Manchester U v Newcastle United.

Park Life

Guest Tuco Ramirez

If you look round the internet, and I do when we're playing teams, browse their forums, I can't think of a club anywhere where there's more infighting between supporters. I would say in my life I've seen more fights between toon fans fighting toon fans, than oppo fans. Sad but true and it manifests itself here too.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look round the internet, and I do when we're playing teams, browse their forums, I can't think of a club anywhere where there's more infighting between supporters. I would say in my life I've seen more fights between toon fans fighting toon fans, than oppo fans. Sad but true and it manifests itself here too.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-22026530/

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Fans claimed on a Blackburn newspaper message board that bottles were thrown by rival factions just before John was injured.

Mustve been three on three considering the size of their support.

Title

Biased assimilation and attitude polarization: The effects of prior theories on subsequently considered evidence.

Abstract

People who hold strong opinions on complex issues are likely to examine relevant empirical evidence in a biased manner. They are apt to accept "confirming" evidence at face value while subjecting "disconfirming" evidence to critical evaluation, and, as a result, draw undue support for their initial positions from mixed or random empirical findings. Thus, the result of exposing contending factions in a social dispute to an identical body of relevant empirical evidence may be not a narrowing of disagreement but rather an increase in polarization. To test these assumptions, 48 undergraduates supporting and opposing capital punishment were exposed to 2 purported studies, one seemingly confirming and one seemingly disconfirming their existing beliefs about the deterrent efficacy of the death penalty. As predicted, both proponents and opponents of capital punishment rated those results and procedures that confirmed their own beliefs to be the more convincing and probative ones, and they reported corresponding shifts in their beliefs as the various results and procedures were presented. The net effect of such evaluations and opinion shifts was the postulated increase in attitude polarization.

Reference

Lord, Charles G.; Ross, Lee; Lepper, Mark R.

Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol 37(11), Nov 1979, 2098-2109.

did it not come out in the end the stupid git tried to head the thing?

;)

I love how he's just failed to respond to answer my post and continued to repeat his bullshit. I just hope he has a younger relative that spots the signs early ;)

I hate mouthy young cunts. One of my biggest dislikes in life.

Alongside blacks, eastern europeans, germans, french, muslims and most type of asians I presume.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
I hate mouthy attention seeking cunts, the type that are always pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable just to get attention.

If you ever had a wiki page, surely the bit in bold would have to be included?

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Alongside blacks, eastern europeans, germans, french, muslims and most type of asians I presume.

Don't mind blacks and most type of Asians.

* I don't mind any of them just was waiting for an emotional comment.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

I hate mouthy attention seeking cunts, the type that are always pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable just to get attention.

there are a fair few of us on here who are just a bit too knowledgeable and worldly-wise for you lad.

there are a fair few of us on here who are just a bit too knowledgeable and worldly-wise for you lad.

Funniest thing I've ever read in my life.

There may well be a few wiser than me on here, but you fucking certainly aren't. You're on the brink of schizophrenic mate, and I'm being serious. Why haven't you answered my previous post? Because you don't have an answer to it that supports your blinded beliefs? ;)

;)

There may well be a few wiser than me on here, but you fucking certainly aren't. You're on the brink of schizophrenic mate, and I'm being serious. Why haven't you answered my previous post? Because you don't have an answer to it that supports your blinded beliefs? ;)

because you are basically a waste of time.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

;)

...and there it is. Renton wouldn't have responded even.

:o Because I took your argument apart, basically

:o Because I took your argument apart, basically

:nah:

Houghton's comments place an over-reliance on team spirit, maintaining an upbeat morale in the lockerroom carrying us through the campaign. It's flying by your pants stuff if it's to be a major determining factor in getting this playing group up every week, to survive a low-table & season long slog. It was of little value in the 80's when the board hid behind the guise of a good for business 'youth policy'.

How will team morale fare, in the event of Houghton not being afforded the necessary backing [a much needed injection of quality] before the window closes? It's bound to take a hit if a negative mindset attitude settles in among the playing group, a permiating feeling of having been sold down the river by an unambitious board.

It will take all of Houghton's somewhat-hyped man-management attributes to lift this lot for an entire campaign, in the event of the above. Especially pertinant considering that much of the 1st teamer's respective futures are not symbiotically linked to that of the club's fate, whether that be relegation or simply treading water in the lower tiers of the top flight ie. Collocini, Jonas, Enrique to name the key figures. And this includes the youngsters recruited from abroad, lads like Vuckic.

Injecting genuine quality into the squad creates a buzz in the lockerroom. Value wise, looking at it with a wider scope, it has it's intangibles. To be fair Houghton isn't Ardiles, a bloke who pretty much gave up in the end. But Houghton's motivational talks/man-management tactics will eventually wear thin, as was the joint case imo re-Kinnear [admittedly a shit manager, admittedly whose blue-collar/survival brand of football were at odds with our ball-playing outfielders at the time] and Shearer [damage was done by the time he took over] after the team sank like a stone towards relegation post the January window when Ashley opted for a short-term fix on the balance sheets.

Edited by Year Zero

Not injecting new faces of any noteable quality is just the kind of ignorant move that Ashley has proven himself entirely capable of committing.

A new player, of reasonable pedigree would have so many positive effetcs that it's almost impossible to reason not doing so:

(i) First and foremost improve the quality of a squad that is lacking in several areas

(ii) Improve general excitment amongst supporters resulting in increased attendances and merchandise sales

(iii) Improve team morale, increase competition for positions and remove complacency

Ultimately it would reduce the risk of another relegation.

Houghton's comments place an over-reliance on team spirit, maintaining an upbeat morale in the lockerroom carrying us through the campaign. It's flying by your pants stuff if it's to be a major determining factor in getting this playing group up every week, to survive a low-table & season long slog. It was of little value in the 80's when the board hid behind the guise of a good for business 'youth policy'.

How will team morale fare, in the event of Houghton not being afforded the necessary backing [a much needed injection of quality] before the window closes? It's bound to take a hit if a negative mindset attitude settles in among the playing group, a permiating feeling of having been sold down the river by an unambitious board.

It will take all of Houghton's somewhat-hyped man-management attributes to lift this lot for an entire campaign, in the event of the above. Especially pertinant considering that much of the 1st teamer's respective futures are not symbiotically linked to that of the club's fate, whether that be relegation or simply treading water in the lower tiers of the top flight ie. Collocini, Jonas, Enrique to name the key figures. And this includes the youngsters recruited from abroad, lads like Vuckic.

Injecting genuine quality into the squad creates a buzz in the lockerroom. Value wise, looking at it with a wider scope, it has it's intangibles. To be fair Houghton isn't Ardiles, a bloke who pretty much gave up in the end. But Houghton's motivational talks/man-management tactics will eventually wear thin, as was the joint case imo re-Kinnear [admittedly a shit manager, admittedly whose blue-collar/survival brand of football were at odds with our ball-playing outfielders at the time] and Shearer [damage was done by the time he took over] after the team sank like a stone towards relegation post the January window when Ashley opted for a short-term fix on the balance sheets.

Ray? ;)

Tbf we haven't been competing with Man Utd for years.

At least 6. The cup semi-final in 2005 was no better than yesterday's performance. Last time we were competing with them was under Robson (probably the game where Keane was sent off having tried to lamp Shearer) and even then they always just had the edge.

We have had a few beatings by them, but the difference was that we had a quality enough to have a go and think we had a chance to give as good as we got. The worst thing of all is just to sit back and accept inferiority and be happy to keep the score down.

That 2-6 game was a freak, we always had a chance against them, and if we'd not missed a sitter at 1-0 after 30 mins we'd have been 2-0 up instead of 1-4 down at half time. The difference is SBR was an intelligent man, but it doesn't take a genius to build a good team. Your teams need five things which largely only a manager can provide:

Character: It seemed every week we'd go behind in the good days under Robson, we did against Leeds four times in that era to my mind, we even did it at Highbury we fought for 90 minutes

Ability/spotting ability: Classic case with Bellers, absolutely ridiculed at Coventry, FFS questioned SBR's desire to bring him in, but he knew he wasn't a winger which is where he was employed there, brung him in the middle and he was sensational for us at times, a real success. You need a team of talented players.

Pace: I'm a firm believer that at least 6 of your players have to be exceptionally quick, we had Dyer, Bellamy, Robert was quick, Jenas, Bernard had pace, and that pace made the difference we were as quick as Arsenal were then for a while.

Team Spirit: You can have all of the above but if you don't have this you underperform massively

Respect for the club: There wasn't too many of them who were wanting to be away we were viewed with respect we had players who we couldn't even dream of now who were linked with us, and we could attract them

To be honest, I don't care how many times I hear what a great bunch of lads there are at the toon, and how good the team spirit is, I was in the motor earlier listening to Super Alc, and he was spot on. Barton last night played like he genuinely didn't care, and there were one or two others, but particularly Barton. I don't think the team spirit is as good as it's made out, and that is the only one of those five facets you could even put an argument up for saying we have across the side, the squad and the club.

SBR got the lot, KK got the lot, and until we have a manager who can get these five assets back in the team then I'm afraid the best we can hope to be is a massively supported Bolton. I can't understand managers who sign slow players. Look at Vieira, a magnificent player for Arsenal for years, but everyone knows he's finished because he can't run, Mancini isn't a brilliant manager and he'll be gone. If I was a chairman of a football club I'd judge my managers performance over three years with those criteria I've listed above, and if we're all honest we have none of them.

One of your best posts Stevie. ;)

Yeah, spot on there Stevie baby. Although it made me sad to read it if you know what I mean.

Agreed with it too. The big pointer of all of them is the pace IMO. The two periods I have seem this club produce a successful team - 1992-97 & 2001-04 we had devestating pace.

We've had absolutely none since Dyer left in reality.