Who's going to win the World Cup?

Guest Barrack Road

WHO  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the exception of a few key players I think this is the most mediocre England side in a while. If anything happens to Rooney England are fucked. The defence and goal keepers in particular wouldn't inspire me with confidence either. Yes, England have a great manager, but that won't make up for the deficits on the pitch imo. Expect the usual hype and disappointment, I'm just looking forward to seeing some good games no matter who's playing.

;)

Yeah but if Lennon and SWp were Brazilian or Portugese you'd all be jizzing over them.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of a few key players I think this is the most mediocre England side in a while. If anything happens to Rooney England are fucked. The defence and goal keepers in particular wouldn't inspire me with confidence either. Yes, England have a great manager, but that won't make up for the deficits on the pitch imo. Expect the usual hype and disappointment, I'm just looking forward to seeing some good games no matter who's playing.

;)

Yeah but if Lennon and SWp were Brazilian or Portugese you'd all be jizzing over them.

I very much doubt it.

:icon_lol:

I very much doubt it.

You'd have knocked out about 6 U Tubes already an no mistake. ;)

Anyway its not about talent, winning these short knockout competitions is about organisation, belief, tactics and a chunk of luck. We have the best manager there for a change. I expect big things from England.

I've took a Stevie approach and believe that this is the 'best' chance England will win it. Due to most of their current 'stars' who will be nearing, or actually retired when the next World Cup arrives.

Come to think of it, I believe England will win the World Cup.

Edited by Acid

I'll begrudgingly and half heartedly offer my support to Argentina if England go out. Purely because I'd love to say we have a world cup winner in our squad! The events of 86 were before my birth so I can probably get away with it :angry:

Would love to think we could win it... but it's going to need a serious fuck up from Spain in order to do so. The strength they have in depth - particularly in midfield is nothing short of awesome. It's theirs to lose IMO.

After that I think you're looking at Brazil and England as possiblities with France, Holland, Germany, Italy and the Argentines close behind.

There'll be at least one surprise team as well - always seems to be in the WC:

1990 - Cameroon

1994 - Bulgaria

2002 - South Korea

etc.

Would love to think we could win it... but it's going to need a serious fuck up from Spain in order to do so. The strength they have in depth - particularly in midfield is nothing short of awesome. It's theirs to lose IMO.

After that I think you're looking at Brazil and England as possiblities with France, Holland, Germany, Italy and the Argentines close behind.

1990 - Cameroon

1994 - Bulgaria

2002 - South Korea

etc.

Ivory Coast could do well if Drogbar is deemed fit enough to play.

Guest The Three Lions

1990 - Cameroon

1994 - Bulgaria

2002 - South Korea

etc.

Spain are the best team, no doubt about it, but I think Portugal will be a very very big test for them in the Second Round, if they were to go out then I wouldn't be astonished.

Brazil are my tips for the tops. I think this Brazil are far stronger defensively this time round, I think they'll not be the razzle dazzle team, but I think they're going to be far more effective.

I think the pressure of actually being favourites for the competition will prey a lot harder on Spain's team than the reputation for choking did.

England just haven't a resolute defence, nor a free-scoring attack.

I just don't know how we are going to beat teams like Spain, Brazil or even Germany. They're just better than us.

Outscored everyone else in Europe in qualifying like.

Brazil are my tips for the tops. I think this Brazil are far stronger defensively this time round, I think they'll not be the razzle dazzle team, but I think they're going to be far more effective.

I think the pressure of actually being favourites for the competition will prey a lot harder on Spain's team than the reputation for choking did.

I just don't know how we are going to beat teams like Spain, Brazil or even Germany. They're just better than us.

Aye I saw that, totally surprised me. I'd wonder if England can replicate that at the finals, but I'm happy to say I was wrong about not scoring that many goals. As a disclaimer I will say that our run in wasn't the hardest, but I think that's clutching at straws really.

Still, Semis is my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

1990 - Cameroon

1994 - Bulgaria

2002 - South Korea

etc.

Ivory Coast could do well if Drogbar is deemed fit enough to play.

The Ivorians get a lot of respect to be fair.

Guest The Three Lions

Aye I saw that, totally surprised me. I'd wonder if England can replicate that at the finals, but I'm happy to say I was wrong about not scoring that many goals. As a disclaimer I will say that our run in wasn't the hardest, but I think that's clutching at straws really.

Still, Semis is my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Lets face it you've not got a clue. "Don't score many goals", we put 9 past a team ranked (then) 7th in the world, and the run in not being the hardest, we had WC Quarter Finalists Ukraine, and a team many tipped to win Euro 2008 in our group. To me you're just posting because you're bored, you don't have an opinion so you make one up, how can you form opinions when you have no knowledge????

:angry: Fucking Hell Stevie man, get over yourself.

I honestly think the team England are putting out is weaker than previous squads, I stand by that. I didnn't think of this squad as free-scoring, but I'm happy to admit that this perception was off the mark on the basis of the qualifying campaign. I am happy to agree with the fact that the Brazil team aren't as good as they've been, the Italians aren't the force they traditionally are, neither are the Germans, this Spanish side is superb and I'm happy to agree there's always a surprise. I just don't think we're the world beaters that you're claiming.

But instead of you being moderate in your replies you resort (again) to petulant insults and name calling.

You don't like me, I get it, I'm not your biggest fan either, the difference is? I don't call you a cunt when I disagree with you.

I wonder, if we go out in the Semis, as I've been saying, will you apologise to me? Will you fuck, instead you'll launch into another boring tirade against me or somebody else who's raised your hackles.

Trying to look at it objectively (in one sense at least), since we won it in '66 vs Germany theres only been 5 other teams competed in the final tie. Italy, Holland, Argentina, France and Brazil. So in 'modern football' (since 1970) thats only six teams in total. You have to look at those first before the likes of Spain and Portugal as common sense dictates you must.

Of the six I'd say Brazil, France and Italy are worse than the last time around. Germany are equally poor. That should be quite encouraging but I'd say we were probably also worse in terms of playing personnel than the last world cup. The counterbalance to that is hopefully the FA's choice of manager. I actually don't mind the way this is stacking up at all. I think there should be less hysteria about how good our players are (we're not and we never have been good enough to win it on foreign soil (you always hear soundbites from our players after a tournament has concluded saying how much technically better x, y and z were than us) and a bit more hope and emphasis placed on Capello's strategising over a short knock-out competition, because that may well be where our biggest strength lies.

Guest The Three Lions
Compare our 1998 WC strikers vs our 2010 WC strikers :angry:

Rooney will be a one man striker in some games, and Steven Gerrard will be the one playing off him from deep. Rooney is better than Shearer in my view, as much as people will want to slap me for that, and Gerrard in that role is better than Sheringham. Ferdinand will clearly be better than Crouch in some peoples eyes, but the big mans 21 international goals to Les' 5 suggest Peter has had a better impact at international level.

Rooney will be a one man striker in some games, and Steven Gerrard will be the one playing off him from deep. Rooney is better than Shearer in my view, as much as people will want to slap me for that, and Gerrard in that role is better than Sheringham. Ferdinand will clearly be better than Crouch in some peoples eyes, but the big mans 21 international goals to Les' 5 suggest Peter has had a better impact at international level.

Agree tbh about Roonney/Shearer but not at all about Ferdinand/Crouch. Les didnt get that many chances to play for England given the fact we didnt qualify for 94 and didnt need to for 96 and he was behind Shearer and Sheringham as a partnership.

Guest The Three Lions

Agree tbh about Roonney/Shearer but not at all about Ferdinand/Crouch. Les didnt get that many chances to play for England given the fact we didnt qualify for 94 and didnt need to for 96 and he was behind Shearer and Sheringham as a partnership.

I know Les is better but Crouch is a good striker, he's as good as Zigic who everyone creams themselves over. Good point about 94 and 96 with Ferdinand, I think Ian Wright had amazin ability too and didn't get anywhere near as many caps as his talents meritted.

Edited by The Three Lions

I know Les is better but Crouch is a good striker, he's as good as Zigic who everyone creams themselves over. Good point about 94 and 96 with Ferdinand, I think Ian Wright had amazin ability too and didn't get anywhere near as many caps as his talents meritted.

Dont get me wrong, i think Crouch is a decent player but his role in our current team is far from clear if we assume Rooney starts each match. I reckon Ferdinand would have been a better foil for Rooney.