Finally...........

LeazesMag

got new PC up and running, after the probs I had and posted about in the "help" section

I now have IE8. The difference being that when I want to go onto the internet, I used to click onto the IE icon and my old 56k upgraded to broadband settings worked like they did when I had dial up. Now, I click on the thompson modem [yes I am going to get a router soon]. Is this the way it is supposed to work ??

Also - now that I have a proper registered copy of Windows XP, does it mean I don't need to use zonealarm, DR Spyware and Avast or AVG anymore ?

got new PC up and running, after the probs I had and posted about in the "help" section

I now have IE8. The difference being that when I want to go onto the internet, I used to click onto the IE icon and my old 56k upgraded to broadband settings worked like they did when I had dial up. Now, I click on the thompson modem [yes I am going to get a router soon]. Is this the way it is supposed to work ??

Also - now that I have a proper registered copy of Windows XP, does it mean I don't need to use zonealarm, DR Spyware and Avast or AVG anymore ?

Welcome to 2002.

Welcome to 2002.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it :icon_lol:

Guest Gordon McKeag

Good to have you back Leazes. Danny B came back this week too, and Renton's fucked off it seems, so it's nearly all good.

Good to have you back Leazes. Danny B came back this week too, and Renton's fucked off it seems, so it's nearly all good.

Considering I'm the most inconsequential poster on the board you seem a bit obsessed Stevie Boy.

Leazes, you could buy a decent enough computer with Windows 7 for a couple of hundred quid nowadays. Save you a lot of bother I reckon. Then just stick avast on or something similar for AV protection.

Considering I'm the most inconsequential poster on the board you seem a bit obsessed Stevie Boy.

Leazes, you could buy a decent enough computer with Windows 7 for a couple of hundred quid nowadays. Save you a lot of bother I reckon. Then just stick avast on or something similar for AV protection.

I've got AVG, but am wondering if I need Zone Alarm and Spydoctor as well [which i had on the old one]

Hi Leazes,

I would still use a decent spyware (spybot) and free virus checker (AVG / Avast) on your pc to be on the safeside.

Its good you are here, the loony lefties on here need putting in their place.

Hi Leazes,

I would still use a decent spyware (spybot) and free virus checker (AVG / Avast) on your pc to be on the safeside.

ok.

What about zonealarm ? Or will windows firewall be enough ?

Hi Leazes,

ok.

What about zonealarm ? Or will windows firewall be enough ?

Windows firewall should be ok as long as you're not being too naughty. Keep your avg up-to-date and do a full scan once or twice a week. Also download either MalwareBytes and/or Spybot to keep an eye out for malware. Likewise, keep these up-to-date and scan regularly.

You could use Firefox instead of IE as your browser as Firefox is supposed to be more secure, particularly if you use NoScript with it to limit what certain sites can do.

Never understood why people are arsed which browser they use, they're pretty much all the same for me.

However, XP is ancient now. For a small amount of money, LM could buy new hardware and upgrade to Win7, which has an adeqate firewall etc and is much nicer to use. Avoid Vista like the plague though, obviously.

Never understood why people are arsed which browser they use, they're pretty much all the same for me.

However, XP is ancient now. For a small amount of money, LM could buy new hardware and upgrade to Win7, which has an adeqate firewall etc and is much nicer to use. Avoid Vista like the plague though, obviously.

;) Vista = :icon_lol:

as for browsers, true they all do the same thing but chrome ( http://www.google.com/chrome ) for example uses a lot less resources (memory/processor power, making it extremely quick) than FF or IE which makes it ideal for low spec systems. FF is very customisable and thats why i use it. horses for courses tho.

Hang on, I thought that was me? :jesuswept:

:yahoo:

Well, I've installed firefox, and I want it to save passwords for sites like this, but not to save passwords for my yahoomail etc ? How can I do this ?

It also lets you view the "saved and secure" passwords :jesuswept:

Whenever you enter your log-in details on a site, a bar should pop up on the top asking if you want to save the passwords for that site. You can choose to "save" "not right now" (or something like that) or "never for this site". just click never for your e-mail and choose to save it on here.

Whenever you enter your log-in details on a site, a bar should pop up on the top asking if you want to save the passwords for that site. You can choose to "save" "not right now" (or something like that) or "never for this site". just click never for your e-mail and choose to save it on here.

yes, but if its the same as my email ?? I'll have to change the passwords for all my football sites etc, what a ballache

yes, but if its the same as my email ?? I'll have to change the passwords for all my football sites etc, what a ballache

It does it by site, not by password. If that's what you mean.

ok. So how much more virus and spyware protection does it give ? Do you still need to run checkers and antispyware ?

ok. So how much more virus and spyware protection does it give ? Do you still need to run checkers and antispyware ?

It's less likely to be hacked but you must continue to run your anti-virus and spyware.