Andy Carroll had his big chance, and blew it.

Kevin

The self-styled big man is not back, not yet. Fortunately, Wayne Rooney is no longer being left to carry Manchester United’s campaign on his shoulders alone, and will not be until he has found his form again.

On Monday night, Dimitar Berbatov shouldered some of the burden, and all’s well that ends well.

Prospects are not as bright for Andy Carroll. Newcastle United, newly arrived and undercooked considering the extent of the challenge, will look to play the Premier League’s biggest hitters on the counter attack, meaning Carroll will lead the line alone and must have a dead-eyed instinct for goal. He is not really that type of player, sadly.

Despite his South American appearance, he is an old-fashioned Englishman in style, honest and energetic, a bit of a handful, but hardly clinical. On such details, games change.

While Carroll missed Newcastle’s best chance, and Rooney grafted to little effect by his standards, Berbatov was the essence of cold, continental finishing power.

The moment he got inside Jose Enrique, the Newcastle defender, in the 32nd minute, there was only one outcome. Goalkeeper Steve Harper is one of the best things about Chris Hughton’s team but Berbatov gave him no chance. From there, the outcome was barely disputed.

Rooney left the pitch after 62 minutes to warm but hardly enthused applause. Everybody can see he is struggling right now, perhaps not as lacklustre as he was during the World Cup, but not the player of last year.

Whatever the malaise, Sir Alex Ferguson will be hoping it clears soon. He is not relying on Rooney alone — far from it, as the introduction of the instant crowd favourite Javier Hernandez demonstrated — but the player is still vital to Manchester United’s title ambitions.

This is the cunt that wrote this:

samuels460.jpg

Fat bastard :lol:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with his comments about Carroll at all tbh. He's got to get used to the PL and making the most of the few chances that come his way, he had a good all round game as it happens, he just needed to do better with the chance 5 yards out in the first half. He could develop into a very good centre forward, which samuels fails to acknowledge, but it's just a red top puff piece so who cares?

Did you see how many times Carroll was back in midfield helping out. And i recall him being back in defence a couple of times helping out. He worked his arse off, and so did Smith.

Yeah thats true he was back all the time. Smith worked his socks off too.

Berbatov was the essence of cold, continental finishing power.

Aside from that 1 on 1 he missed from 6yards?

Fair play to him for having a go at a 20year old on his first game in Old Trafford. All hail Fergie!

So Carroll is finished? He only gets one chance and he's done for?

What if he'd put away the header? Would he be on the road to greatness?

I saw Berbatov waste the move of the game when he shot 15 feet wide from 6 feet out. Rooney too, hit a low flying plane from six yards out. Is that the sort of clinical finishing he must have?

Carroll never stopped running. His movement alone to get himself the free header would have had the fat pig drooling if it was Drogba.

One of the few plusses for us on the night.

how was that his big chance? he was always on a hiding to nothing playing up top on hi own with no one getting forward to support him.

fat pig should stick to eating pies and write about carrol in a few months time

So Carroll is finished? He only gets one chance and he's done for?

What if he'd put away the header? Would he be on the road to greatness?

I saw Berbatov waste the move of the game when he shot 15 feet wide from 6 feet out. Rooney too, hit a low flying plane from six yards out. Is that the sort of clinical finishing he must have?

Carroll never stopped running. His movement alone to get himself the free header would have had the fat pig drooling if it was Drogba.

One of the few plusses for us on the night.

:lol:

Smith was fucking wank man. It's like playing with 10 men with him on the field.

was he worse than barton though? there's a head scratcher for you

Yes, comfortably.

Smith was fucking wank man. It's like playing with 10 men with him on the field.

Yes, comfortably.

barton seemed to give the ball away every time he tried to play a pass.

None of our three cms stood up to he counted really last night, guthrie at least ha the energy Nolan lacks but since kn is captain now followed by smith I hold little hope of either being dropped, last night further reinforced our need for a proper covering midfielder with a good engine like this fer lad were linked with or someone like that

Yes, comfortably.

barton seemed to give the ball away every time he tried to play a pass.

I know but at least he tries the difficult pass etc. I'm not really a big Barton fan or trying to say he did well last night but he drives the team forward a bit (or tries to). Smith is literally on the CBs toes for the whole match apart from when he's on his arse mistiming a tackle. He's absolutely fucking finished. Fuck off to Rangers, please.

Edited by alex

i think they're both crap.

nolan doesn't look up to the pace of this league either does he to be fair.

You must be happy as a pig in shit now you can revert to type tbh :lol:

When the hard-working Carroll neatly won a corner off Nemanja Vidic, the visitors almost scored. As he walked to the flag, Joey Barton was predictably booed by the Stretford End for being Barton, for being a former City player, for being from Merseyside, although it could have been for the moustache which indicated he’d mistaken the occasion for a Terry Thomas tribute night.

Barton swept in a good corner, picking out Carroll’s clever run. The striker had eluded Vidic but wasted the free header, powering it wide.

Carroll then demonstrated his importance at defending set-pieces, leaping up to head clear a Nani corner. Newcastle’s work ethic was excellent, the warmly-received Alan Smith throwing himself in the way of a John O’Shea drive. Kevin Nolan then blocked a Nani free-kick.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...tch-report.html

A fairer appraisal of Carroll, less interested in winding up Newcastle fans, from Henry Winter.

i love a moan as much as the next man, but honestly, i'd rather we had players suited to this division and less to moan about.

what's worrying for me is that nolan has been made captain. on last night's evidence he looks far from an automatic starter at this level. i'd walk him for guthrie when he's fit again.

Winter has his head screwed on:

Some of his twitter quotes yesterday:

Newcastle United are back, their fans are raucous and their shirts are off. It's like they've never been away. Great OT reception for Smith

Now that's a sign of statesmanship...Ryan Giggs warming up and being applauded by United fans - Newcastle United fans. Class

Mistake costs Newcastle....Jonas Gutierrez loses ball, Scholes sets up Berbatov. 1-0. Reminder of importance of concentration in #EPL

i love a moan as much as the next man, but honestly, i'd rather we had players suited to this division and less to moan about.

what's worrying for me is that nolan has been made captain. on last night's evidence he looks far from an automatic starter at this level. i'd walk him for guthrie when he's fit again.

I agree about Nolan (and Smith is obviously one of the first names on the team sheet too). It's hard for Hughton as they were a big part of the dressing room spirit etc. last year but if he wants to make it as a PL manager he'll have to be ruthless. I think at least Nolan offers something though whereas Smith offers fuck all. And at least one of them are going to play if he plays a nominal 5 man midfield like last night (with our current options anyway). I hope Smith gets injured tbh so he's forced to leave him out again.