Android Apps

Wavey Davey

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmation mails. Works if you forward them to someone too - so last week I had to pick my lass up from the airport, she sent her flight details to my Gmail, and I got a card telling me the status of her flight. It updated to show actual vs scheduled take off time. Pretty useful stuff.

I'll have to organise a holiday to see if it's working on Nexus 4 yet :D

I still only get Weather, travel/traffic, NUFC and Stocks.

I don't get the bus/metro times when I stand at a station or photo opportunities for anywhere i am (though that did work before) or Google+ bithdays or nearby movies or events etc etc. Even though they're turned on.

Is your phone language set to UK or US. I've read that it makes a difference.

I set mine to US to get the OK Google thing to work.

Have you updated to 4.4? I'm assuming some of these improvements come with that upgrade.

What's the photo opportunities thing? Never heard of that.

I'm on 4.4

Some people say to uninstall updates and then re-apply them, so i'll give that a go.

There's not much detail of photo spots here, but if you enable GPS and say you want recommendations, you should get them...

http://www.google.co.uk/landing/now/#gnow-tabset-local&tab=nearby-photo-spots

• 2 months later...

I just got round to installing plex on my devices. Been mentioned on here years ago. But its gorgeous. I can use any of the media on my home PC anywhere I go. I'm listening to podcasts from iTunes on my mobile remotely. Listening to my personal 200gb music library on my work PC. Also let's me chromecast to TVs anywhere I like so I can show a whole room of people my photos, videos, music without having to prepare any of it on a USB or upload to the cloud. Can also share my servers or parts of it with other people. So my dear old mother who struggles with tech can login to her Plex account and see all my TV series, films etc and watch them at her house.

Can't believe it's taken me so long to discover it. Exactly what I've been looking for, for years.

Just need gemmil to tell me how to get it running on xbmc now.

Does your PC need to be always on, or is it linked up to a NAS or something?

Your PC needs to be on to access the whole library. But the Plex forum says you can..

you can specify things like: "Sync the next three episodes of The Big Bang Theory" and the server / mobile will automatically ensure that those videos are available on your device. As you watch episodes, new episodes are then queued up and copied over to your device to ensure that you always have the "next three".

Nice one cheers. If XBMC ever falls over, I might look into this, but I'm not really downloading anything to my computer these days.

One thing though - presumably your mam watching stuff from your plex requires an upload using your home bandwidth. Wouldn't that wreck your internet speeds?

At the minute I'm on 24 hour call for my mam and sister whenever their raspberry pis don't work. It's a nightmare. I just bought my gran one of these Android Gbox Midnight MX2s in an effort to avoid adding another customer to the raspberry pi helpline.

Dunno how it effects the home internet, I've only tried logging on as another user from work so far. Yet to setup working accounts for any other family and see how I suffer when they view. Might not bother now you've raised the likely problems :D

Isn't there something called Samsung allshare? Or something like that. To be able to stream things through xbmc, you need something plugged into your t.v. with xbmc on it.

the all share thing only lets you share media already on your device pictures music etc looks like I need an android box or the raspberry pi thing you have then plugged into the telly cheers for the info Mr Gemmill.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone recommend a decent podcast app for for android? One that can support subscriptions would be ideal. I'm trying doggcatcher at the minute but it's skipping some of the shows from a feed as well as randomly showing old ones from the other feeds. The latter is easily remedied but just a minor pain. A decent music player could be helpful too I got Poweramp ages ago when it was reduced. The plan is to grab a decent memory card and use my S5 as an all in one rather than carry it and my iPod.

Don't know if it's the kind of thing you want, but him indoors has just this minute been bending my ear about Podcast Addict. Two nerd thumbs up from the other sofa, apparently.