Ashley to allow spending spree in summer

loonyTOON

If I was at all optimistic I'd be hoping that this was a case of them promising little, and then delivering slightly more than little.

Hughton is not one to talk a bit game, though I don't like his implication that supporters have grand ideas for next season.

This season should be about cementing ourselves back in the top flight. Realistically if we wanted to push for anythign above mid-table we'd need to largely gut the squad replacing just about all positions, with a ridiculous cost easily exceeding 100 million with massive wages accompanying. If that was done it would still be a very big gamble to assemble a new squad and throw them at the Premier League. The right thing to do is to keep the existing squad largely together, but add in some additional talent in our weakest areas.

Which is what will happen imo

Agreed.

Three year plan is what we should be looking at really.

Summer 2010...OUT: Butt, Pancrate, Hall and Best (£1mil)...IN: 1st choice RB, CM and CF + LB, LW and RW as cover = £25mil

- Aim: Staying up.

Summer 2011...OUT: Shola, Smith, Nolan and Lovenkrands (5mil??)...IN: CF x2, CM x2 + Few youngsters with potential = £30mil

- Aim: Mid table to top half (12th - 8th)

Summer 2012...OUT: Anyone aging...IN: 1st choice big hitting CF, Top quality CB and Top quality LW + RW = £50mil

- Aim: Top 6-7

Simples. :angry:

Aye £105mil over 3 years. Fuck me you need a good kick up the arse.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was at all optimistic I'd be hoping that this was a case of them promising little, and then delivering slightly more than little.

Hughton is not one to talk a bit game, though I don't like his implication that supporters have grand ideas for next season.

This season should be about cementing ourselves back in the top flight. Realistically if we wanted to push for anythign above mid-table we'd need to largely gut the squad replacing just about all positions, with a ridiculous cost easily exceeding 100 million with massive wages accompanying. If that was done it would still be a very big gamble to assemble a new squad and throw them at the Premier League. The right thing to do is to keep the existing squad largely together, but add in some additional talent in our weakest areas.

Agreed.

Almost everybody on here and another certain message board were harping on about needing a "5 year plan" [to guarantee success] when Mike Ashley took over because we had never had such a thing before despite being recognised as one of the countries biggest clubs.

We are now into Mike Ashley's 3rd year of this mythical "5 year plan"

Indeed we are Leazes but i dont give a fuck about that.

We went down and now we are back up again...fresh start.

Mistakes have been made and i hope this time lessons HAVE been learned.

A new plan NEEDS to be in place...steady progress is needed.....not a total 60mil blowout.

But it was a "plan".

What if he puts in place another "plan" that leads to another relegation ?

Football isn't about "plans", its reactive, and its about getting a manager who knows what he is doing and then the rest falls into place.

And before you and anybody else says anything, being the 5th best club in the country is hardly failure and should qualify as successful in football terms even though without a doubt you would like to win a trophy, even though some people for some reason seem to be trying to say that Portsmouth should have celebrated their FA Cup win worrying about the future of the club.

:angry:

But it was a "plan".

What if he puts in place another "plan" that leads to another relegation ?

Football isn't about "plans", its reactive, and its about getting a manager who knows what he is doing and then the rest falls into place.

Largely agree with this. It is very reactive, so you can't predict what will happen in 2 years let alone 5. A whole lot of changes can happen outside out influence (eg. Man City being bought) that may have a direct impact upon our team.

One of the keys to ongoing performance is stability at the club. Hopefully we can continue to establish that across this season whilst bringing in a number of new players who will supplement the existing team in some areas, and replace the existing side in others. Over a number years this could see the overall side change dramatically without having instability. This is what's required. Ultimately we should be a higher performing version of Everton. Their recruitment has been excellent, and in a few years time we should be in a position where we can comfortably outspend them. If we have some direction and the money is spent properly in a few years time we should be capable of challenging for Europe.

First steps first, lets strengthen in the area where we are most weak, then reassess in January.

One of my biggest hopes for whoever we sign this summer is that they have pace, which is more important than ever at the moment. Pacy full backs and midfielders were sorely lacking last season and was one of the main reasons we went down imo, even our best players were plodders by and large. This season it hasn't been as obvious due to the weakness of the league but it's certainly something that still needs addressing.

One of my biggest hopes for whoever we sign this summer is that they have pace, which is more important than ever at the moment. Pacy full backs and midfielders were sorely lacking last season and was one of the main reasons we went down imo, even our best players were plodders by and large. This season it hasn't been as obvious due to the weakness of the league but it's certainly something that still needs addressing.

Enrique, Gutierrez and Routledge are the only ones with notable pace. We have pace is good areas but i think pace at RB would balance things out on the wings.

We do genuinly need a bit of pace in central midfield but id say more pressing is the need for it upfront.

If we are to go with AC as the target man then we definitely need a jetheeled striker alongside him.

Agreed.

Summer 2010...OUT: Butt, Pancrate, Hall and Best (£1mil)...IN: 1st choice RB, CM and CF + LB, LW and RW as cover = £25mil

Summer 2011...OUT: Shola, Smith, Nolan and Lovenkrands (5mil??)...IN: CF x2, CM x2 + Few youngsters with potential = £30mil

Summer 2012...OUT: Anyone aging...IN: 1st choice big hitting CF, Top quality CB and Top quality LW + RW = £50mil

Simples. :D

Agreed.

Tbf 25mil this summer and more or less the same the summer after isnt too much to expect IF FMA has indeed learned from his mistakes and does infact want to have a go.

However after readin that back 50mil in the 3rd summer mite of been too much.

Agreed.

Tbf 25mil this summer and more or less the same the summer after isnt too much to expect IF FMA has indeed learned from his mistakes and does infact want to have a go.

£50mil over 3 summers is a bit much to expect in my honest opinion :naughty:

Agreed.

See thats from one extreme to another really.

If we are 1st of all to establish ourselves and stay in the PL after next season then 25mil needs to be spent.

Then if we are to progress up the table then another 25mil needs to be spent.

Futher to that if we are to get close to european football in 3 years then a minimum of 25mil would need to be spent again.

This...is only what i think SHOULD happen if we are to get anywhere close to where we were under KK and SBR......

FMA has the chance to right some wrongs and a good summer would go a long way towards that.

I fully expect him to sell up after next season though.

Agreed.

If we are 1st of all to establish ourselves and stay in the PL after next season then 25mil needs to be spent.

Futher to that if we are to get close to european football in 3 years then a minimum of 25mil would need to be spent again.

This...is only what i think SHOULD happen if we are to get anywhere close to where we were under KK and SBR......

FMA has the chance to right some wrongs and a good summer would go a long way towards that.

Presuming our transfer budget isn't fully dependant on the sale of players, despite what the papers are reporting.

I dont recall reading much if anything which suggested we had to sell to buy?

For all the likes of S.Taylor, Coloccini, Enrique, Gutierrez, Nolan, Smith, Barton and Carroll could all attract bids i dont think we have to or will sell any of them.

But would would like to think we would consider bids upto or around 3 mil for Smith, Nolan and Barton just to get the dead legs and heavy wages off the books.

R.Taylor 1.5mil and Best 1mil are the only two who i think will be sold in addition to the releases of Butt :angry:, Pancrate and Hall.

His track record does suggest he's liable to be making another profit in a transfer window, which requires the sale of players. The papers recently have been reporting that Ashley has confirmed a standard budget of twenty million, although this could be pure speculation.

Just my pessimistic view on the upcoming season really.

For all the likes of S.Taylor, Coloccini, Enrique, Gutierrez, Nolan, Smith, Barton and Carroll could all attract bids i dont think we have to or will sell any of them.

But would would like to think we would consider bids upto or around 3 mil for Smith, Nolan and Barton just to get the dead legs and heavy wages off the books.

R.Taylor 1.5mil and Best 1mil are the only two who i think will be sold in addition to the releases of Butt :angry:, Pancrate and Hall.

Considering the tight-lipped approach over the Carroll/Taylor affair, there could be a possibilty of Taylor leaving. After the season Enrique has had, then I'm positive a few clubs would look into the opportunity of signing him. I personally would be delighted if Smith was sold, but I can't see it happening.

Agreed.

That's what you think should happen, Mike probably has a whole different idea about the transfer market. Looking back at summer 08 under KK he did dip into his pocket a little bit.

Players In:

Jonas Gutierrez (RCD Mallorca - Newcastle Utd) Undisclosed Fee

Danny Guthrie (Liverpool - Newcastle Utd) Undisclosed Fee

Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna - Newcastle Utd) £10.3million

Ignacio Gonzalez (Valencia - Newcastle Utd) Loan Deal

Xisco (Deportivo La Coruna - Newcastle Utd) Undisclosed Fee

Players Out:

Peter Ramage (Newcastle Utd – QPR) Free Transfer

James Troisi (Released)

Stephen Carr (Released)

David Rozenhal (Newcastle Utd - SS Lazio) £2.9million

Emre Belozoglu (Newcastle Utd - Fenerbahce) Undisclosed Fee

Abdoulaye Faye (Newcastle Utd - Stoke City) £2,250,000

James Milner (Newcastle Utd - Aston Villa) £12million

Granted that Milner did give him a little back :outahere:. I'll expect him to spend about £10m and then the rest to be generated through the sales of players, hopefully Smith Ameobi, Raylor and fecking release Pancake and Butt to free up some wages! Only the fat man can answer these questions sadly.

Agreed.

That's what you think should happen, Mike probably has a whole different idea about the transfer market. Looking back at summer 08 under KK he did dip into his pocket a little bit.

Players In:

Jonas Gutierrez (RCD Mallorca - Newcastle Utd) Undisclosed Fee

Danny Guthrie (Liverpool - Newcastle Utd) Undisclosed Fee

Fabricio Coloccini (Deportivo La Coruna - Newcastle Utd) £10.3million

Ignacio Gonzalez (Valencia - Newcastle Utd) Loan Deal

Xisco (Deportivo La Coruna - Newcastle Utd) Undisclosed Fee

Players Out:

Peter Ramage (Newcastle Utd – QPR) Free Transfer

James Troisi (Released)

Stephen Carr (Released)

David Rozenhal (Newcastle Utd - SS Lazio) £2.9million

Emre Belozoglu (Newcastle Utd - Fenerbahce) Undisclosed Fee

Abdoulaye Faye (Newcastle Utd - Stoke City) £2,250,000

James Milner (Newcastle Utd - Aston Villa) £12million

Granted that Milner did give him a little back :outahere:. I'll expect him to spend about £10m and then the rest to be generated through the sales of players, hopefully Smith Ameobi, Raylor and fecking release Pancake and Butt to free up some wages! Only the fat man can answer these questions sadly.

Precisely my point, theres no point constructing a plan when we dont know Ashleys intentions, obviously I was regarding to the same transfer market which you've provided us with, which is relevant to the track record. The track record which consitutes of a profit acheived in every transfer window in the Premier Leauge.

Edited by Acid

In:

Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, free), Joey Barton (Man City, £5.8m), David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain, £2.9m), Geremi (Chelsea, free), Alan Smith (Manchester United, £6m), Claudio Cacapa (Lyon, free), Jose Enrique (Villareal, £6.3m), Habib Beye (Marseille, undisclosed), Abdoulaye Faye (Bolton, undisclosed).

Out:

Scott Parker (West Ham, £7m), Titus Bramble (Wigan, free), Antoine Sibierski (Wigan, free), Craig Moore (released), Olivier Bernard (released), Alan O’Brien (Hibernian, undisclosed), Pavel Srineck (released), Lee Clark (retired), Kirs Gate (released), Andy Carroll (Preston, loan), Kieron Dyer (West Ham, 6m), Paul Huntington (Leeds, undisclosed), Nolberto Solano (West Ham, undisclosed).

Summer 2007, again there's just no telling what Mike is going to do. I'd say all the players bought comes to around £30m (if predicting undisclosed fees) and we only brought in roughly £15-£20m. Summer 2009 we spent nothing at all. But to sum it all up Mike could give us anything from £0-£30m, either way I'm counting no chickens.

EDIT - And yes barring the first transfer window we had with Mike he has always walked away with a nice little bit of profit. I hope hes been saving that profit for a rainy season.

Edited by Kevin

In:

Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, free), Joey Barton (Man City, £5.8m), David Rozehnal (Paris St Germain, £2.9m), Geremi (Chelsea, free), Alan Smith (Manchester United, £6m), Claudio Cacapa (Lyon, free), Jose Enrique (Villareal, £6.3m), Habib Beye (Marseille, undisclosed), Abdoulaye Faye (Bolton, undisclosed).

Out:

Scott Parker (West Ham, £7m), Titus Bramble (Wigan, free), Antoine Sibierski (Wigan, free), Craig Moore (released), Olivier Bernard (released), Alan O’Brien (Hibernian, undisclosed), Pavel Srineck (released), Lee Clark (retired), Kirs Gate (released), Andy Carroll (Preston, loan), Kieron Dyer (West Ham, 6m), Paul Huntington (Leeds, undisclosed), Nolberto Solano (West Ham, undisclosed).

Summer 2007, again there's just no telling what Mike is going to do. I'd say all the players bought comes to around £30m (if predicting undisclosed fees) and we only brought in roughly £15-£20m. Summer 2009 we spent nothing at all. But to sum it all up Mike could give us anything from £0-£30m, either way I'm counting no chickens.

EDIT - And yes barring the first transfer window we had with Mike he has always walked away with a nice little bit of profit. I hope hes been saving that profit for a rainy season.

Thing is though when you look at the stark facts of that its still not very good, first transfer window as a new owner and you'd expect a good strong statement of intent a la Chelsea, Man City. I dont mean going out and spending £80m on one player but I do mean "here Mr Manager, get out and spend what you want to push us forward". Spending a net sum of about £10m while reducing the squad by 4 bodies and the wage bill accordingly isnt really showing that kind of determination.

When you look at that list of names though its like the RVI first team. Between them theyve seen more nurses and physios than the Royal College of Nursing.

I think Fat Sam has to take some of that responsibility. I remember thinking at the time we were changing from a fairly pacey team with flair (Nobby, Dyer) to a team of slow thugs.

I think Fat Sam has to take some of that responsibility. I remember thinking at the time we were changing from a fairly pacey team with flair (Nobby, Dyer) to a team of slow thugs.

The names on the list are Sammy boys although I've often wondered about Smith, wasnt he the first buy under Ashley? that and the fact he walked around with Smith 17 on his back made me wonder just whether he actually had some part in that purchase. I can imagine the first meeting.....

MA: So welcome, Sam, Im Mike, now who do you want to buy?

SA: Well theres a few names on my list, Geremi from Chelsea, Beye, Barton, Cacapa.

MA: Ok, we go out for Smith, Geremi, Beye....

SA: Sorry? Smith? I never said any Smith.

MA: Thing is, Ive already had the shirt made up in my size so well.....

Precisely my point, theres no point constructing a plan when we dont know Ashleys intentions, obviously I was regarding to the same transfer market which you've provided us with, which is relevant to the track record. The track record which consitutes of a profit acheived in every transfer window in the Premier Leauge.

That is what got us relegated.

Although if we were to get relegated again and FMA would receive another parachute payment, it is not rocket science to know that being in the PL brings more money in than any parachute payment.

Yes the pressure and expectancy is higher in the PL but i dont think many would tolerate another year in the wilderness.

So too save his arse, get a few more people on board and make his life a little bit easier you would think that this time, this summer, he will do things the way they should be.

I hope he has learned his mistakes, if he hasnt then he is an even bigger idiot than ever conceived before. A fool that doesnt deserve his millions.

This summer is make or break for him, he knows it, if he isnt willing to stump up whats needed (25mil) then he will put up for sale again.

I expect him to spend at most 10 million net in the summer. That is a marginbal improvement on his efforts in the past. Even though he's made similar mistakes before I think he'll try to survive on the cheap and will use Derek as a mouthpiece to blame the shifting economy of football as to why they couldn't 'responsibly' spend any more money. Will probably bring up Portsmouth as well.

If it's not going well I fancy he'll pony up a minor amount of cash to spend in the January window, and may consider sacking Hughton.

Although if we were to get relegated again and FMA would receive another parachute payment, it is not rocket science to know that being in the PL brings more money in than any parachute payment.

Yes the pressure and expectancy is higher in the PL but i dont think many would tolerate another year in the wilderness.

So too save his arse, get a few more people on board and make his life a little bit easier you would think that this time, this summer, he will do things the way they should be.

I hope he has learned his mistakes, if he hasnt then he is an even bigger idiot than ever conceived before. A fool that doesnt deserve his millions.

This summer is make or break for him, he knows it, if he isnt willing to stump up whats needed (25mil) then he will put up for sale again.

Mike Ashley created a three year plan which would represent the Arsenal model, this was when he took charge, now look at our current predicament, it's not rocket science to see that this 'plan' has been a miserable failure.

Don't agree, we had good enough players to keep us up, we were relegated because they were badly managed, earned too much and couldn't give a fuck about the club.

Don't agree, we had good enough players to keep us up, we were relegated because they were badly managed, earned too much and couldn't give a fuck about the club.

Well yes your right but losing Given, Milner and N'Zogbia and not getting sufficient replacements are what fucked us inho.