Ben Arfa

ChezGiven

8th of April and CH was singing a very different tune...

"Chris Hughton is confident that Newcastle United will reap the rewards of an early promotion back to the Premier League in the transfer market, with the manager believing he has gained a crucial advantage in planning for next season.

Newcastle have been promoted with five games to spare in the Championship and, despite Hughton's attempts to keep the focus on securing the Championship title, he has already begun to look at what needs to be done to ensure the club have the best chance of surviving in the top flight.

Hughton expects to receive a transfer budget somewhere in the region of £25m and feels he only needs four or five new signings to strengthen a squad which already has plenty of top-flight experience. A new striker will be the main priority as he does not have a proven goalscorer at that level, but two full-backs, a central midfielder and a centre-back will also be high on his wish list."

Hughton isn't quoted in that "story".

He is a bit later.

"The fact that we now know which division we're going to be in does give us a headstart and any headstart is always welcome," said Hughton, who will discuss his transfer plans with the managing director, Derek Llambias, at the earliest opportunity.

"It gives us more time to plan for next season. The agents have started already. The first possible chance they will see to push players on you and make you aware their players are available is when you get promotion."

Looks to me CH was expecting a fairly busy transfer window.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ap...-premier-league

Edited by Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Makes you laugh doesn't it, why is it the case with us we often find ourselves in these prolonged complicated transfers. The Luque one seemed to drag on for weeks and FFS was daft enough to give in if you remember paying them £3m more than was agreed.

Man Utd just go in get the bid accepted, deal done, before anyones even heard of it.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

Makes you laugh doesn't it, why is it the case with us we often find ourselves in these prolonged complicated transfers. The Luque one seemed to drag on for weeks and FFS was daft enough to give in if you remember paying them £3m more than was agreed.

Man Utd just go in get the bid accepted, deal done, before anyones even heard of it.

I think we've tended get deals tied up and announced without any rumours (colo, guti etc.) or we've walked away as soon as a club/player starts a public bidding war (Beckford, Perch originally etc)

Edited by Happy Face

The German side have lodged a £6.6million bid for the Marseille player after bagging £12.5m from Ozil's sale to Real Madrid.

Whatever the truth of that. It's just struck me that Man City value Milner as twice the player Ozil is.

Incredible.

The German side have lodged a £6.6million bid for the Marseille player after bagging £12.5m from Ozil's sale to Real Madrid.

Whatever the truth of that. It's just struck me that Man City value Milner as twice the player Ozil is.

Incredible.

Wasn't Ozil's price more a function of the fact that he only had 1 year left on his contract?

Incredible.

Wasn't Ozil's price more a function of the fact that he only had 1 year left on his contract?

That's more to do with the selling club innit? What they will accept when there's only one club interested.

Man City are playing close to £30m for Miler when they could have conceivably gazzumped Madrid with a £20m offer for Ozil.

Perhaps Ozil had indicated he'd turn down personal terms with any club other than Madrid so forced Bremen into accepting their offer.

Edited by Happy Face

Incredible.

That's more to do with the selling club innit? What they will accept when there's only one club interested.

Man City are playing close to £30m for Miler when they could have conceivably gazzumped Madrid with a £20m offer for Ozil.

Perhaps Ozil had indicated he'd turn down personal terms with any club other than Madrid so forced Bremen into accepting their offer.

I think that's the point, as a result of his contract situation, he would have had a large say in where he went as he would only have to sit out another 12 months otherwise. Hence, Real Madrid were able to get him on the cheap.

Given the clubs reportedly after him, it highly unlikely that he would have chosen Man City hence I don't think you can draw a comparison between the price of Milner and Ozil.

Werder Bremen chairman has said they don't want HBA, and that they are not looking for a replacement for Ozil, where he says the trail for HBA is certaintly not hot, where as the trail for Santos player Wesley is very hot!. This was from L'Equipe.

So hopefully, this is good news for us.

It also looks like Marseille are signing both Gignac and Loic Remy.

good news me old china.

Ting tong?

Brick, where did you get a hand grenade?

I don't know.

I Stabbed a man in the heart.

Yes Brick and your probably going to have to go into a hiding until that all blows over, because your probably wanted for murder.

We met their their conditions for a deal over a week ago. The fact that Dassier then turned round and said no to the deal was quite annoying for Ben Arfa who then went on strike because of this.

I'm always astounded how much people can ignore reality to justify their own pre-existing views.

A legally binding agreement was not established, between OM and ourselves. This crux point seems to be sadly overlooked [by many, with a 'black & white' tinted viewpoint] when looking for a stick to bash OM/Dassier with.

It's up to the club to compromise, to comply to their terms: to find some common ground, rather than stick to bids deemed as being 'too low'. That's what ambitious clubs resort to when securing priority targets, players which are central to the manager's building plans.

We met their their conditions for a deal over a week ago. The fact that Dassier then turned round and said no to the deal was quite annoying for Ben Arfa who then went on strike because of this.

I'm always astounded how much people can ignore reality to justify their own pre-existing views.

A legally binding agreement was not established, between OM and ourselves. This crux point seems to be sadly overlooked [by many, with a 'black & white' tinted viewpoint] when looking for a stick to bash OM/Dassier with.

It's up to the club to compromise, to comply to their terms: to find some common ground, rather than stick to bids deemed as being 'too low'. That's what ambitious clubs resort to when securing priority targets, players which are central to the manager's building plans.

Yeah Ben Arfa went on strike because our bid wasnt good enough. If a legally binding agreement had been made then of course he would be here already. Am not sure what you add by pointing that out. It seems i can add something to understanding the situation by repeating that Ben Arfa went on strike because Dassier back-tracked on an agreement to let the player go if certain conditions were met. These conditions were met and then Dassier caight wind of 4m for Niang from Fenerbache and pulled out of the deal.

Am not the one with a tinted viewpoint here, however i think the strategy of us deferring payment until we see how he fares is questionable. As many have pointed out, its false economy.

Edited by ChezGiven