Andy Carroll had his big chance, and blew it.

Kevin

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the retraction should be a good read ;)

Everyone knows they love a No 9 at Newcastle. It takes a special sort of player to handle that pressure. Andy Carroll stole the show this weekend, bouncing back from a bad miss at Manchester United to score a hattrick against Aston Villa. That took real courage and changed a few minds: certainly mine. Good luck to him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...o=feeds-newsxml

:cuppa:

David Pleat gushing with praise for Carroll..

Andy Carroll, wearing the famed Geordie No9 shirt, was instructed to use his excellent heading ability and pull beyond the back post at every opportunity when the ball was wide. The 21-year-old gave the young centre-back Ciaran Clark a constant headache. The striker flicked headers from central positions, and his positioning at the back post when the play was wide provided a clear ascendancy over both centre-backs and full-backs when the ball was delivered.

His was a masterclass in leading the line without a partner alongside him. Kevin Nolan was his nearest accomplice, with Joey Barton foraging and Alan Smith, who covered Stephen Ireland's movement on his debut with determined and disciplined marking, anchoring.

Carroll was an outstanding and confident contributor – a near-certainty to progress to the international stage. the England assistant manager, Franco Baldini, was watching and would have compared him most favourably with the performance of a sluggish Carlton Cole at Upton Park on Saturday.

The Newcastle striker used the space created by having two genuine wingers patrolling the flanks, and Luke Young and Stephen Warnock were overwhelmed against direct dribbling opponents. Stilian Petrov was overworked as Newcastle used the full width of the pitch. Marc Albrighton and Stewart Downing could not affect the supply, Ashley Young needed to drop deeper and, with Ireland well marked, Petrov had too much to do.

Kevin MacDonald may reflect that he might have marked Carroll with the more experienced Richard Dunne. Carroll worked across the box, making himself available as a target, both with his flicks well read by Nolan running forward, and when used as a barrier to retain possession high up the field.

Villa offered little in an attacking sense, forced to defend corners, aerial raids and exciting wing play. Hughton and Colin Calderwood have integrated players at Newcastle whose careers have stalled, such as Wayne Routledge, James Perch and Mike Williamson, with talented and experienced players. But it was the local lad, Carroll, who was head and shoulders above the rest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...tle-aston-villa

:cuppa:

At kick off the bloke stood next to us told us that Carroll wasn't good enough, FACT!

You can imagine his face 90 minutes later :cuppa:

That wasn't me but a few months ago I was highly sceptical that Caroll could be an effective striker at this level. He's come on amazingly and I'm happy to be proved completely wrong. Fantastic performance and clearly not a one-off.

The big thing for me is the massive improvement in his link up play. For long-periods last season his flick-ons seemed to have no direction or purpose - whereas today they were all measured and more often than not found the man he was looking for.

Happy to hold my hands up and say that this time last year I wasn't too fussed on him - the year in the Championship seems to have done him the world of good - and it's good to see somebody develop the way he has since January.

Need to keep his feet on the ground with all this praise being lavished on them. Dead pleased for him though.

I right enough like. Though I think CH is a good bloke to do that.

Need to keep his feet on the ground with all this praise being lavished on them. Dead pleased for him though.

Aye because part of the improvement is down to him working his bollocks off rather than strutting about. Delighted for him though, it was an awesome display imo.

Everyone knows they love a No 9 at Newcastle. It takes a special sort of player to handle that pressure. Andy Carroll stole the show this weekend, bouncing back from a bad miss at Manchester United to score a hattrick against Aston Villa. That took real courage and changed a few minds: certainly mine. Good luck to him.

If he's shit next week, I'm sure his mind will change again.

Aye because part of the improvement is down to him working his bollocks off rather than strutting about. Delighted for him though, it was an awesome display imo.

Giving him the number 9 shirt could have been an astute move in that sense.

Hughton needs to have a word with Carroll sharpish!

He can't go putting in performances like that in before the transfer window closes. Ashley is counting the cash as we speak :lol:

Seriously, he looks a player. Always knew he was good in the air but last week his workrate impressed me and this week he showed he can play on the deck.

Going back to when he broke into the reserves I thought his greatest asset was his work rate, constantly moving off the ball and working the opposition defence hard. I thought comparisons to Shearer were warranted then because of the way he always seemed to beat the defender to head/chest balls that had come over the top with his back to goal and always retained posession for the team.

He seemed to struggle with the step up in quality when he broke into the first team though. He looked good, but he never impressed me as much as he had in the reserves, never seemed as hungry and i was never as confident about him being our first choice striker in the top flight. I think he's taken it up a notch this last couple of games though, whether it's the number 9 shirt, being first choice even when all the strikers are fit, being in the Premier League, or something Hughton has said, it's great to see.

It would've been great to see him alongside Bellers this season.

Bellamy would of been absolutely perfect alongside Carrol, not a fan of Bellamy as a person but no one can doubt his ability.

There must be a rapid frontman that plays on the last defenders shoulder that would fit the bill?