Guardian lies

Regarding the article, lazy piss poor quoting that I don't expect an apology about despite the fact we deserve one.

As for Asian kids in football, when I play at Westgate you see groups of superb asian lads playing..bizarre how we don't see more make it.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't recall any 'protest' against Cole but I do remember he allegedly decided to live in Crook which was not the most cosmopolitan place.

There were some idiots handing out racist flyers when Gullit was appointed manager though. But then again so what? They got short shrift from 99% of the fans.

I remember being handed NF leaflets outside SJP in the late 80s when I was a kid, and the disgraceful deafening monkey noises when we played Spurs at the start of the 88 season...we don't deny any of that..but this is just a blatant fucking lie to try and make a point.

Has anybody ever heard anything back from the Guardian in cases like this? or do they just ignore everyone?

an initial response:

Thank you very much for your email, we are looking into this - our first step has to be to talk to the writer and the person who gave the quote.

all good wishes

Helen Hodgson

Assistant Readers' editor

From a regular on Skunkers;

I have just finished speaking to this Simon Taylor. To be fair to him he seemed a really nice bloke and couldn't be apologetic enough.

I firstly asked in to be specific about the 'protests outside the ground'. I asked him if he had witnessed any organised demonstration. He said he hadn't but, said he had got the feeling of an 'undercurrent'. I personally cannot remember any undercurrent other than anticipation of seeing our new record signing. He was adamant however that there was, to paraphrase 'something in the air'.

I challenged him on the fact the Cole did not get a hat-trick on his debut. He acknowledged that was correct and that he had been wrong.

I mentioned that any NF demonstrations outside SJP were about a decade earlier. That they had been dealt with and were certainly no worse and definitely less frequent than at Chelsea with Paul Cannoville. He agreed.

He praised Newcastle fans for embracing Cole as one of our own and for eradicating racism from St. James Park. Saying that he had nothing but admiration for us.

I mentioned that we are sick of the likes of Rob Beasley, Rod Liddle and Mick Dennis taking cheap shots at us, although those are relative superficial. This article is potentially serious and for a lot of fans it is the time to take a stand against the press. He said that Chelsea had there problems with those mentioned as well, but that his comments were not intended to come across as anything bit praise for us. I said I hadn't interpreted them as praise, neither had anybody else up here. I told him that NUFC.com were up in arms about it, and that I thought some people were not going to let it go lightly, that some are going to ask for an apology from him, Chelsea and the paper. Also that there had been complaints to NUFC and the Ombudsman.

He said his next call would be to NUFC to apologise.

Edited by Paully

Fuck calling NUFC, get your apology in the same form as the original article - in your newspaper!!

As a season-ticket holder back then I can safely say there was no evidence of 'something in the air' or 'undercurrent' arising from signing Cole. He may well be alluding to the shit Tony Cunningham had to endure but that was because he was fucking shit rather than anything of a racist element. It certainly was no worse than the abuse Rob McDonald and Frank Pingel endured.

And lets not forget - NUFC, the first English club to embrace a Brazilian. Course we were a 'racist' club. :wub:

This bloke Taylor is a fucking idiot.... and a clueless one at that!!

Fuck calling NUFC, get your apology in the same form as the original article - in your newspaper!!

As a season-ticket holder back then I can safely say there was no evidence of 'something in the air' or 'undercurrent' arising from signing Cole. He may well be alluding to the shit Tony Cunningham had to endure but that was because he was fucking shit rather than anything of a racist element. It certainly was no worse than the abuse Rob McDonald and Frank Pingel endured.

And lets not forget - NUFC, the first English club to embrace a Brazilian. Course we were a 'racist' club. :wub:

Think you're overreacting a bit to this personally Craig. It's just lazy journalism rather than anything malicious imo.

Think you're overreacting a bit to this personally Craig. It's just lazy journalism rather than anything malicious imo.

Tbf it's a bit worse than lazy journalism-it's demonstrably 'made up'. Which when it's alleging widespread racism is pretty appalling.

Tbf it's a bit worse than lazy journalism-it's demonstrably 'made up'. Which when it's alleging widespread racism is pretty appalling.

There has been an amendment published at the end of the article now. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/may...h-asian-chelsea

There has been an amendment published at the end of the article now. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/may...h-asian-chelsea

Good start. Be interesting to see what they go on to offer by way of 'clarification'. At the very least it demands an apology for the more limited charge of completely shit journalism.

The thing is even if you ignore the Cole crap, to write an article on Asian footballers' failure to make it without mentioning Chopra just adds to the laziness/shitness view.

Either the author and Taylor are unaware of Chopra or his background or they decided not to include him as it spoilt the dig at Newcastle. The former is lazy, the second would be a bigger crime than including the Cole lies.

Agreed.

This article was amended on 26 May 2010 to remove a quote saying that there were protests outside the Newcastle ground when Andy Cole made his debut there in 1993, and that the player scored a hat-trick that day. A clarification covering the facts, and missing context, behind the quote will be published in the Guardian shortly.

Be an interesting read.

Call it lazy journalism if you want but it strikes me as strange that the lies were made up about the most northerly high profile club in England.

Its an entrenched view held by the southern would-be intelligentsia that we are all northern monkeys and we are obviously as racist as we are stupid.

I was there for Andy Coles home debut and there was nothing 'in the air' - what a load of shit - he was warmly welcomed as was ruel fox, sir les and all of the black players we signed. Even Franz carr was cheered and he was crap.

of course the NF days are an embarrassment to us all but that was way before the Keegan managerial era - these comments should be withdrawn and followed by a full apology

Again with no denial about shite in the 80s I'd point out that another couple of things always shown as examples need a context - there was a game against West Ham in 87 I think where George Parris was booed after a vicious "accidental" head butt on Andy Thomas which caused him to have to leave the field - it's always shown as "classic" football racism without the context.

The same applies to booing of Gary Bennet and Howard Gayle on NYD 1985 - both were mainly "normal" abuse for players being sent off for disgraceful tackles thoughh admittedley there were some monkey chants as well.

Lots of OTT analysis in this thread.

Basically, its just a shite paper read by leftie loonies, that has printed a load of bollocks, as usual.

Basically, its just a shite paper read by leftie loonies, that has printed a load of bollocks, as usual.

You have a brilliant mind. :wub:

Again with no denial about shite in the 80s I'd point out that another couple of things always shown as examples need a context - there was a game against West Ham in 87 I think where George Parris was booed after a vicious "accidental" head butt on Andy Thomas which caused him to have to leave the field - it's always shown as "classic" football racism without the context.

That was the game in '86 on the telly. Goddard was injured, not Thomas. But the fact remained that the challenge was a fucking disgrace.

The only thing that was 'in the air' that day was a heady mix of excitement and anticipation at seeing what the new star striker could do as the focus of KK's team. I was excited even seeing Cole on the steps in one of the old blue asics drill tops.

It's not like he was our first ever black player. I don't even think he'll have been the first that season, was Carr still there?

Carr was definitely there at the start of that season - was pushed out of the side when we signed Rob Lee but IIRC, he was first choice on the right wing for the first handful of games.

As for the feelings surrounding the signing of Cole - I remember my very first reaction was that we'd finally broken the £1m mark in signing a player (ludicrous when you consider a little over 40 months later we spent 15 times that on Alan Shearer!). My second concious reaction was after his first goal against Notts County. We were cruising 3-0 with about 10 minutes to go when he scored at the gallowgate end. My Dad was at pains to point out that there was hardly any draw-back of his leg for the shot yet he'd almost burst the net.

Knew then that he was a tad special and so, going by their reaction did the rest of the crowd :wub:

Day after we signed Sellars and Robinson too IIRC.

You have a brilliant mind. :wub:

Why beat about the bush. It's a shite paper, and attempted to plug it's loony left agenda. Nowt else to discuss.

Of course, your posts over the years have epitomised common sense and intelligence, shame you are rarely proved correct........

Carr was definitely there at the start of that season - was pushed out of the side when we signed Rob Lee but IIRC, he was first choice on the right wing for the first handful of games.

As for the feelings surrounding the signing of Cole - I remember my very first reaction was that we'd finally broken the £1m mark in signing a player (ludicrous when you consider a little over 40 months later we spent 15 times that on Alan Shearer!). My second concious reaction was after his first goal against Notts County. We were cruising 3-0 with about 10 minutes to go when he scored at the gallowgate end. My Dad was at pains to point out that there was hardly any draw-back of his leg for the shot yet he'd almost burst the net.

Knew then that he was a tad special and so, going by their reaction did the rest of the crowd :wub:

Yes, that ring a bell.

My first recollection of him was when visiting a friend who lived in Bristol in '92. We went to a game at Ashton Gate and Cole was playing up front (with Wayne Allison I think, a big unit). I said there and then he'd be something special. Needless to say, I was elated when Keegan signed him a year later.

You have a brilliant mind. :D

Why beat about the bush. It's a shite paper, and attempted to plug it's loony left agenda. Nowt else to discuss.

Of course, your posts over the years have epitomised common sense and intelligence, shame you are rarely proved correct........

;);)

We've all had our share of howlers Leazes.... :wub:

It's not a paper I read myself but rather than let them write what they want, someone's actually bothered to put them right. Good on them I say.

Maybe I was just young and naive but I never once considered the kids colour. It seemed a massive amount to spend at the time on someone I'd never heard of and I remember for the first few matches he would seem to miss a load of chances before he would get his inevitable goal.

When I first started going to games in the 80's I'm pretty sure the completely useless Tony Cunningham was our only black player who played on any sort of regular basis and I can't really ever remember him getting any abuse (certainly not on any large scale basis). I do have a vague memory of bananas being thrown at opposition player on the odd occasision (though nothing compared to the mars bars thrown at Gazza on his return) but I don't think we've ever had a massive problem here compared to other clubs. Maybe it's because we don't have a particularly large black community here and as such the fuckwits weren't wound up here like they were elsewhere. Or maybe I was just too young to understand!