BBC's coverage of the Championship....

scotty84

I was watching the Championship highlights on the BBC website during my lunch break, and it got me wondering what people's opinions have been on it after a season in the fizzy pop league.

My initial response to this is that i've enjoyed having highlights to every match easily available on the site, all be it a day or so after the game, and the fact we've had a lot of main coverage on The Football League show. This show has also opened my eyes to watching more football in the lower leagues, as i used to hate 'The Championship' on ITV, everything about it felt cheap and budget to watch.

My only fault is this; what is up with some of the BBC's camera coverage of matches in this divison? At times if feels like its filmed from a handycam by someone with an obscured view in the crowd. Take this weeks QPR highlights for example...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...v_1/8646620.stm

its horrible at the best of times, the camera is all over the shot. Yet if this was a normal telivised game, the image would be panned across the pitch normally and no silly zooming during play. And this isn't just at smaller grounds, this has been the case loads during the season for SJP highlights. I know they Might not have all the smaller camera's in the ground there nearer the pitch etc, but surely the main camera and position should be used to record games if there for BBC use?

mostly crap. if you're not the featured game you get just the goals and little else. the beeb do it better than itv mind. one thing about motd is they guarantee even the games at the end a decent highlights package, unlike when itv had the highlights and three quarters of the show was dedicated to "the big four"

shit, FLS was rubbish, utter second rate

as or coverage, they stopped bothering to show us (unquestionably the biggest draw in the CCC) once it became clear we werent going to implode

This is beyond picky like, but.. along with the cameras, the mic quality seems to be fucking shit in the CCC aswell. They distort like fuck at our ground when we score and the crowd celebrate, that never seemed to happen in the Prem, so what's all that about?

I noticed this before we went into the division mind, if I was half asleep with SSN on and they were doing highlights I could tell by the celebration noise if they'd gone beyond the top league.

Guest Barrack Road
mostly crap. if you're not the featured game you get just the goals and little else. the beeb do it better than itv mind. one thing about motd is they guarantee even the games at the end a decent highlights package, unlike when itv had the highlights and three quarters of the show was dedicated to "the big four"

Aye but we were the big four :o we were naal.

As I've said before, the BBC completely lost interest in us when it became obvious we weren't going to fail.

I was going to post that. They stopped showing us as one of their live games when it became clear we weren't going to be humiliated.

Still miles better that itv football coverage mind.

I don't know about anyone else, but I noticed that any chance/half chance the opposition had was usually shown where a lot of our good chances weren't. The other team was just as good and a bit unfortunate not to get a draw if you saw the highlights from most of our games on BBC. Even the intro is patronising showing mascots and Joe Public doing daft dances. Plus Claridge is a cock and the split arse who read out the e-mails from lonely Watford/Charlton fans was again patronising and a waste of time. Thank God for the fast forward button.

I nearly forgot about the bitter Smoggy and his 'funny off the wall reports', Jeff Winter's brother I think he is. Truly a walking advert for contraception.

Still, probably better than being on ITV and Roger Tames commentating.

As I've said before, the BBC completely lost interest in us when it became obvious we weren't going to fail.

I was going to post that. They stopped showing us as one of their live games when it became clear we weren't going to be humiliated.

Still miles better that itv football coverage mind.

They were only allowed to show so many live games for each team, I'm sure I heard at the start of the season.

I never watched the highlight show at night. Only ever fast forwarded to the toon goals.

Guest alex
better than the papers I'd say...............

Aye, for the 5th best supported league in Europe or whatver it doesn't get much of a look in. You could probably make a similar argument about two-thirds of the PL though, albeit they're covered a bit more.

I will not miss sitting up till 12.20 am to see 75 seconds of highlights.

11.15 pm and 2 minutes will be loads better.

Edited by trophyshy

Can't really speak to FLS or any of the content besides the actual matches, but from over here, I actually got to see way more NUFC matches this season than I did last year on FSC via an apparent deal between the BBC and ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360).

The camerawork and overall production values are notably lower than PL (assuming I'm seeing what you're seeing), but it's an NUFC match that I could watch. That was enough for me.