Hughton expects transfer kitty

2bias

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton is confident Mike Ashley will back him in the transfer market this summer.

Having secured promotion back into the Premier League at the first time of asking, the Magpies know they must reinforce if they are to remain among England's elite.

A list of possible targets has already been drawn up, with Hughton aware of the areas he needs to strengthen.

Recruitment will obviously come at a cost, but the Newcastle boss believes club owner Ashley, who has come in for criticism in the past, will dig deep to ensure suitable additions are made.

"I was backed in the January transfer window and I will be bringing in players this summer, but we don't expect to be making wholesale changes," Hughton told the Daily Express.

Spirit

"We've just gone through a good season where the squad have developed a momentum and spirit.

"I'm keen not to disrupt and disband everything we've done but I'm aware we're going into a better division and need to bring in the right players for what will be a tough season."

Hughton also believes that Newcastle can hold their own back in the top tier, with the gap between the top two divisions having narrowed over recent years.

"We've definitely been buoyed by what Birmingham have done, and Wolves to a lesser degree," he said, with the Midlands duo having avoided the drop in 2009/10.

"They have coped very well in the Premier League."

Interesting to hear Chris is confident of getting players. We will see i guess.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We've just gone through a good season where the squad have developed a momentum and spirit.

"I'm keen not to disrupt and disband everything we've done."

I totally agree like. I'm not chomping at the bit to see daft money spent at all.

"I'm keen not to disrupt and disband everything we've done."

I totally agree like. I'm not chomping at the bit to see daft money spent at all.

Going bookmark this for when your cursing kevin nolan and co for being outclassed in the premier league again :o

tbh i'm in a mood of "don't really care" i think we're in for the normal season of, no changes, we get caught out by lack of talent and the fact houghton will be out of his depth, they'll try make some sort of change in january which will be too late and we'll go down again.

Normal? How often has that happened like?

I'm not keen on wholesale changes for the sake of it. But I'd like to know, of the teams that went up and stayed up, how many changes did they make to their Championship team? And how much money did they spend that wasn't made available due to the sale of players?

we need to sign around 5 players with a bit of top flight nous about them if we want to avoid another relegation battle.

there are question marks over whether our right back, all of our centre midfielders and all of our strikers can perform at the highest level.

we don't have much depth out on the flanks either

I think Hughton has a good eye for players from who he signed in Jan. ( Apart from Best ) I reckon he is more likely to be looking at potential Premiership players in the Championship though. IMO

I'd like to know, of the teams that went up and stayed up, how many changes did they make to their Championship team? And how much money did they spend that wasn't made available due to the sale of players?

bubblee.jpg

Edited by Happy Face

Striker, Creativity in the Centre and a right back are my priorities and I think w can get the latter for little or on a loan. The rumblings of Cleverly and Wilshere on loan could be great although I think that's stalling the inevitable. If they perform brilliantly their parent clubs will look to have them back come the end of the season and we'll be back in the same position. If they don't perform well we'll not have solved the problem and have to buy anyway. However, they could provide a stay of execution.

O'Hara is a player with the quality and the graft that would sit him well in our side. He's been making noise about wanting first team and I think we could get him cheap as Spurs look to throw money at their problem areas and will probably need a better player than O'Hara if they're to cement their place and keep pace with Citeh.

I'd like to know, of the teams that went up and stayed up, how many changes did they make to their Championship team? And how much money did they spend that wasn't made available due to the sale of players?

bubblem.jpg

So an outlay of £14m, while not a guarantee, is a reasonable requirement if you want to stay up. However, that's just outlay, it doesn't show how much those teams made from sales, nor how many players were brought in. (I'm not dismissing your lovely graph, I'm just saying)

bubblem.jpg

So an outlay of £14m, while not a guarantee, is a reasonable requirement if you want to stay up. However, that's just outlay, it doesn't show how much those teams made from sales, nor how many players were brought in. (I'm not dismissing your lovely graph, I'm just saying)

Aye.

But Ashley doesn't mind if we get relegated.

His 5 year plan is to position the club such that relegation wouldn't mean we run at a loss.

People seemed to take from the statement that he planned to stay up and break even. The latter part of that is the only one they stipulated though.

Striker, Creativity in the Centre and a right back are my priorities and I think w can get the latter for little or on a loan. The rumblings of Cleverly and Wilshere on loan could be great although I think that's stalling the inevitable. If they perform brilliantly their parent clubs will look to have them back come the end of the season and we'll be back in the same position. If they don't perform well we'll not have solved the problem and have to buy anyway. However, they could provide a stay of execution.

O'Hara is a player with the quality and the graft that would sit him well in our side. He's been making noise about wanting first team and I think we could get him cheap as Spurs look to throw money at their problem areas and will probably need a better player than O'Hara if they're to cement their place and keep pace with Citeh.

O'Hara would be a good signing. Noises from him in the last couple days though are he wants one more season at Spurs. Be interesting to see if we can take anyone from Pompy? They got a couple good players. If we had a bit of cash could go for Boateng or Belhadj? Although he is getting on now Finnan might be worth a punt for a season as cover.

We went down when good players played poorly. Now we have half decent players playing well. Is that enough? I'm not sure. I definitely think we're weak in the three positions I mention, and I think other areas will need to be fleshed out for fear of leaving the squad lightweight. However, I think the team that we're taking to the Premiership is stronger than most who go up so I'm not sure we have to spend the same sums as other teams have.

I'm just worried we'll weaken areas in which we feel strong, in order to fund poorly scouted players for the really weak areas

We went down when good players played poorly. Now we have half decent players playing well. Is that enough? I'm not sure. I definitely think we're weak in the three positions I mention, and I think other areas will need to be fleshed out for fear of leaving the squad lightweight. However, I think the team that we're taking to the Premiership is stronger than most who go up so I'm not sure we have to spend the same sums as other teams have.

I'm just worried we'll weaken areas in which we feel strong, in order to fund poorly scouted players for the really weak areas

Team spirit is all well and good but when you're getting tonked week in week out, that spirit wont last

Shola is one of our starting strikers, how many premier league teams would you take him ahead of what they have for example, do that for every position and we look a lot worse off.

Harsh on Shola IYAM.

Look at the top scorer charts for last year. Apart from Bent, no club in the bottom half has a player that scored more than 10.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statisti...,,12306,00.html

It's well within Shola's ability to score 10 if he plays more than 30 games.

Shola is one of our starting strikers, how many premier league teams would you take him ahead of what they have for example, do that for every position and we look a lot worse off.

Harsh on Shola IYAM.

Look at the top scorer charts for last year. Apart from Bent, no club in the bottom half has a player that scored more than 10.

When did he last play 30 PL games though? It's rare that he's ever had a good run in the side without getting injured. At least in recent memory.

Harsh on Shola IYAM.

When did he last play 30 PL games though? It's rare that he's ever had a good run in the side without getting injured. At least in recent memory.

Aye, not in 5 years.

Poor lad.

I'll be interested to see who Hughton believes his first choice strikers are. Carroll and Shola? Lovenkrands?

I reckon that Carroll will be more likely to get 10 goals in the Prem than the other two, but I'd be much happier if we had better options.

Don't think Finnan is the right move. He certainly doesn't fit the purported transfer plan. Neither under 28, nor does he have a resale value.

he got 11 in 21 in the championship,

That's the kind of harshness I mean.

He scored 10 goals in 11 starts in the championship.

11 goals in 12 starts in all competitions.

Edited by Happy Face