Wayne Routledge or Keith Gillespie

LeazesMag

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to Ruel fox?

Routledge looks very good at this level, but he's never done it in the premiership. I'd love to be proven wrong. mind you this season we've had 2 average players wear our no 10 shirt.

Guest Barrack Road

People look back on Keith Gillespie with rose tinted glasses. You would think he played to the standard he did against Barca every week, when the truth is he was an average winger who's final ball was very very often shocking. His corners oh dear.

Routledge looked great at Palace and perhaps lost his way a bit but he's moved around so much he's never gained any momentum, hopefully he can gain that here.

A lot of wingers seem to suffer from the same problem of an inconsistent final ball - I think its a price you sometimes have to pay for their other attributes like scaring the opposition - Gillespie, Fox, Franz Carr and Routledge are all pretty similar in that respect.

I think I'd prefer more of a footballer like Sellars who wasted a pass a lot less often.

Thinking about it a bit I'd say Routledge's main problem is more letting the ball run away from him or losing it a bit too easily rather than his actual crossing.

Edited by NJS

Agree with Stevie in the main about Gillespie although his workrate was tremendous. He was a big miss for us in the 2nd half of that season as well.

Agree with Stevie in the main about Gillespie although his workrate was tremendous. He was a big miss for us in the 2nd half of that season as well.

I still think his injury was a huge factor in not winning the league - more so thtn others commonly trotted out.

I still think his injury was a huge factor in not winning the league - more so thtn others commonly trotted out.

Aye, and losing Derek Fazackerly to Blackburn at xmas isnt mentioned too often either, but for me we were never the same after he left.

Routledge needs to have space created for him to work in as he seems to be unable to either beat a man when being closely marked or is too small to out muscle opponents. Gaps appear in this league where they won't next season. I think the premier league clubs he's been at know this and have passed on him because of it. Shame, becuase he's got ability. Hopefully he'll prove me completely wrong next season.

The best crosser we've ever had was Alan Shearer.

Aye, was often said thats its a shame he couldn't get on the end of one of his own crosses.

I think with any winger you take the package good with bad. We've had some cracking wingers over the years but all of them came with weak points. I like Routledge and will be interesting to see how he does next season. Gillespie turned into a bit of a steal for £1M like.

I don't think it's so much a matter of that as needing a better CM who can win the ball a bit more, dominate possession and give Routledge good, early service. Simpson's more of a problem in terms of the right flank because he's shite going forward.