Wayne Routledge or Keith Gillespie

LeazesMag

I don't think it's so much a matter of that as needing a better CM who can win the ball a bit more, dominate possession and give Routledge good, early service. Simpson's more of a problem in terms of the right flank because he's shite going forward.

And defending!

Never thought Gillespie was that good for us, he was just fast and fortunate with the players he played alongside. He had a lot more poor games than he did ones like that Barca match. Nobby was by far the best right winger we had in the premier league.

That said Routledge has been very inconsistant (at best) in the premiership previously so we'll have to wait and see whether can continue the very promissing form he has shown so far.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's so much a matter of that as needing a better CM who can win the ball a bit more, dominate possession and give Routledge good, early service. Simpson's more of a problem in terms of the right flank because he's shite going forward.

And defending!

Never thought Gillespie was that good for us, he was just fast and fortunate with the players he played alongside. He had a lot more poor games than he did ones like that Barca match. Nobby was by far the best right winger we had in the premier league.

That said Routledge has been very inconsistant (at best) in the premiership previously so we'll have to wait and see whether can continue the very promissing form he has shown so far.

:lol:

And defending!

Probably my second favourite behind Beardo. Nobby was simply class. Not the fastest of players but was such an intelligent player with fantastic control. His early ball into the centre couldnt be matched. Also wasnt shy at tracking back, probably due to playing RB for Peru.

Fair point re Gillespie. But then I think a lot of the team was just well assembled by KK.

Guest Barrack Road

And defending!

Best foreign player we've ever had.

And defending!

:)

Best foreign player we've ever had.

I was smiling at the Simpson bit. You know, the bit I put in bold :lol:

Thinking about it a bit I'd say Routledge's main problem is more letting the ball run away from him or losing it a bit too easily....

Spot on IMO, first game I saw him play in I thought he was losing too many balls in his dribbles, and more often than not because he was playing the ball too far away from his feet making it easy for defenders to snuff him out.

It's a bit early to judge but on his performence so far I lean towards Gillesbie being the better of the two.

i'm quietly confident that routledge and jonas will do a job in the premiership. both have ability, pace and a point to prove after previous failures. i like that we're playing with two genuine wingers again now and that the defence seems solid. creativity and steel in centre mid, a decent striker and a right back should be the priorities in the summer transfer window.

...as if we needed any more proof that you're living in the past.

rubbish.

Nowt wrong with the question.

Apart from the fact that Gillespie has more or less just about played out his competitive career and Wayne Routledge is more than 10 years his junior, you're right.

rubbish.

Apart from the fact that Gillespie has more or less just about played out his competitive career and Wayne Routledge is more than 10 years his junior, you're right.

aye, so Routledge is also better than Bobby Mitchell

Daft shite.

rubbish.

aye, so Routledge is also better than Bobby Mitchell

Daft shite.

LeazesMag Play Book

#1 If you're not winning an argument quickly make up something that the person you're arguing with has never, and will never say to make it look like they're wrong.

#2 If #1 fails, play the race/foreigner card.

#3 If #2 fails or the person is not foreign, insinuate that they're more interested in balancing the books than seeing the team do well on the pitch.

Contrary to what you might think I don't have a problem with you, but when I see a silly comparison being made I'm going to call it out.

At any length I have to marvel at how and why you bothered to post to post something insinuating that my point was something that it so obviously wasn't. :lol: In case you seriously didn't understand (and I'm starting to have my doubts) I was pointing out that this thread is ridiculous and offers no value, apart from my current entertainment at you creating an argument for what can be nothing more than the mere sake of it (or perhaps because I'm a foreigner?).

i'm quietly confident that routledge and jonas will do a job in the premiership. both have ability, pace and a point to prove after previous failures. i like that we're playing with two genuine wingers again now and that the defence seems solid. creativity and steel in centre mid, a decent striker and a right back should be the priorities in the summer transfer window.

Spot on.

Spot on.

2 genuine wingers is OK if you have a quality team. Tactically, it leaves you playing too much of an open game and you can be sold short in central midfield. It works if you have superior players, but in the premiership we aren't going to have superior players like we have had this season.

My post about Routledge is because I basically think he lacks control, he loses control of the ball and he doesn't seem to be in control of what he is doing, and is OK but just not good enough ie like Franz Carr and Ruel Fox, rather than Keith Gillespie who in my opinion was a major player in Keegans team that didn't quite do it in 1996 for many reasons one of which was the loss of him in the team.

Don't mean to knock Routledge but football is ruthless and demands ruthless judgement as we should all be aware of now after the last few years.

Spot on.

2 genuine wingers is OK if you have a quality team. Tactically, it leaves you playing too much of an open game and you can be sold short in central midfield. It works if you have superior players, but in the premiership we aren't going to have superior players like we have had this season.

My post about Routledge is because I basically think he lacks control, he loses control of the ball and he doesn't seem to be in control of what he is doing, and is OK but just not good enough ie like Franz Carr and Ruel Fox, rather than Keith Gillespie who in my opinion was a major player in Keegans team that didn't quite do it in 1996 for many reasons one of which was the loss of him in the team.

Don't mean to knock Routledge but football is ruthless and demands ruthless judgement as we should all be aware of now after the last few years.

I'd completely agree with that analysis about Routledge like. My worry is that I think there's a reason the premiership clubs heven't really seemed to be interested in him.

I'd completely agree with that analysis about Routledge like. My worry is that I think there's a reason the premiership clubs heven't really seemed to be interested in him.

He's certainly got a point to prove at that age with so many clubs behind him. He'll do his all to impress but won't be afforded the same amount of time on the ball/space that he gets at the minute. He'll have an impact but I think we should be looking to bring in at least one additional wide player (preferably someone who can play down either flank) to provide some competition and a different option to Jonas and Routledge.

.............................. (or perhaps because I'm a foreigner?).

So are you a foreigner OzToonFan?

I say that with tongue in cheek as I think I can safely say that people who are born, or from, an English speaking country and have British ancestry, are not usually labelled 'foreigners' the way foreign speaking people from a foreign land are. :lol:

2 genuine wingers is OK if you have a quality team. Tactically, it leaves you playing too much of an open game and you can be sold short in central midfield. It works if you have superior players, ....................................................................

Not sure I can entirely agree with that opinion, maybe because I'm old school, really old school, when every team played with two genuine wingers in the 2-3-5 formation, albeit they weren't always quality players on the wings..

You flung in Bobby Mitchell earlier LeazesMag so may I just add that wor Jackie started out a a right winger and played there for about 3 seasons before he was moved to the middle. :lol:

I say that with tongue in cheek as I think I can safely say that people who are born, or from, an English speaking country and have British ancestry, are not usually labelled 'foreigners' the way foreign speaking people from a foreign land are. :lol:

Bred and Born in Australia.

Depends whether you consider that foreign. In terms of ancestry I'm 50% Hungarian (Hungarian born mother). My father was born in Australia but has ancestory on his fathers side that goes back to England and on his mothers side there's an interesting mix of Spanish and Scottish ancestory AFAIK.

Foreigner might not have been the correct term to use. Maybe out-of-towner.

Bred and Born in Australia.

Depends whether you consider that foreign. In terms of ancestry I'm 50% Hungarian (Hungarian born mother). My father was born in Australia but has ancestory on his fathers side that goes back to England and on his mothers side there's an interesting mix of Spanish and Scottish ancestory AFAIK.

Foreigner might not have been the correct term to use. Maybe out-of-towner.

more like fucking mongrol :)

more like fucking mongrol :)

I was going to say the same thing, except I would have spelt it correctly uneducated pommie twat :lol:

2 genuine wingers is OK if you have a quality team. Tactically, it leaves you playing too much of an open game and you can be sold short in central midfield. It works if you have superior players, ....................................................................

Not sure I can entirely agree with that opinion, maybe because I'm old school, really old school, when every team played with two genuine wingers in the 2-3-5 formation, albeit they weren't always quality players on the wings..

You flung in Bobby Mitchell earlier LeazesMag so may I just add that wor Jackie started out a a right winger and played there for about 3 seasons before he was moved to the middle. :lol:

there isn't much I don't know, and I certainly knew that.