Hughton after Cleverley

The Fish

FUCK MY LIFE! ;)

I hardly know what to say. What do you expect me to say when I see people defending the current policy or trying to be optimistic about it ?

I'm certainly not going to spout a load of shite just so idiots like you will agree with me.

hehehehe...that made laugh.

as ever your point of view seems confused and hard to pin down, some might say that it is the shite you spout which precludes anyone agreeing with you.

change your telescope.

:icon_lol: ...as soon as you change your comeback.

if signing players on loan keeps us up i'll be happy, the alternative of signing no one at all doesn't seem like much an option.

i take your point that this is not what any of the fans would like to see, but as there is no chance of MA changing the way he's running the club, it may be the best of option of a bad lot.

in other words, he's a shit owner and will never match the ambition, or the european qualifications and heights reached of the previous regime. Canny, I can live with that. Shame it took you so long to see it. How long do you think it will take to find another owner who will ?

Test your telescope.

You are probably at ease with it because you don't spend your hard earned cash watching it every week.

not at ease with it but wtf can be done about it. has to be a silver lining and all that.

how long did it take me to see it? check through the threads, my disagreements with you have been in general chat ( I have called you on being a broken record abut the H's & S) but I generally don't pipe in this forum as I know a pittance compared to most on here.

how long for a good owner? longer than this season I think, if we stay up MA will put us back on the block after all the shit he'll take ( and deservedly) this season for being a shit owner with no ambition.

My point is that whatever miniscule steps are taken to keep us up must be better than doing nothing at all.

any my point - again - is that you should not take such shit ambition, for a club like Newcastle, and accept it. Those who didn't appreciate the ambition of the old owners should hang their heads in shame, maybe the next time it comes along, or if it comes along, they may appreciate it more.

I realise I am talking predominantly of posters on NO rather than on here, but there are still a few on here.

Anyway, who is going to say this thread has been derailed by me again :icon_lol:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you're not signing another player whose name ends in 'ey', and for £2m. I can't even bring myself to type his name.

:icon_lol:

Who?

Heskey, I think.

Yep. If he did signed I'd have to put that suicide smiley on every post.

Leazes, everyone feels the same in regards to ambition. We're not agreeing with you as such because your opinion in relation to ambition is an easy conclusion to reach. Unlike you however we're trying to find some direction and answers to the current predicament, something you've never done in realistic terms.

You're the equivalent of a politician who's entire campaign is pointing out the shortcomings of the alternative rather than having any policies of your own.

Leazes, everyone feels the same in regards to ambition. We're not agreeing with you as such because your opinion in relation to ambition is an easy conclusion to reach. Unlike you however we're trying to find some direction and answers to the current predicament, something you've never done in realistic terms.

You're the equivalent of a politician who's entire campaign is pointing out the shortcomings of the alternative rather than having any policies of your own.

buy some quality footballers and pay the going rate. What is difficult about that, for a club with the 3rd highest gate in the country and [was] the 14th richest in the world ?

Not that long ago we had a board who meant business - in regard to building a team for the future by balancing it's recruiting, and not just purchasing established or so-called trophy players - and backed their managers & were prepared to pay the necessary going rate in order to secure youth players of repute/or the cream of the crop of the youth ranks. Viana, Bramble, Jenas, Dyer fit the mould and to a lesser extent recent U21 representatives of the time like Domi - underrated player and a 4m capture.

It's bloody difficult for any manager to build any semblance of team cohesion, and continuity both in the way of comradeship/culture within the squad and a pattern of play out on the pitch by strongly basing it's buying policy on a revolving door one of loan pick-ups, in a bid to break-even/to balance the books to ensure the owner recoups his investment over a period of time.

The aforementioned team attributes are built from within and outside, by developing a generation courtesy of the efforts of the academy and by recruiting blue-chip talent from outside, and clubs have to be prepared to pay the going rate in the case of the latter. Arsenal have a list of 5m+ buys, or thereabouts, in it's acquirement of such talent under Wenger.

In this instance we've gotten lucky. Man U's depth in numbers has ensured this. Providing that Cleverley is a hit, we're only cultivating a talent over a short-term for another PL club, and that in itself is an insult for a club of our stature. And we're only further enhancing the players value. Manchester United are winners in both counts.

Attempting to build a team spine, and team for the future by acquiring young talent which is 1st-team ready, by placing an over-reliance on loan deals, and belated 1m offers - anybody remember our bid for Delph, a bid Leeds laughed at..... a colorful fax from Bates to the club was mentioned - doesn't cut the mustard. More often than not such moves will be rebuffed by clubs who have nurtured this type of in-demand talent, kids who are on the radars of PL clubs. Financial models or otherwise, the club under Ashley's watch is garnering itself a reputation as time-waster in the transfer market.

Edited by Year Zero

Not that long ago we had a board who meant business - in regard to building a team for the future by balancing it's recruiting, and not just purchasing established or so-called trophy players - and backed their managers & were prepared to pay the necessary going rate in order to secure youth players of repute/or the cream of the crop of the youth ranks. Viana, Bramble, Jenas, Dyer fit the mould and to a lesser extent recent U21 representatives of the time like Domi - underrated player and a 4m capture.

It's bloody difficult for any manager to build any semblance of team cohesion, and continuity both in the way of comradeship/culture within the squad and a pattern of play out on the pitch by strongly basing it's buying policy on a revolving door one of loan pick-ups, in a bid to break-even/to balance the books to ensure the owner recoups his investment over a period of time.

The aforementioned team attributes are built from within and outside, by developing a generation courtesy of the efforts of the academy and by recruiting blue-chip talent from outside, and clubs have to be prepared to pay the going rate in the case of the latter. Arsenal have a list of 5m+ buys, or thereabouts, in it's acquirement of such talent under Wenger.

In this instance we've gotten lucky. Man U's depth in numbers has ensured this. Providing that Cleverley is a hit, we're only cultivating a talent over a short-term for another PL club, and that in itself is an insult for a club of our stature. And we're only further enhancing the players value. Manchester United are winners in both counts.

Attempting to build a team spine, and team for the future by acquiring young talent which is 1st-team ready, by placing an over-reliance on loan deals, and belated 1m offers - anybody remember our bid for Delph, a bid Leeds laughed at..... a colorful fax from Bates to the club was mentioned - doesn't cut the mustard. More often than not such moves will be rebuffed by clubs who have nurtured this type of in-demand talent, kids who are on the radars of PL clubs. Financial models or otherwise, the club under Ashley's watch is garnering itself a reputation as time-waster in the transfer market.

Has your usual account been locked out Leazes?

Mistaken Identify Syndrome, clearly :suicide:

I've held my own view on Ashley's running of the club since Day One mate, although it is similar to LM's. Very much a fence sitter in relation to Shepherd, although i lean more towards a favorable opinion of Shepherd. He had his faults, but as a bloke - from things i've heard - and as a chairman who accomplished more good than bad he cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the club's current brainstrust.

BTW are you at odds with the basic premise of a chairman backing his manager's decision making & judgement? :D

I won't back down from the time-wasters reference in the last paragraph. I'd go far as saying that the current brainstrust are conveniently incompetent in the transfer market, as far as blowing potential transfer deals by offering derisory amounts to sellers and by putting in place a wage structure which is uncompetitive compared to what other PL clubs are prepared to offer, for quality youth talent that is.

There was a time when the board used to tie up the necessary loose ends, professionally and with a minimum of fuss. Viana, Woodgate, Robert and Jenas to name some examples. Established and recognised players of international repute in a couple of instances, and a pair of very much in-demand youngsters at the time.

Agree with other comments regarding banning the loan system between top flight clubs as well. Not only for the previously mentioned stockpiling of talent reasons, but this system acts as 'get out of jail free' card and allows owners of Ashley's ilk the opportunity rake off of the revenue streams associated with top flight status but with little or no expenditure in the acquirement of players. That's a criminal offense for a club of our size.

I'd believe that if you didn't follow it up with....

BTW are you at odds with the basic premise of a chairman backing his manager's decision making & judgement? :D

If anyone in the previous regime needs to be lionised, it's SJH. That's the man with the vision. Shepherd went down gradually over the years in my estimation after the Keegan era.

who gives a fuck about your estimation of a personality ? Just look at the league positions and the european qualifications, backing the managers, and trying their best to live up to being one of the biggest clubs in the country.

I'd believe that if you didn't follow it up with....

clearly you are at odds with it. Why is this ?

If anyone in the previous regime needs to be lionised, it's SJH. That's the man with the vision. Shepherd went down gradually over the years in my estimation after the Keegan era.

Shepherd was indeed part of the brainstrust which indeed lured Keegan back to the club. Whereas SJH needed to be strongly convinced/persuaded, while being the willing party pertaining to sticking it out [weathering the relegation fight] with Ardilles.

SJH may have had the vision, as far was being the man with the grand idea of transforming the city into cultural hub with the club being at it's epicenter and for that he deserves his due credit, but he wasn't the sole professor pertaining to the catalyst which directly led to the club's rapid turnaround. That catalyst being Keegan's return as manager and for that SJH's accolade 'as the one bloke who needs to be lionised from the previous regime', and there have been various plaudits in varying guises used to describe, is a bit unfair.

Ultimately though SJH was looking to get out for a while. Cameron Hall Ltd was a shell of it's former self for close to a decade, in the wake of D.Hall's brief reign in the company's top job.

Despite the vision displayed and the platform he layed down, SJH went down quite a bit in my estimation when he failed to carry out some sort of due diligence needed to ascertain whether the club's reigns were being handed over to a responsible & ambitious custodian - as opposed to just the taking the money & running.

Ashley's previous track-record & dealings in the business/corporate realm [in the area of ethics & unsavory business practices with his competition, and suppliers alike namely Umbro with regards to the latter] should' have at least drawn a couple of red flags. In essence he was a cheap & tacky street trader who made it big in an economic boom time.

Where Ashley is concerned, with regards to his business practices, there's a difference between being ruthless and outright taking the piss/taking companies or people for mugs. I point to his strained relationship with the-then Umbro, both as a major customer and a minor or saboteur shareholder of sorts, as a case in point. Referring back to my second paragraph, and SJH's passion for the club, due diligence should've at least entered into the equation - just as it should've re:Ashley being unaware of the fine-print involved relating to the stadium debt in the event of a buy-out, instead of whinging about inherited for the remainder of his watch.

Back to the original buy-out of the club, Ashley and SJH were as impulsive and foolish as one another. SJH cut & ran, and Ashley thought he was acquiring a major domestic sporting brand at a bargain price with little or no strings attached.

Edited by Year Zero

Clearly you are at odds with with the basic premise of a chairman backing his manager's decision making & judgement?

Excellent powers of deduction Sherlock.

:)

some worrying comments from hughton in that daily mail article. sounds like he's happy with his forwards. while it's encouraging to hear we're still in for ben arfa, we should really be chasing at least one new striker too. the less said about xisco making a comeback the better.

Xisco has been good in pre-season. We have six strikers who have all been fit in pre-season so it's been a case of shifting them around to give them the minutes they need.

'The difficulty for him is he's playing in a position where we have a lot of options. All he can do is to force the decision. He can put himself in a position to perform and train well.