Xbox or PS3

Kevin

Okay so my PS3's broke and I need a new console. Will be getting one within the next month.

Obviously PS3 is the best choice for me because of the many games I have. But i could trade those in and get hopefully a good bit for them.

things putting me off the xbox;

The failure rate

The cost of live

things putting me on the xbox;

Most of my friends have live, not many have PSN

I'm looking for a fresh change

So which should I get?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so my PS3's broke and I need a new console. Will be getting one within the next month.

Obviously PS3 is the best choice for me because of the many games I have. But i could trade those in and get hopefully a good bit for them.

The failure rate

The cost of live

So which should I get?

Buy an Elite or a new slim

its a better service

The failure rate

The cost of live

So which should I get?

its a better service

If I was buying one it would most definitely be the new slims.

I still duno but. I want a change like. I've been playstation my whole life and it would be hard to switch over.

Is it really a better service?

Saying that, I can only play CoD after 11.30pm for some reason, it keeps saying that thing erm.. loading playlists or something, i duno its been a while. And I also always get disconnected on Fifa.

The failure rate

The cost of live

So which should I get?

its a better service

I still duno but. I want a change like. I've been playstation my whole life and it would be hard to switch over.

Saying that, I can only play CoD after 11.30pm for some reason, it keeps saying that thing erm.. loading playlists or something, i duno its been a while. And I also always get disconnected on Fifa.

in which case the failure rate is a non-issue, the slims have an entirely new internal design thats got rid of the flawed clamps inside that screw everything up

it is yeh, more reliable and stuff tends to get released earlier too

The failure rate

The cost of live

So which should I get?

its a better service

in which case the failure rate is a non-issue, the slims have an entirely new internal design thats got rid of the flawed clamps inside that screw everything up

Have a read of this..

--------------

The "Red Ring Of Death", the dreaded symbol of a catastrophic system failure that has become an icon of the Xbox 360's lifetime, will soon be no more, as the new model of the console won't display the error.

Deciding to take the opportunity for a clean break, Microsoft has not included any red lights in the console, only green ones, so if something goes wrong this time around, you'll get a...green ring of death. Which is surely more calming!

The Red Ring - or RRoD - had become less common in recent years as Microsoft gradually improved the quality of the Xbox 360, but it was still an issue in the general consciousness, so it's understandable the company would want to clean the slate. Let's just hope the new console has the reliability to really put the RRoD to bed.

Source: Joystiq c/o Kotaku

------------

How good are Microsoft's repair/help service incase it did break?

While you pay more for Live, the accessibility and features of the service are much better. If you're bothered about achievements/trophies, it's much easier to access and compare with your friends (which, tbf, the only reason having them is to have more than your mates), it has basic stuff like party chat, private chat without having to be in the same game, a better spotlight on their marketplace offers and new releases (indie games aside) and is just an easier service to get around. It's not as easy to look at as the XMB on the PS3 but it functions a lot better.

As for games, well, it's basically down to "Do you prefer Mass Effect or Killzone? Do you prefer Forza or Gran Turismo" since those are really the only exclusives either console has so it's a similar choice.

The PS3 is definitely better made but the slim 360 supposedly addresses the main problems so, I don't know, maybe that'll have a better rate of not exploding.

The failure rate

The cost of live

So which should I get?

its a better service

Have a read of this..

--------------

The "Red Ring Of Death", the dreaded symbol of a catastrophic system failure that has become an icon of the Xbox 360's lifetime, will soon be no more, as the new model of the console won't display the error.

Deciding to take the opportunity for a clean break, Microsoft has not included any red lights in the console, only green ones, so if something goes wrong this time around, you'll get a...green ring of death. Which is surely more calming!

The Red Ring - or RRoD - had become less common in recent years as Microsoft gradually improved the quality of the Xbox 360, but it was still an issue in the general consciousness, so it's understandable the company would want to clean the slate. Let's just hope the new console has the reliability to really put the RRoD to bed.

------------

they're fine, moreso if you buy from a proper store you'll get a year to take it back if it fails anyway

and as I said the new slims (which that article seems to have missed out) have actually got rid of the known cause of the RROD failure

Very good in my experience. They're certainly experts at fixing the RRoD since I got mine back in 9 days once (anywhere between that and 2 weeks, they say) and it came with a new disk tray to boot.

While you pay more for Live, the accessibility and features of the service are much better. If you're bothered about achievements/trophies, it's much easier to access and compare with your friends (which, tbf, the only reason having them is to have more than your mates), it has basic stuff like party chat, private chat without having to be in the same game, a better spotlight on their marketplace offers and new releases (indie games aside) and is just an easier service to get around. It's not as easy to look at as the XMB on the PS3 but it functions a lot better.

As for games, well, it's basically down to "Do you prefer Mass Effect or Killzone? Do you prefer Forza or Gran Turismo" since those are really the only exclusives either console has so it's a similar choice.

The PS3 is definitely better made but the slim 360 supposedly addresses the main problems so, I don't know, maybe that'll have a better rate of not exploding.

As you've said regarding the XMB, i think the xbox's one is just too complicated. It looks ugly compared to the simple ps3 one.

The failure rate

The cost of live

So which should I get?

its a better service

Have a read of this..

--------------

------------

they're fine, moreso if you buy from a proper store you'll get a year to take it back if it fails anyway

and as I said the new slims (which that article seems to have missed out) have actually got rid of the known cause of the RROD failure

What are the other main failure causes such as RROD do you know?

Very good in my experience. They're certainly experts at fixing the RRoD since I got mine back in 9 days once (anywhere between that and 2 weeks, they say) and it came with a new disk tray to boot.

Not bad. Ps3's is shite. £150 to get mine fixed ffs. its a fucking joke.

The xbox is much, much better for gaming.

the only time i use the ps3 now is for blu-rays, and ps3 only games like god of war.

the xbox always has the games in 1080p, the same game on the ps3 is unlikely to be which is truely fucking iritating.

if you like using headsets during games the ps3 is pathetic for it, bought one to play pes 2010 with my mate and the voice chat only works outside of games...

Blu-ray and streaming - ps3

Games and streaming - xbox

like andrew said get an elite, work fine and if you've a mate means you can bring your hd with you to use on other consoles(cant do that with the new slims)

So overall you'd recommend xbox?

I'm seriously starting to think about getting one.

the other big failures were the graphics card E74(or 73 I cant remember) failure which left no display on the screen but again thats been improved and fixed with the slim

the other was the pwoer block but again thats been entirely dealt with

Preowned games still cost around £25. Money I just don't have :lol:

I reckon you'd get fallout, fifa maybe a CoD for less than 20 a pop plus youd have trade in money

You could get as little as 4 quid or something from Gamestation.

Maybe 25 at the most for brand new games.

Sometimes they have weeks were you get 10% more trade in value.

The only thing stopping me now is that I have to buy so many new games for the xbox. Fifa, CoD's, Red dead, fallout etc. etc.

You might as well hold on till the new Fifa anyway.

Could always pick up the world cup edition for cheap now.

The only thing stopping me now is that I have to buy so many new games for the xbox. Fifa, CoD's, Red dead, fallout etc. etc.

You might as well hold on till the new Fifa anyway.

Could always pick up the world cup edition for cheap now.

its awful stick with 2010

ive heard good from a lot of people