Android Apps

Wavey Davey

So, let's reflect on what's agreed to be mint....

Newsrob - Best news feed

Doggcatcher - Best Podcast feed

Dolphin - Best Browser

Onavo - Best to keep track of how quickly you're using your 500MB. Nice graphs and that.

Pingit - Instant bank transfers to your mates using their mobile number only.

Dropbox - Best file storage & sharing

Evernote - Best note taking & sharing

ESPN Goals - All the Premier league golas before MOTD is on

Teamviewer - Best to control your home pc via wifi

Whatsapp - best for group messaging

..and what's interesting if not compulsory...

Ringdroid - Best ringtone manager

Vidtrim - Best video editor

CardioTrain - Best integrated music trainer (running cycling etc.)

tv24 - best tv guide

WE7 - Best tailored radio

Go Launcher - Best themes and widgets

gStings - best guitar tuner

Little Photo - Best photo manipulation

Color Splash - do the black and white photo with a drop of color thing.

GIFboom - Create gifs from your photos.

What have I missed?

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Twicca best twitter app.

Google Currents is canny for news.

And you can get Google Music Player with free online storage of 20,000 songs if you sign in on your computer through a proxy to sign up for it. Then it works like iTunes match - uploads all your music and you don't need it on your phone.

Gonna maintain the OP with all the recommends that appear in here....

Tools

Advanced Task Killer - Stop all those apps that run in the background and kill your battery

AndroidLost - control/find a lost/distant phone

Cloud Print - with a compatible printer you can print from anywhere

Dolphin - Best Browser

Dropbox - Best file storage & sharing

Egg Timer - Boil the perfect egg!

Evernote - Best note taking & sharing

Go Launcher - Superb suite of standard apps (SMS, Dialer etc.), themes and Widgets.

gStings - best guitar tuner

Handcent - for texts

JuiceDefender - Stop all those apps that run in the background and kill your battery

Lookout - Find your phone via GPS when lost

Lottery Results - up to the second lottery results

Onavo - Best to keep track of how quickly you're using your 500MB. Nice graphs and that.

Pingit - Instant bank transfers to your mates using their mobile number only.

Plex - media platform that runs on Macs, PCs and Linux that is capable of organizing your media so that it can be viewed by any Plex Client

Skype - Video conference calls

SMS Popup - New messages appear on your locked phone screen. No need to navigate to them.

speed test - Check how fast your wifi is

Swype - sliding keyboard rather than tap typing

Subcard - Get points when buying subways...for free subways

Sun Surveyor - Sun, Sunrise & Sunset information for your location for any Date & Time!

Tapatalk - If you use several forums, manage them all from this one app.

Teamviewer - Best to control your home pc via wifi

Titanium Backup - Backup your phone to allow restoration.

Timeriffic - auto control the volume for notifications, ringer and vibrate.

tumblr - blog hosting

Translate - Speak or type for a translation into most languages

tv24 - best tv guide

Twicca - Well regarded alternative Twitter App

Whatsapp - best for group messaging

Zeebox - social tv guide

TV and Music

Doggcatcher - Best Podcast feed

doubleTwist - "iTunes for Android"

Grooveshark - Online music player, milions of tracks

Mixzing - Advanced media player. Identifies your songs, allows you to tag, displays lyrics, mood player etc.

Podkicker - Podcast subscriber/player

Poweramp - Play audio from your phone

Ringdroid - Edit audio

Shuffletone - When one ringtone isn't enough

Soundhound - play/sing a song at your phone to have it identified

Spotify - Online music player, milions of tracks

tunewiki - shows the lyrics in time with any song you're playing

VLC Player - play audio from your phone

WE7 - Radio tailored to your taste

Winamp - Play audio from your phone

Iplayer - Watch BBC shows

Lovefilm - watch films and TV

Netflix - watch films and TV

Sky Go - Watch your Sky TV channels

TV Now - Massive Library of UK and US shows to watch

Video & Camera

Aurasma - Point your camera and see animations interacting with the environment on screen

Color Splash - do the black and white photo with a drop of color thing.

GIFboom - Create gifs from your photos.

Instagram - Photo sharing social media

Little Photo - Best photo manipulation

Moboplayer - Watch any of your videos on a phone without conversion, anytime and anywhere.

Photogrid - combine multiple photos into a single grid.

Picsart - All-in-One Picture Editor & photo art community

pixlr-o-matic - add retro effects to photos

quickpic - Photo/video library app

Rockplayer - almost all formats media player with a lot of functions

Songify - Speak into your phone and your voice is autotuned into a song

Vidtrim - Best video editor

Reading

Guardian Anywhere

Newsrob - Best news feed

Viz profanisaurus

Football

ESPN Goals - All the Premier league golas before MOTD is on

Sky Sports News - News reports and videos

Games

Another World

Blast Monkeys

Draw Free

Hambo

Homerun Battle

Moonchaser

New Soccer Star

Pocket Soccer

runfootball

Shoot The Apple

Song Pop

Stardunk

Temple Run

Yoo Ninja

I am now cheers.

Struggle to get it to open like.....but it's brilliant for finding old texts. Always hated that you can't search old texts, this is perfick for that....as well as getting pop up notifications of texts at work without sitting conspicuously playing with your phone.

• 3 months later...

The latest edition of Google's mobile operating system is officially Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, and it's arriving with a slew of tricks up its sleeves.

Multiple users

Ideal if you own an Android tablet -- Android 4.2 introduces multiple users, so you can have different profiles, homescreens, backgrounds and app selections for different people. You can switch between user profiles without having to log out and back in.

This feature is something iPad owners have been crying out for, so it's interesting to see Android get the jump on Apple. It's only going to be available on tablets for now.

Wireless display

You can now share your smart phone's screen with that of an HD telly over Wi-Fi, so long as you've got a wireless display adaptor to plug into your gogglebox. Anything that's on your screen will be displayed, so this could come in handy for big-screen gaming, or more everyday things like watching movies.

Photo Sphere camera

Android 4.2 comes with a new camera feature, called Photo Sphere, which is designed for taking 360-degree photos. If you're having trouble imagining that, it's basically a photo mode that turns you into a human Google Street view camera.

The big G has set up a site where you can check out other people's panoramic efforts -- expect to see Android fans rotating slowly on the spot very soon. The panoramas you create can be navigated by dragging around on the screen, and can be uploaded to Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Search and Google+ Local.

Gesture Typing

Those familiar with SwiftKey will already know how this feature works -- you drag your digit along the Android keyboard, moving your finger from one key to the next without letting it leave the screen.

Using evil magic algorithms, the keyboard figures out what you're trying to say, meaning you don't even have to input spaces. I'm looking forward to testing out this new feature.

Expandable notifications

With Android 4.2, when you tap on a notification in the notification bar, it'll expand slightly and give you some options. For example, if the notification is for an event in the calendar, you can send an email to everyone who's down to attend.

Those are the most intriguing new features -- also look out for weather reports, movie times and train schedules in Google Now. The first Jelly Bean 4.2 devices will be the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 10, which are both due to launch in the UK on 13 November.

I might go for a nexus 4

280 notes, sim free....less than half the equivalent iPhone which is 600.

Went down the buy outright route myself a few years ago and *touchwood* without any accidents or muggings must have saved a few quid . Which provider do you use out of interest ? GiffGaff myself - 10 beans a month, rising to 12 in November fo all that unlimited innernet shit .

Nice one for updating the apps list btw !

Apple now playing catch up on tablets too.

:lol: Did someone from Apple shit in your lunch box at some point?

winning hardware specs is important but only one piece of the total tablet experience. Android is narrowing the gap but iOS is still leading on the content and applications race, which is a big component of the end-user's purchase decision," said Rhoda Alexander, an analyst at IHS-iSuppli.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57542228-94/googles-nexus-10-goes-for-the-ipads-jugular/

The new Nexus 4 at 279 quid looks an absolute bargain too.

Only downside is they aren't gonna be 4G compatible.

Initially that put me off, but looking at the packages available it seems they've totally ballsed up 4g anyway, whichever phone you have, because there is no unlimited data package.

500mb of data is £36 a month, so the massive benefit of being able to stream high quality uninterrupted video to your phone will be strangled once you've watched 2 episodes of a tv show.

Packages then range up to £56 for a maximum of 8Gb, so CT would get one series of Breaking bad out of that.

In terms of quantity of apps on their respective App stores Apple can boast more, but in terms of quality I don't know of any app on Itunes that i wish I could get on Android. My impression is that it's all the shitty little self developed games or wallpaper packs that no-one keeps on their phone for more than a few days that make up the numbers. Which apps are android sorely missing?

Contentwise, on the devices themselves, 3 of the features above are brand new and very interesting/desireable features I've not seen anywhere else, 2 of them standardise what were among the most popular functions only previously available in 3rd party apps on android. Did IOS6 include any comparable functionality improvement? I don't think replacing the map function with a poorer one, improving the existing voice control or improving the camera can be classed in the same league as the innovation the android announcement promises.

In terms of quantity of apps on their respective App stores Apple can boast more, but in terms of quality I don't know of any app on Itunes that i wish I could get on Android. My impression is that it's all the shitty little self developed games or wallpaper packs that no-one keeps on their phone for more than a few days that make up the numbers. Which apps are android sorely missing?

Contentwise, on the devices themselves, 3 of the features above are brand new and very interesting/desireable features I've not seen anywhere else, 2 of them standardise what were among the most popular functions only previously available in 3rd party apps on android. Did IOS6 include any comparable functionality improvement? I don't think replacing the map function with a poorer one, improving the existing voice control or improving the camera can be classed in the same league as the innovation the android announcement promises.

Before you wank yourself silly, can i just clarify which of those were the most popular functions on Android? Wireless display is probably still behind as apple tv is excellent and its new, as is multiple users (which sounds good, never been into sharing my devices, Charlotte doesnt bother with the grown up apps just goes for the ones she likes), dont know much about the iphone 5 but the adverts have got some 360 degree photo thing going on, so i guess you mean gesture typing or notifications? You spends thousands of hours (not dollars) backward engineering a competitors product, spruce up the specs, make it better and cheaper and the most popular app is a personal organiser that the device wont be used for? Interesting.

I dont know enough about the android app market, i just posted the opinion of an expert who was highlighting the role of the specs. Perhaps google's search algorithms will ensure that article doesnt feature on the first page by the end of the week/day. Its just the Samsung marketing strategy, tech specs are simple messages that the consumer can understand quickly. You either use them to compete or you dont. Samsung does. Given their scandalous behaviour towards online journalists/bloggers, its a message they are successful at pushing.

That article man.

"Oh look Google have released a tablet that wipes the floor with the iPad and is a canny bit cheaper. Oh well, specs aren't everything."

I dont think the article will remain in view for long, google will downgrade it soon enough.

Before you wank yourself silly, can i just clarify which of those were the most popular functions on Android? Wireless display is probably still behind as apple tv is excellent and its new, as is multiple users (which sounds good, never been into sharing my devices, Charlotte doesnt bother with the grown up apps just goes for the ones she likes), dont know much about the iphone 5 but the adverts have got some 360 degree photo thing going on, so i guess you mean gesture typing or notifications? You spends thousands of hours (not dollars) backward engineering a competitors product, spruce up the specs, make it better and cheaper and the most popular app is a personal organiser that the device wont be used for? Interesting.

Aye them two. I didn't say "the most popular", just among the most popular.

Not sure what you mean by saying the device isn't used as a personal organiser. Google calender is just about my most used feature, it's class. But that's not the existing app i was thinking of. It reads to me like an improvement on SMS popup, an app which allows you to read, reply, close or delete texts without navigating to the message app. Being able to do that and other tasks from the notification bar is a logical and timesaving improvement.

I thought Apple TV was just a device that lets you play what you have on Itunes (or the cloud) through your telly? The Android feature as descibed sounds to me like it will instantly display your phone screen on your TV. So you can have a big screen look at your calender, doccos or whatever, as well as playing video from any source (youtube/iplayer etc.) not just Itunes.

The multiple user feature is undoubtedly useful irrespective of usage in your house. Me and the Mrs have our own tablets too, but my nephew loves getting his mitts on mine when he comes around. I was laughing at the windows 8 solution yesterday which is apparently just a swipe left to access the "kids area". Limited access to apps the parent pre-defines from there....but to go back to the main unit with full access you just need to hit the power button.

The iphone will allow panoramic pictures to be taken....then viewed flat on a screen...as does android....the new feature is 360 degree pictures that are viewed as such too. whether you do so in Google Maps, Google+ or any of the other programs listed, you can swivel around the entire view the picture taker had.

You dont use a 10 inch tablet to manage your diary. I use a 23 year old blonde Swiss lass not a fucking tablet.

With Apple TV, you can mirror your screen and play everything from music apps, bbc iplayer, videos, itunes match, the lot. Had it for ages. Again, before you wank yourself silly you wont be sitting on your sofa reading whats on the tablet via the TV. When you see it you'll see why.