Ben Arfa

ChezGiven

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think we offered him the most money? On what basis? What information are you using to form that quite startling opinion?

Dont tell Leazes we are offering better financial terms than CL clubs around Europe.

I can't honestly think of any other reason to turn down Milan and Werder Bremen...was there anyone else?..Liverpool?..hate saying it, but they're all more attractive than us at the moment.And didnt his agent say that they were told to find a new club (i.e. us) and he wasn't allowed to go because Milan wanted to pay cash now rather than a loan? It all points to us offering the most dosh for me.

We're paying some players 50k+ a week. No player coming in is reportedly on more than 25k. But Mike Ashley could also say the moon is made of green cheese and it would be about as truthful coming from that fuckers gob.

You think we offered him the most money? On what basis? What information are you using to form that quite startling opinion?

Dont tell Leazes we are offering better financial terms than CL clubs around Europe.

I can't honestly think of any other reason to turn down Milan and Werder Bremen...was there anyone else?..Liverpool?..hate saying it, but they're all more attractive than us at the moment.And didnt his agent say that they were told to find a new club (i.e. us) and he wasn't allowed to go because Milan wanted to pay cash now rather than a loan? It all points to us offering the most dosh for me.

We're paying some players 50k+ a week. No player coming in is reportedly on more than 25k. But Mike Ashley could also say the moon is made of green cheese and it would be about as truthful coming from that fuckers gob.

He didn't turn down Milan, they are bidding for Robinho. Werder Bremen have too many quality mf's and they couldn't guarantee him a first team place, which is what I belive what CH has. I also believe he single mindedly wanted to come here. He is a bit mad. ;)

He didn't turn down Milan, they are bidding for Robinho. Werder Bremen have too many quality mf's and they couldn't guarantee him a first team place, which is what I belive what CH has. I also believe he single mindedly wanted to come here. He is a bit mad. ;)

Us being the last resort when all other more attractive options have been exhausted is very likely too ;)

Not keen on his agent doing a lot of his talking in the media either, that always makes me suspicious....why did a deal which was dead a week ago suddenly spring back to life?

Based on nowt then. Fair enough.

That bold bit makes no sense either, L'OM wanted to sell him outright and not loan him to us. It was reported in the french press that firm offers to buy him were on the table. It seems other clubs were in for him but he had his heart set on coming to us.

No one knows for sure but nothing i've read since the end of July has suggested we were offering massive wages and thats why he was coming to us. I could equally put forward the view that he has been a life-long fan and has always dreamed of playing for NUFC. In fact that (daft) opinion is actually supported by the fact that he is with us.

That bold bit makes no sense either, L'OM wanted to sell him outright and not loan him to us. It was reported in the french press that firm offers to buy him were on the table. It seems other clubs were in for him but he had his heart set on coming to us.

No one knows for sure but nothing i've read since the end of July has suggested we were offering massive wages and thats why he was coming to us. I could equally put forward the view that he has been a life-long fan and has always dreamed of playing for NUFC. In fact that (daft) opinion is actually supported by the fact that he is with us.

As you say, we don't know for sure, but for me money motivates some players more than the glory of champions league football. Or as mentioned the likes of Milan and Bremen passed and he came back to us with his tale between his legs last week.

"Newcastle was my first choice," Ben Arfa, who also said he hopes to be fit for action within the next fortnight, told L'Equipe. "Everything happened because I wanted to come here."

;)

How many players come out with this shit when they move clubs though? Fair play to the lad if it's true but it all comes with a mine full of salt for me.

As you say, we don't know for sure, but for me money motivates some players more than the glory of champions league football. Or as mentioned the likes of Milan and Bremen passed and he came back to us with his tale between his legs last week.

Well if you want to look at it that way then there is nothing to prove you arent right (just seems less likely to me) but i take the point about modern footballers in general.

My optimistic view is that he wanted a team where he could shine, a sporting challenge in a new league to escape the constant media attention in France and the non-stop debate over his actions on and off the pitch. I also want to believe that we are profiting from the Shepherd era where this club was elevated to the top tier of European football, we signed Ginola and Robert, we established connections with great European clubs and the reputation of our support is known amongst people who Ben Arfa is known to have discussed the move with (Cantona) and those who live in Marseilles in the summer (Beye, Cisse). Thats mostly pure speculation from me, apart from the Cantona bit.

I think he has looked at us and seen a fit. Whether he can live up to his reputation (as a gifted footballer) with us remains to be seen.

I am dissapointed by this lack of ambition by Ashley I say Ashley and Lambs arse. If Shepherd was still in charge we would have just bought him straight off and put him on a decent wage.

I'm disappointed Ashley is still in charge, but if we get the dutch bloke and/or Keane, you have to say FMA has done well this summer for us, far more than we were led to believe or could've hoped for in June. So my key point is here, you're talkin shite.

it's a daft wind up aimed at me Stevie ;)

KCG lived through the 80's though, or says he did, so should know better.

Never mind. Lets hope this guy is a good player and he stays at the club for a long time......

Just a bit of a one though LM.

you are right we were ran badly in the 80'sand the Halls et al saved us and gave us fabulous football. However your inability to admit in the last few years of SHepherds control we were screwed into the ground and that is partially not fully to blame for where we are now spoils your very cogent arguments about the goodside of the Halls and Shepherds tenure.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u...72703-27164711/?

Hughton "He wanted to come to the premier league and he wanted to come to us. We're not just bringing him here because there was nowhere else for him to go"

As i said, he deserves a massive reception.

It's his destiny. I also believe him when he says that he has been reading up on us, he is very single minded and something has 'clicked' between the entity that is Bafra and Newcastle. This IMO is the most important tranfer of Ashley's reign. And I don't say that lightly. This the player we have been waiting for, this is the time. Let the dream begin. ;)

Well if you want to look at it that way then there is nothing to prove you arent right (just seems less likely to me) but i take the point about modern footballers in general.

My optimistic view is that he wanted a team where he could shine, a sporting challenge in a new league to escape the constant media attention in France and the non-stop debate over his actions on and off the pitch. I also want to believe that we are profiting from the Shepherd era where this club was elevated to the top tier of European football, we signed Ginola and Robert, we established connections with great European clubs and the reputation of our support is known amongst people who Ben Arfa is known to have discussed the move with (Cantona) and those who live in Marseilles in the summer (Beye, Cisse). Thats mostly pure speculation from me, apart from the Cantona bit.

I think he has looked at us and seen a fit. Whether he can live up to his reputation (as a gifted footballer) with us remains to be seen.

Interesting angle reg Beye and Cisse and another thing, to French players of this type the ambience of a club is as important as its stature, a starlet like Bafra thrives on the right kind of supporter and the right kind of passion which is what we almost alone in the PL are all about. I've travelled around Europe a fair bit in the last ten years and people are very happy to talk about Newcastle as much as say a Liverpool, we are still carrying that certain aura that excites certain kinds of players. I think he has looked at us and fancies running the midfield, I might add I would rahter have him than Nasri who is similar, but not as gifted.

I don't see why some people find it so hard to believe that Ben Arfa wanted to choose us over other clubs who were in the CL. I mean what is so difficult to grasp that we were his 1st choice?. Why can't some on here believe that he may have genuinely wanted to join this club, and experience our atmosphere, to experience our support and to experience the PL?, and like ChezGiven said, he deserves as huge reception at Blackpool.

Interesting angle reg Beye and Cisse and another thing, to French players of this type the ambience of a club is as important as its stature, a starlet like Bafra thrives on the right kind of supporter and the right kind of passion which is what we almost alone in the PL are all about. I've travelled around Europe a fair bit in the last ten years and people are very happy to talk about Newcastle as much as say a Liverpool, we are still carrying that certain aura that excites certain kinds of players. I think he has looked at us and fancies running the midfield, I might add I would rahter have him than Nasri who is similar, but not as gifted.

On the comments page on Le Figaro today some were saying far better than Nasri. Also was interesting seeing their comments about us, some bad but some very good with one lad criticising the 'descendents' of Newcastle (critics) saying that our downfall was due to the stupid owner and we are one of the few clubs with the ability to break into the top 4. Bit over the top but as you say, shows the lingering reputation of the club (which we have the previous board to thank for).

A few people on here need to let go of their emotional baggage and enjoy the fact that we've brought in a mad/bad/crazy/creative bit of gallic flair. Its going to be fun.

On the comments page on Le Figaro today some were saying far better than Nasri. Also was interesting seeing their comments about us, some bad but some very good with one lad criticising the 'descendents' of Newcastle (critics) saying that our downfall was due to the stupid owner and we are one of the few clubs with the ability to break into the top 4. Bit over the top but as you say, shows the lingering reputation of the club (which we have the previous board to thank for).

A few people on here need to let go of their emotional baggage and enjoy the fact that we've brought in a mad/bad/crazy/creative bit of gallic flair. Its going to be fun.

Agreed.

He's certainly more gifted than Nasri, but perhaps lacking a bit on application. Wenger doesn't throw many words around and his comment on Bafra (Maradonnaesque) speaks volumes. He really has everything that his postion/s require and properly supported withing the club and made to feel wanted and taken to heart by the supporters ( I have no doubts about that) we really have ourselves that rare thing: a magician.

Agreed.

He's certainly more gifted than Nasri, but perhaps lacking a bit on application. Wenger doesn't throw many words around and his comment on Bafra (Maradonnaesque) speaks volumes. He really has everything that his postion/s require and properly supported withing the club and made to feel wanted and taken to heart by the supporters ( I have no doubts about that) we really have ourselves that rare thing: a magician.

wow. Another Tony Green, now that would be nice.

I personally think he's come to put himself in the shop window - to try and get himself a BIG Club somewhere across Europe. For NUFC it will mean he has to perform but I have a feeling he'll leave NUFC the way he came with much stroppiness and disruption.

I personally think he's come to put himself in the shop window - to try and get himself a BIG Club somewhere across Europe. For NUFC it will mean he has to perform but I have a feeling he'll leave NUFC the way he came with much stroppiness and disruption.

Without doubt a move like this always gives him that exposure and therefore a reduced risk on his side for the move. Thats a good thing imo as he may also enjoy himself and if we are successful enough, decide to stay. If he's great but we finish 17th, who would blame him for going to e.g. a CL club.

Who knows, lets see if he adapts first. If he turns out turd then we didnt waste money on him either.

Agreed.

Fitting then he'll debue against Blackpool. ;)

Agreed.

Fitting then he'll debue against Blackpool. ;)

but he's on loan, meaning he will fuck off ;)

Agreed.

Fitting then he'll debue against Blackpool. :icon_lol:

I'm very positive unless an insane offer comes in we can keep him for a few seasons and hopefully he'll enjoy it so much he'll also WANT to stay. Anyway can we enjoy this for a few months? ;)

Agreed.

Fitting then he'll debue against Blackpool. :icon_lol:

I'm very positive unless an insane offer comes in we can keep him for a few seasons and hopefully he'll enjoy it so much he'll also WANT to stay. Anyway can we enjoy this for a few months? ;)

Just adding to the quote pyramid.