England v Germany

Park Life

The numbers of FOREIGN PLAYERS for Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are 70,4%, 67,7%, 86,7% and 77,8% respectively.

This is the damning indictment for me.

The best 'English represented' clubs in the Premier League are Spurs and Man City and both of those are considered some way off the pace.

English (and by that I mean home-grown) football talent has gone way off the boil ever since they disbanded with the foreign player limitations in the European competitions.

There is some light at the end of the tunnel.

"Football's world governing body today voted in favour of the "six-plus-five" rule, which would put a limit on the number of foreign players each team could field.

Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, has said he hopes the controversial rule will be in place by the 2012-13 season. His vision appears to be a step closer following the overwhelming backing at Fifa's annual congress in Sydney, Australia. The rule would limit every team to only five foreign players in their starting XI.

The Football Association have confirmed they voted in favour of discussing Fifa's six-plus-five rule proposal.

"Bringing through more high-quality English players in the future is an absolute priority for the FA," an FA spokesman said. "One of our reservations has always been that the 'six-plus-five' rule appears to contravene European law and we welcome further exploration of its legality. "

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So serene was England's dominance that at no point did you find yourself howling at the pitch of your lungs the following; FOR FUCK'S SAKE, YOU PACELESS, ARROGANT, AGENT-COSSETTED, OVER-INDULGED, CULTURELESS, WAG-WHIPPED, FRECKLED, EARPLUGGED, SO-BORING-IN-INTERVIEWS-ON-FUCKING-FOOTBALL-FOCUS-THEY-HAVE-TO-FAST-CUT-TO-PHOTOS-OF -YOUR-HANDS-AND-FLIP-FROM-COLOUR-TO-BLACK-AND-WHITE, GOLDEN SHOWER OF A FUCKING NON-GENERATION, WILL YOU STOP PASSING THE BALL AROUND LIKE A) IT'S A FUCKING BLACK ROUND BOMB WITH A BURNING FUSE , THE LIKE OF WHICH YOU ONLY GET IN THE BEANO OR THE BATMAN FILM WITH ADAM FUCKING WEST, OR :icon_lol: IT'S POSSIBLE TO CATCH SOME WEIRD STRAIN OF FOOT-AIDS FROM A FUCKING FOOTBALL! :icon_lol:

Yeah.. Freckles!!! :icon_lol:

:lol:

Getting back to our glorious press btw, who allegedly love to report things praise-worthy...

Not an ounce of trouble from our fans out there despite the shit that's been served up - in fact, not an ounce of trouble what-so-ever. So much for all this "there'll be trouble in SA" shite peddled by the likes of Alan Brazil.

Yet not a comment in our wonderful national press about it. If our fans had gone on the rampage last night you can bet your bottom dollar it'd have got equal billing alongside the football.

The numbers of FOREIGN PLAYERS for Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are 70,4%, 67,7%, 86,7% and 77,8% respectively.

The best 'English represented' clubs in the Premier League are Spurs and Man City and both of those are considered some way off the pace.

English (and by that I mean home-grown) football talent has gone way off the boil ever since they disbanded with the foreign player limitations in the European competitions.

Plus none of our players have experience playing in another country.

True but then the same could be said about the Germans.

The spine of the team that played yesterday Cole, Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney have all been regular top perfromers in champions league sides for the last 5 seasons, the rest come from teams who have come close to champions league football bar one or two exceptions (James + Upson). There's no team where every starting player comes from a top club-with the exception of Spain to some extent.

Brasil have players playing in Greece and Turkey in their starting 11, Argentina have a Newcastle player for gods sake and a keeper playing for a mid table dutch side etc

"Football's world governing body today voted in favour of the "six-plus-five" rule, which would put a limit on the number of foreign players each team could field.

Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, has said he hopes the controversial rule will be in place by the 2012-13 season. His vision appears to be a step closer following the overwhelming backing at Fifa's annual congress in Sydney, Australia. The rule would limit every team to only five foreign players in their starting XI.

The Football Association have confirmed they voted in favour of discussing Fifa's six-plus-five rule proposal.

"Bringing through more high-quality English players in the future is an absolute priority for the FA," an FA spokesman said. "One of our reservations has always been that the 'six-plus-five' rule appears to contravene European law and we welcome further exploration of its legality. "

I bet Arsene Wenger's loving this idea... :lol:

What's classed as a 'foreign' player BTW - surely that should include Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and EIRE??

The spine of the team that played yesterday Cole, Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney have all been regular top perfromers in champions league sides for the last 5 seasons, the rest come from teams who have come close to champions league football bar one or two exceptions (James + Upson). There's no team where every starting player comes from a top club-with the exception of Spain to some extent.

Brasil have players playing in Greece and Turkey in their starting 11, Argentina have a Newcastle player for gods sake and a keeper playing for a mid table dutch side etc

Yeah but we can't play football.

I bet Arsene Wenger's loving this idea... :lol:

What's classed as a 'foreign' player BTW - surely that should include Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and EIRE??

Non English ie qualifies for another FA for international competition.

There has to be a foreign player rule ffs! No point in having some of the best coaching set ups in the world if we're just bringing through European and African players at Arsenal, Chelsea etc...Arsenal Youth squad had 2 Eng players last time I looked. Wenger has been at arsenal a decade and we only have Cole and Walcott to show for it.

Edited by Park Life

There has to be a foreign player rule ffs! No point in having some of the best coaching set ups in the world if we're just bringing through European and African players at Arsenal, Chelsea etc...Arsenal Youth squad had 2 Eng players last time I looked. Wenger has been at arsenal a decade and we only have Cole and Walcott to show for it.

That's a load of guff, the arsenal youth squad as well as their reserves are littered with English players, they never get through in the end because they're simply not good enough. Chelsea's youth squad would be a far better target, they won the cup last season with only one englishmen in the youth teams starting 11 IIRC.

Getting back to our glorious press btw, who allegedly love to report things praise-worthy...

Not an ounce of trouble from our fans out there despite the shit that's been served up - in fact, not an ounce of trouble what-so-ever. So much for all this "there'll be trouble in SA" shite peddled by the likes of Alan Brazil.

Yet not a comment in our wonderful national press about it. If our fans had gone on the rampage last night you can bet your bottom dollar it'd have got equal billing alongside the football.

It's been on SSN quite a bit, but I've not got a paper today tbf

I think you're missing my point to some extent. Granted those (the spine) are playing at the top of their gameand have been for the past 5 seasons or so but where is our diversity? 15-20 years ago we had a nucleus of a side but we had plenty of resources to call upon should it be required.

Think of the strikers available around the time of Italia 90 - first choice was obviously Lineker and Beardsley but as well as that we had the likes of Tony Cottee, Alan Smith (no, not that one), Steve Bull, Les Ferdinand, Ian Wright to name but a few.

That's a load of guff, the arsenal youth squad as well as their reserves are littered with English players, they never get through in the end because they're simply not good enough. Chelsea's youth squad would be a far better target, they won the cup last season with only one englishmen in the youth teams starting 11 IIRC.

You're right. But will they make it into the first team, will they fuck!! :D

You're right. But will they make it into the first team, will they fuck!! :D

I agree, but who's fault is that? If Wenger suddenly starts playing a load of shite Englishmen Arsenal will finish outside the top ten and he'll be out of a job. Brining in this rule will just mean that shit English players will get more game time, and that can only go so far in terms of improving a players ability.

Wilshere, Gibbs, Rodwell have potential but they need regular club games first.

There has to be a rule change so Eng players learn to rely on themselves and read games and do all that stuff the imported talent is doing for them. Otherwise Eng will NEVER WIN THE WC.

I think you're missing my point to some extent. Granted those (the spine) are playing at the top of their gameand have been for the past 5 seasons or so but where is our diversity? 15-20 years ago we had a nucleus of a side but we had plenty of resources to call upon should it be required.

Think of the strikers available around the time of Italia 90 - first choice was obviously Lineker and Beardsley but as well as that we had the likes of Tony Cottee, Alan Smith (no, not that one), Steve Bull, Les Ferdinand, Ian Wright to name but a few.

I know, it was the same in euro 96, some of the strikers who were left out of the squad were fantastic and you only have to look at the likes of Le Tissier/Ferdinand who won fuck all caps for the country.

At the same time though, I think people have been far too quick to pour scorn over the current squad, I honestly believe this squad of players were right to be aiming to get into the semis as player for player only Spain, Argentina and maybe Brasil are better. The likes of Holland and Germany are inferior overall but are better organised and play as a team. I really think a lot of the blame lies with Capello for what happened yesterday.

Foreign footballer cap not illegal says report

By Geoff Meade, PA

Thursday, 26 February 2009

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is determined to see the 6+5 rule in place by the start of the 2012-13 season

GETTY IMAGES

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is determined to see the 6+5 rule in place by the start of the 2012-13 season

* Photos enlarge

sponsored links:

Controversial plans by football's world governing body to limit the number of foreign players do not breach EU rules, an independent report declared today.

Fifa's so-called "6+5" rule has been overwhelmingly approved by 155 of the organisation's member nations, but dismissed as illegal by the European Commission and most EU governments because they say it amounts to discrimination at work and a restriction on the free movement of workers.

Now the Institute for European Affairs (INEA) - commissioned by Fifa itself to study the issue - claims the idea of restricting foreign players in league games does not fall foul of EU rules on free movement of workers.

Related articles

Guest The Three Lions

I know, it was the same in euro 96, some of the strikers who were left out of the squad were fantastic and you only have to look at the likes of Le Tissier/Ferdinand who won fuck all caps for the country.

At the same time though, I think people have been far too quick to pour scorn over the current squad, I honestly believe this squad of players were right to be aiming to get into the semis as player for player only Spain, Argentina and maybe Brasil are better. The likes of Holland and Germany are inferior overall but are better organised and play as a team. I really think a lot of the blame lies with Capello for what happened yesterday.

Correct on both points. Heskey for Defoe when we need a goal :D 4fs.

Wilshere, Gibbs, Rodwell have potential but they need regular club games first.

In a nutshell.

And they will get games eventually, either at their current clubs (in the case of Rodwell most likely) or in the case of someone like Gibbs, at a mid table club when he eventually gives up trying to dislodge Clichy from the Arsenal side which is basically what happened with Upson. Simply playing a lot of games won't turn them into world beaters though as Upson evidenced yesterday.

Arsenal 23/27 85%

Bolton 19/23 83%

Chelsea 17/23 74%

Inter 26/35 74

Fulham 16/22 73%

Liverpool 22/31 71%

Nurnberg 19/27 70%

Blackburn 19/28 68%

Reading 19/28 68%

Percentage of Foreign Players * Percentage of Foreign Players in Top 4 *

Italy 174/581 30% Germany 44/92 48%

France 175/513 34% Netherlands 39/99 39%