Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putting everything about Fat Mike's transfer practices/Hughton's lack of control over transfers aside, I don't believe a word that comes out of 'Arry's droopy gob so I'll believe it when I see it.

He's one to talk about non-sanctioned contact too!

Our model is the right one. We should be looking at quality players under 26 years old with reasonable wages.

There's a kid at Villa who's quality called Milner and another lad at Wigan called N'zogbia. Then there's this young fella at Spurs called Bassong...

<_<

Our model is the right one. We should be looking at quality players under 26 years old with reasonable wages.

There's a kid at Villa who's quality called Milner and another lad at Wigan called N'zogbia. Then there's this young fella at Spurs called Bassong...

<_<

I agree that to an extent, its a sound model. I just don't like how they have the bit in about the players having "potential sell-on value". It makes me feel as all purchases are going to be shipped out if we get a bid higher than what we bought them for.

Think he was taking the piss like.

I got that in the second part, but I thought the first part was semi-serious. Either way, my opinion still stands. Looking at players 26 and under is a fairly good model for building a team in the long run. I think you still need to bring in older, more experienced players, but investing in young players is a good idea, just look at Arsenal.

Aye, it's that simple. Thing is, that's what Ashley actually thought. Btw, I hope we are looking at a new RB because Simpson looks limited in the Championship. That's being kind as well.

Also younger players are easier to integrate into the side, older players come with baggage and egos generally. It was certainly a problem for us IMO.

I'm not saying we should only sign younger players btw but in itself it's clearly not a bad idea.

I might be getting whooshed here but how does buying young quality players constitute a workable plan for success in anyway? It's what every fucking club out there is trying to do man. You might as well say I think we should try and win some trophies. <_<

Think he was taking the piss like.

I got that in the second part, but I thought the first part was semi-serious. Either way, my opinion still stands. Looking at players 26 and under is a fairly good model for building a team in the long run. I think you still need to bring in older, more experienced players, but investing in young players is a good idea, just look at Arsenal.

I think the model is fine...if stuck to. It's just a shame we can take the piss out of it so easily. Not just in terms of who we've sold either, but who we've brought in. Pancrate's 30, as is Lovenkrands. Khizanishvili was only a year younger and Harewood was even older.

It's all talk, like everything else under Ashley. The only policy is we buy cheap and sell whenever a profit can be made.

The problem with the Ashley/Llambias version of the plan is that as soon as one of the young players delivers on their promise they're sold. There's not much of a future in that.

There are a few who clearly aren't worth holding on to in this league. There are even more whose abilities in the top division are debatable (Simpson for one, despite my sig).

I think a top class striker, a CM, and a RB are what we need in as minimum. CM is an interesting one as on paper we look pretty comfortable there as it is. However I think Barton is too unreliable, I doubt Nolan will be able to deliver consistently, and Guthrie I like but I'd rather have him as a squad player if I made my way. They might be important members of the dressing room but playing the likes of Smith and Butt will just be asking for trouble.

edit; Do I think we'll get the 3 (minimum) - 6/7 (maximum) players that we need in? I honestly doubt it. Time for Ashley to prove me wrong.

Edited by Tecato

Simpson is shit.

He's a canny defender in this league but you need more than that as a PL full-back.

I really don't think he is. Not strong enough and offers fuck all going forward.

Simpson is shit.

He's a canny defender in this league but you need more than that as a PL full-back.

I really don't think he is. Not strong enough and offers fuck all going forward.

Purely in terms of his defensive ability I think it's harsh to say he's not decent in respect of playing in the Championship. I agree about going forward though which is what I was getting at before about just being able to defend not being enough. I thought he looked canny when he was sweeping alongside Taylor, iirc, earlier in the season. Even there though you'd have Coloccini and Kadar ahead of him. He's shite on the ball though, it's like a hot potato when he has it. Also, a bit like Ryan Taylor, he makes forward runs but you can tell he doesn't really want the ball a lot of the time. I think we're in agreement he's not good enough anyway.

I might be getting whooshed here but how does buying young quality players constitute a workable plan for success in anyway? It's what every fucking club out there is trying to do man. You might as well say I think we should try and win some trophies. <_<

Yes but some people still seem to have a problem with it. We had a dressing room full of egos and wages that were way too high for the results we were getting. I know it's easy to have a pop at Ashley but this policy is clearly an improvement on the latter years of the Shepherd era.

Arsenal, ManU, Barcelona constantly have good young players coming through who they either keep hold of or sell on for a profit. I don't think we did it enough.

As I say, it remains to be seen what happens but I think it's the right approach for where we are and where we'd got to.

Yes but some people still seem to have a problem with it. We had a dressing room full of egos and wages that were way too high for the results we were getting. I know it's easy to have a pop at Ashley but this policy is clearly an improvement on the latter years of the Shepherd era.

Arsenal, ManU, Barcelona constantly have good young players coming through who they either keep hold of or sell on for a profit. I don't think we did it enough.

As I say, it remains to be seen what happens but I think it's the right approach for where we are and where we'd got to.

Every high earner at the club was either signed by the current regime or has had a new contract under the current regime though.