What mood are you in and why?

catmag

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: I was at the Freeman on Monday for an MRI on my defective inner ears.

You probably just tipped over into the door without Renton's help then tbf

42 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye, I guess so. Crazy to even complain about my job tbh as I've molded it into pretty much what I wanted, relying on becoming indispensible through basic competence in a sea of incompetence and the classic loafing techniques pioneered by Gemmill and finessed by Fish. We'll see where this goes at a higher level I guess. :)

The absolute cheek of you giving me grief this morning for calling out lazy bastards :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The absolute cheek of you giving me grief this morning for calling out lazy bastards :lol: 

Well you see, there's a difference to acknowledging you are yourself a lazy bastard (albeit a productive one in my case), rather than tarring all of millenials/gen Z as such. 👍

Just now, Renton said:

Well you see, there's a difference to acknowledging you are yourself a lazy bastard (albeit a productive one in my case), rather than tarring all of millenials/gen Z as such. 👍

Which I didn't (just a minority of them ;) )

Sorry to hear your bad news btw 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Aye, I guess so. Crazy to even complain about my job tbh as I've molded it into pretty much what I wanted, relying on becoming indispensible through basic competence in a sea of incompetence and the classic loafing techniques pioneered by Gemmill and finessed by Fish. We'll see where this goes at a higher level I guess. :)

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit all over the shop to be honest. Just got back from the final scan before the birth next Friday and the consultant says asked if we can pull the planned c-section forward a few days because the baby's growth has slowed a little. I asked how accurate the measurements are and she said within 10%. Now, the kid has been measuring big (~90th percentile) and all but one of the scans show a pretty straight line, so if that one reading was over by 5% and this one is down by 5% you'd have a nice straight line and no slowing of growth recorded at all. I asked what the risk is in keeping to the existing date and she said there's a very small risk of still birth, but bring it forward and that lessens it. So that's that I guess.

We have no real support system here but we need childcare for Little Fish. Her folks have passed, mine are 200 odd miles away and in their mid-to-late 70s, he doesn't really know my sisters (I've done well to keep them the fuck away from him) and hers live in London or Leeds. Only a few mates nearby and we'd need to ask them to take leave so that they're here for drop offs and pick ups, and there's no guarantee they can do that at such late notice. 

Now, this would be a pain in the arse, but manageable. The thing that's got me frustrated is that, two days ago Mrs Fish got a call asking if we could bring forward the birth because they were particularly busy on that day. Call me fucking silly but I'm barely containing my cynicism and if they've used the threat of still birth to ease their workload I'll be raging.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

A bit all over the shop to be honest. Just got back from the final scan before the birth next Friday and the consultant says asked if we can pull the planned c-section forward a few days because the baby's growth has slowed a little. I asked how accurate the measurements are and she said within 10%. Now, the kid has been measuring big (~90th percentile) and all but one of the scans show a pretty straight line, so if that one reading was over by 5% and this one is down by 5% you'd have a nice straight line and no slowing of growth recorded at all. I asked what the risk is in keeping to the existing date and she said there's a very small risk of still birth, but bring it forward and that lessens it. So that's that I guess.

We have no real support system here but we need childcare for Little Fish. Her folks have passed, mine are 200 odd miles away and in their mid-to-late 70s, he doesn't really know my sisters (I've done well to keep them the fuck away from him) and hers live in London or Leeds. Only a few mates nearby and we'd need to ask them to take leave so that they're here for drop offs and pick ups, and there's no guarantee they can do that at such late notice. 

Now, this would be a pain in the arse, but manageable. The thing that's got me frustrated is that, two days ago Mrs Fish got a call asking if we could bring forward the birth because they were particularly busy on that day. Call me fucking silly but I'm barely containing my cynicism and if they've used the threat of still birth to ease their workload I'll be raging.

Honestly, I think that is extremely unlikely, I really don't think any individual HC worker would do this let alone a whole team being complicit. Fingers crossed your baby is born healthy, I'm sure (s)he will be and the medics know best. 

It's tough not having childcare options and this will be exponentially so with two. It's not twice as hard, more like four times as hard. See you on the other side in 18 years or so. 👍

• Like 1

I wouldn’t worry too much about the growth thing, a friend recently was in the exact same situation and they brought the c section forward and the baby was fine. A little on the light side obviously but has been 100% since.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Honestly, I think that is extremely unlikely, I really don't think any individual HC worker would do this let alone a whole team being complicit. Fingers crossed your baby is born healthy, I'm sure (s)he will be and the medics know best. 

It's tough not having childcare options and this will be exponentially so with two. It's not twice as hard, more like four times as hard. See you on the other side in 18 years or so. 👍

I know I'm being daft, but it's just a jarring coincidence and now a stressful period until childcare is found. Could really have done without this sudden change towards the end of the pregnancy. Does her (and my) anxiety levels no fucking good at all. 

Just now, ewerk said:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the growth thing, a friend recently was in the exact same situation and they brought the c section forward and the baby was fine. A little on the light side obviously but has been 100% since.

This one won't be light, they're already about 8lbs. We breed big Fishies. Eldest was ~10lbs. I was 9lbs 13.

Good luck with it all btw. I'm confused, has pulling forward the birtdate affected the childcare situation or was it always going to be like that but now it suddenly seems imminent?

Just now, ewerk said:

The Fish family:

IMG_1348.jpeg

Mrs Fish would want me to say that our first was a c-section. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Good luck with it all btw. I'm confused, has pulling forward the birtdate affected the childcare situation or was it always going to be like that but now it suddenly seems imminent?

Yeah, we had childcare lined up for Friday and Saturday. But midweek poses more problems, obviously. Which will be exacerbated if we need to stay in for more than one night.

Edited by The Fish

Just now, Gemmill said:

Right got ya. Well good luck with it, old chap.

Which MCU first name have we picked out for this one?

I like Mjolnir, because only those who are worthy can pick them up. And in the dead of night, while I am clearly not going to be worthy, the Mrs will be. :good: 

I like Terry for a boy, so when he writes his name on a form with surname first, whoever is reading can do a wildly offensive imitation of a Chinese person deciding what to watch: "Watson Terry"

Genuinely stuck on names, we don't know the sex yet but we're down to a choice of two for each. I've vetoed some absolute horror shows from her though. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Mrs Fish would want me to say that our first was a c-section. 

It would have to have been c-section at 10lbs. She'd be in a wheelchair now if it wasn't :lol:

Good luck with the bairn though, it'll turn out to be worry over nothing I'm sure and I can't see them saying anything other than that which is what's best for the baby and your wife.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I like Mjolnir, because only those who are worthy can pick them up. And in the dead of night, while I am clearly not going to be worthy, the Mrs will be. :good: 

I like Terry for a boy, so when he writes his name on a form with surname first, whoever is reading can do a wildly offensive imitation of a Chinese person deciding what to watch: "Watson Terry"

Genuinely stuck on names, we don't know the sex yet but we're down to a choice of two for each. I've vetoed some absolute horror shows from her though. 

I've always like Murgatroid, either sex. You can thank me later. 

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

I've always like Murgatroid, either sex. You can thank me later. 

Heavens to 

• Haha 2

Names don’t really matter for 2nd children, as from about 18months onwards you’ll only ever refer to them as 

“YOU LITTLE BASTARD!!!”

Good luck with the birth, and remember, you both wanted another kid, :lol:

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Names don’t really matter for 2nd children, as from about 18months onwards you’ll only ever refer to them as 

“YOU LITTLE BASTARD!!!”

Good luck with the birth, and remember, you both wanted another kid, :lol:

If they haven't had an argument over who's idea it was to even have a second kid within 2 years of their birth then they are definitely going to be stupid and have a third :lol:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

If they haven't had an argument over who's idea it was to even have a second kid within 2 years of their birth then they are definitely going to be stupid and have a third :lol:

I made it absolutely clear that 2 was enough. 

One main character, one spare in case the first one breaks.  :lol:

15 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I'm definitely open to the idea of getting neutered on the same day as the second comes into the world. Under no circumstances do I want a 3rd.

A puppy, for sure, but a person? God no.

• Haha 1