Big Sam to exit club scene

TheMoog

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce has revealed that he will quit club management in three years to take on an international role.

The 55-year-old has been involved in coaching for over 20 years, and has spent much of that time at the highest level.

The rigours of being a football manager have taken their toll, though, and Allardyce underwent heart surgery in 2009 as the stresses began to damage his health.

He is now a lot more aware of what his body can handle and knows he would be foolish to push himself to the limit for longer than is medically advisable.

With that in mind, a switch to international management appeals greatly, as that would allow him to sever ties with the day-to-day grind of club coaching.

Target

Allardyce is not about to pack his bags any time soon, as he still feels he has unfinished business at Ewood Park, but has hinted that he could take on a new challenge inside the next few years.

"I would like to coach a national team if one came up," he said.

"Another two to three years in the Premier League is about what I want to do.

"We'll see how far we can take Blackburn - we'll see if we can get them beyond where most people expect."

Allardyce was interviewed for the England job in 2006, following Sven-Goran Eriksson's departure, but was pipped to the post by Steve McClaren

Cock-end.

Has he got visions on being this one that Capello wants to groom as his replacement?

The FA choose McLaren instead of you Sam - smell the coffee and realise you ain't getting that gig...

Guest Gordon McKeag

When he turns up on the SKY and ITV sets, I bet the people who he's on with think "oh for fuck sake". As Gemmill says he'll do a Peter Withe and manage some Asian minnow, or Carribbeans like St Kitts and Nevits.

The man offends me with his presence.

A lot of people outside of the NE I talk to say we were mad to let him go at the time. They just don't know how bad it was. The Backburn fans will have some clue, but I expect he'll be accepted by them because he's "going alright. Getting results." No offense, Castell but I really want him to get blackburn relegated just so I can point and say "See? See where we were going!?"

Uch. He sickens me.

I know it's only a preseason tournament but rovers have been easily beaten (2-1 but rovers have done nothing until the last ten in both matches) by both Rangers and AEK in the last week.

He may get there sooner than he thinks :unsure:

FSA couldn't handle the pressure here to put his teams out to win with confidence. He's a "let's try not to lose and see if we can nick a winner" manager. He wouldn't last five minutes if he got the England job.

That said, he could do ok with one of the other home nations, Scotland would be ideal for him IMO.

As Cloughy famously said (presumably aware that FSA was on his way to ruining football) "If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there." Take note, or ship out to as wisely suggested Thailand, or maybe North Korea?