, who realised pretty quickly that Ashley was fucking us up.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ap...e-chris-hughton

''Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, is willing to sanction a summer spending spree to ensure survival in the Premier League, despite his reluctance to return to the club's high-spending past.

Ashley has invested £25m this season to help balance the books of a business that is losing £500,000 a week while in the Championship. However, the billionaire – who is not expected to put the club back up for sale in the summer, after two failed attempts to sell – will stress the need to be prudent to the manager, Chris Hughton.

Club officials estimate that promotion will increase Newcastle's income by around £50m or possibly as much as £60m, depending on attendances at St James' Park. Only around half of that will be used for player recruitment. The rest is needed to help restructure the club's finances after a testing 12 months and it is understood Ashley will take back some of the money he has loaned Newcastle this year.

Ashley and the club's managing director, Derek Llambias, believe £20m to £25m is a healthy budget for a club looking to consolidate its Premier League position.

"Prudent ambition" is the current key phrase at St James' Park, even while the city celebrates the return of top-flight football and survival will be the objective from August. Hughton feels he has the core of a squad which can compete in the Premier League but he will look to improve it where he can. While too good for the Championship, Newcastle still look like they will be vulnerable at the highest level and Hughton is keen to strengthen in defence as well as sign a proven goalscorer, which is where the majority of the transfer war chest will be spent.

The sale of players is anticipated, but Hughton has the full backing of Ashley and will continue as manager next season, a challenge "he has more than earned the right to have a crack at", according to the goalkeeper Steve Harper.

"It's going to be an interesting summer because there will be changes," Newcastle's Argentina international Jonas Gutiérrez said. "We have gone up with five games to go and I'm sure the manager and the owner will talk about what needs to be done in the summer and where the squad needs to be strengthened.

"Some players will leave, some will come in. The important thing is we have the time to make sure the right decisions are made. I want to stay. I'd like to play for a lot of years here at Newcastle. I love this club."

For Harper, Newcastle's longest serving player, the main emotion following promotion is relief that the scars of relegation can start to heal.

He said: "The memories from Villa Park last May when we were relegated are still pretty vivid, but this more than makes up for it. Last year was desperately disappointing but we're back up now. The mental scars are still there, of course. I'll never forget that, it's something as a player you can never forget. It's a motivation, I'm sure there's a lot of players in the dressing room who have used it as that to achieve what we have."

Newcastle secured promotion before their win against Sheffield United on Easter Monday and have switched their attention to winning the Championship title. They are six points clear of West Bromwich Albion with a game in hand, with five matches left to play.''

What are your thoughts? When I read 'spending spree' I assumed 40-50 mil, but will 20-25 mill do the trick?

Er, no he isn't.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ap...e-chris-hughton

''Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, is willing to sanction a summer spending spree to ensure survival in the Premier League, despite his reluctance to return to the club's high-spending past.

Ashley has invested £25m this season to help balance the books of a business that is losing £500,000 a week while in the Championship. However, the billionaire – who is not expected to put the club back up for sale in the summer, after two failed attempts to sell – will stress the need to be prudent to the manager, Chris Hughton.

Club officials estimate that promotion will increase Newcastle's income by around £50m or possibly as much as £60m, depending on attendances at St James' Park. Only around half of that will be used for player recruitment. The rest is needed to help restructure the club's finances after a testing 12 months and it is understood Ashley will take back some of the money he has loaned Newcastle this year.

Ashley and the club's managing director, Derek Llambias, believe £20m to £25m is a healthy budget for a club looking to consolidate its Premier League position.

"Prudent ambition" is the current key phrase at St James' Park, even while the city celebrates the return of top-flight football and survival will be the objective from August. Hughton feels he has the core of a squad which can compete in the Premier League but he will look to improve it where he can. While too good for the Championship, Newcastle still look like they will be vulnerable at the highest level and Hughton is keen to strengthen in defence as well as sign a proven goalscorer, which is where the majority of the transfer war chest will be spent.

The sale of players is anticipated, but Hughton has the full backing of Ashley and will continue as manager next season, a challenge "he has more than earned the right to have a crack at", according to the goalkeeper Steve Harper.

"It's going to be an interesting summer because there will be changes," Newcastle's Argentina international Jonas Gutiérrez said. "We have gone up with five games to go and I'm sure the manager and the owner will talk about what needs to be done in the summer and where the squad needs to be strengthened.

"Some players will leave, some will come in. The important thing is we have the time to make sure the right decisions are made. I want to stay. I'd like to play for a lot of years here at Newcastle. I love this club."

For Harper, Newcastle's longest serving player, the main emotion following promotion is relief that the scars of relegation can start to heal.

He said: "The memories from Villa Park last May when we were relegated are still pretty vivid, but this more than makes up for it. Last year was desperately disappointing but we're back up now. The mental scars are still there, of course. I'll never forget that, it's something as a player you can never forget. It's a motivation, I'm sure there's a lot of players in the dressing room who have used it as that to achieve what we have."

Newcastle secured promotion before their win against Sheffield United on Easter Monday and have switched their attention to winning the Championship title. They are six points clear of West Bromwich Albion with a game in hand, with five matches left to play.''

What are your thoughts? When I read 'spending spree' I assumed 40-50 mil, but will 20-25 mill do the trick?

whats happened since then ffs - surely they knew how bad the financial results were going to be for 08-09 and 09-10 ??

When I read 'spending spree' I assumed 40-50 mil, but will 20-25 mill do the trick?

If only you'd have known what was to come...

Bit naughty, making that quote look like I said it. I thought I had no recollection of posting that :(