Double shooting in Birtley

Woman's boyfriend killed in Gateshead double shooting

Armed police are searching for a man newly released from prison whom they believe shot his ex-girlfriend before killing her new partner on Tyneside.

Raoul Thomas Moat, from Newcastle, was released from a Durham jail on Friday having served a sentence for assault.

Police believe the attack, in Scafell, Birtley, Gatheshead, at about 0240 BST, was motivated by a "grudge" against the dead man.

A woman remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Northumbria Police have warned people not to approach Moat, saying he could be dangerous.

Police have confirmed that all the people involved in the incident were linked.

'Held grudge'

Det Supt Steve Howes, of Northumbria Police, said: "I would like to stress that this is not a random attack and that the people involved are all known to each other.

"We believe the offender targeted his victims because of a grudge he held against them."

Ray Huntley, who lives nearby, was first on the scene. He said: "I heard gunshot fire and there was a commotion.

"I found a body on the grass opposite the house. He was dead so I called 999. He had a hole in the back of his head."

The cause of death of the man, who has not been named, has yet to be established but police have confirmed both he and the injured woman suffered injuries "believed to be consistent with a gunshot wound".

A post-mortem examination is due to take place later.

Woman's boyfriend killed in Gateshead double shooting

Armed police are searching for a man newly released from prison whom they believe shot his ex-girlfriend before killing her new partner on Tyneside.

Raoul Thomas Moat, from Newcastle, was released from a Durham jail on Friday having served a sentence for assault.

Police believe the attack, in Scafell, Birtley, Gatheshead, at about 0240 BST, was motivated by a "grudge" against the dead man.

A woman remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Northumbria Police have warned people not to approach Moat, saying he could be dangerous.

Police have confirmed that all the people involved in the incident were linked.

'Held grudge'

Det Supt Steve Howes, of Northumbria Police, said: "I would like to stress that this is not a random attack and that the people involved are all known to each other.

"We believe the offender targeted his victims because of a grudge he held against them."

Ray Huntley, who lives nearby, was first on the scene. He said: "I heard gunshot fire and there was a commotion.

"I found a body on the grass opposite the house. He was dead so I called 999. He had a hole in the back of his head."

The cause of death of the man, who has not been named, has yet to be established but police have confirmed both he and the injured woman suffered injuries "believed to be consistent with a gunshot wound".

A post-mortem examination is due to take place later.

Hang on, he "could" be dangerous? What, shooting two people not enough like?

and "yet to establish the cause of death" - How about that gun shot hole in the back of the head? Just a thought like!

Gateshead double shooting suspect 'shot police officer'

A police officer has been injured in an "unprovoked" shooting which police are linking to an earlier double shooting.

Police have been hunting for Raoul Thomas Moat, 37, who they believe shot his ex-girlfriend before killing her new partner in Gateshead on Saturday.

Moat, from Newcastle, was released from prison three days ago.

The officer was approached by an armed man and shot in Newcastle at about 0045 BST. His condition is thought to be serious, but not life-threatening.

Police said the uniformed motor patrol officer was carrying out a "static patrol" on a roundabout at East Denton which joins the A1 and A69 when he was attacked. He was later taken to Newcastle General Hospital.

Temporary Chief Constable Sue Sim said: "This was an unprovoked attack on a Northumbria police officer as he carried out his duty.

"My thoughts are with his family and colleagues at this time.

"We strongly believe that this was carried out by the same man who shot two people in Gateshead early yesterday morning."

She reiterated the warning that people should not approach Moat, who is a wanted and "very dangerous" man.

Police said they were pursuing several lines of inquiry and said all available resources and tactics were being used.

Moat had been released from Durham prison on Thursday after serving a sentence for assault.

The woman, who has not been named, remains critically ill in hospital after reportedly being shot twice through a window of the house in Scafell, Birtley.

Northumbria Police said the attack happened at about 0240 BST on Saturday.

Moments later her partner left the house and was shot about 50m from the front door.

Ray Huntley, who lives nearby and found the dead man's body, said: "I heard gunshot fire and there was a commotion.

Relatives of the woman told the Sunday Telegraph she had been in an on-off relationship with Moat for six years.

They said she was shot twice and was now in hospital under armed police guard.

On Saturday, detectives suggested the attack was motivated by a grudge against the couple, but are now saying it appears to be a grudge against the police.

A post-mortem examination on the dead man is expected to be carried out later.

Speaking to BBC News, criminologist Prof David Wilson said there would have been no statutory obligation on the authorities to monitor or supervise Moat once he left Durham prison if he had served less than 12 months.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10500315.stm

Can't see this one ending well like - this bloke doesn't give a shit who gets in his way :lol:

Now he's shot a policeman this morning in Westerhope by the sounds of it.

Meant to be off to Ikea this morning but it sort of puts you off a tad. :lol:

:D

I don't think he'll be shopping for bizarrely named chairs like, you should be safe.

Guest Gordon McKeag

This is happening in my neck of the woods, and I tell you what it is, if any of you need to use the A1 or A69, don't. It may not be connected but there's a 10 mile tail back from Gosforth south, A69 about 2 mile long before you get to Denton Burn roundabout where the shooting happened.

Funny atmosphere about the place today its all everyone was on about in the bookies.

Survived the gunman but want shooting for agreeing to go to ikea on a Sunday.

I don't think this Moat character is going to be happy waiting in a queue like. :lol:

I don't think this Moat character is going to be happy waiting in a queue like. :D

Hang on a minute?? Moat?? Maybe related to Barry Moat?? :o

I don't think this Moat character is going to be happy waiting in a queue like. :angry:

Hang on a minute?? Moat?? Maybe related to Barry Moat?? :o

:D might have a grudge against ashley too

:angry:

Guest Gordon McKeag

Used to be a bouncer on Robinsons door, it's not called that now, ye naa where I mean though.

they seem to be keeping stuff to themselves (police) eg the shooting at the A69/A1, was he on foot/car, which way did he head off, i'm no expert but dont the traffic cars have cameras front and back?? and why are they so sure he has not left the area??

like Craig said, i cant see this ending well :o

Guest Gordon McKeag
they seem to be keeping stuff to themselves (police) eg the shooting at the A69/A1, was he on foot/car, which way did he head off, i'm no expert but dont the traffic cars have cameras front and back?? and why are they so sure he has not left the area??

like Craig said, i cant see this ending well :o

I don't know if its illegal for me to do this but fuck it anyway, my mate is in the OB, he text me today to say that the cunt has rang the OB earlier, to say there'd be more carnage. The press havent reported yet, which says they're keepin things tight.

That round about is 2 mins drive from mine! Scary stuff....

Hope the fucker is found soon, though he doesnt look like the kind of bloke to come quietly....

like Craig said, i cant see this ending well :D

I don't know if its illegal for me to do this but fuck it anyway, my mate is in the OB, he text me today to say that the cunt has rang the OB earlier, to say there'd be more carnage. The press havent reported yet, which says they're keepin things tight.

thats the kind of thing i have been thinking, hope its a quiet night tonight :o

hope they find the fucker and find him soon

No doubt the quotes will be along the lines of "I'm shocked. He was such a quiet lad. I only saw him when he pushing the pram".

Hopefully hell blow his own head off saving the taxpayer money.

Guest Gordon McKeag

Police helicopters are all over the shop within a mile right now, I hope they've got the ginger twat.

Police helicopters are all over the shop within a mile right now, I hope they've got the ginger twat.

Where abouts is this, denton burn way?

Guest Gordon McKeag

Where abouts is this, denton burn way?

Aye sounds about half a mile to a mile open ye window, its gettin louder.